Connecticut/Northeast OFC'ers
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-15 9:39 PM (#427229)
Subject: Connecticut/Northeast OFC'ers

Who are all the Connecticut OFC'ers? (or Northeast OFC'ers) I was thinking that maybe we could do a little get-together / jam session at someone's place. Unfortunately, my two-bedroom condo wouldn't work, but maybe somewhere else?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-02-15 10:09 PM (#427230 - in reply to #427229)
Subject: Re: Connecticut/Northeast OFC'ers

It might be the only way to ever have a get-together in that area again.
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 4:49 AM (#427231 - in reply to #427229)

AlanM,
PEZ and I have been talking about trying to get something a little bigger together more towards the end of spring,but, that does seem to be the problem. None of us seem to have a place big enough to have a decent Jam. I have a 1 Bedroom Apt (Thanks Ex! :mad: ) PEZ is also in an Apt.
But if you and others want to get together informally I'm in.

Bob
Beggin
Posted 2009-02-16 8:30 AM (#427232 - in reply to #427229)

The first Southern Style Jam, we rented a large Gazebo at a park in Asheville, NC. Ran a power cord from the bathroom and setup a PA system. We had a great time and so did the many park walkers.

Just food for thought!
alpep
Posted 2009-02-16 8:33 AM (#427233 - in reply to #427229)

I have a venue available in jersey it has a complete stage and PA system. Of course I would have to check on the availability the cost is rather reasonable.
it would most likely have to occur on a sat afternoon or a sunday and that is contingent upon what elese is scheduled
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-16 8:58 AM (#427234 - in reply to #427229)

How many of us are in the New England/Northeast area that would possibly attend?
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 9:11 AM (#427235 - in reply to #427229)

As I stated in my above post, PEZ and I are working on a couple of things for mid May or mid June (Not Memorial day wkend). There is a Pool Club house at the pool shared by my Apt and the Condo next to us. It is the Condo's Clubhouse and I won't know until atleast after March 1st if they will rent it out to me. I have to call them. It's got ample parking. The Pool won't be openned the Wkend I'm thinking, we could BBQ for eats. I have a 8 channel PA we could use. There is a motel 3 1/2 miles down the road if people stayed over night (same Motel that UCONN Men and Women opponents use at times when they visit for games) I didn't want to really say anything until it was more set in stone, but with all that is starting to be thrown out, I thought I should.
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-16 9:17 AM (#427236 - in reply to #427229)

I have just spoken with the Hartford Hilton about sleeping rooms and a banquet room for the get together. The "group" manager was very interested in our get together and will get back to me tomorrow with some details on price. She liked the idea of guests being able to pop in for a little entertainment. Probably it will be cost prohibitive, but if you don't ask, you'll never know, right?
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2009-02-16 9:44 AM (#427237 - in reply to #427229)

Will this gathering be open for non-New England members? Would love to come around.

Karl
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 10:13 AM (#427238 - in reply to #427229)

EVERYONE is welcome!

Kevin, We can be sure that the Hartford Hilton would be costly. It's also in downtown Hartford if I'm not mistaken and Parking would also be an issue. WE do appreciate the effort! :) If there are those that are "UP" to that possibility then we should look into it. As far as those that are in my situation of being Unemployed, since I am less the 20 min's from Hartford and if those of you that were to come don't mind a couch, cot or floor, I'd be able to squeeze 3-4 at my Apt. ( for half the cost of the Hilton LOL!) Probably getting ahead of myself,BUT, the excitment and anticipation is killing me!!! :D ;) !!
G8r
Posted 2009-02-16 10:32 AM (#427239 - in reply to #427229)

Y'all do this. Ain't fair that us Wild-Eyed Southern Boys have all the fun.
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-16 10:41 AM (#427240 - in reply to #427229)

Well, again, you never know until you ask. Your offer, BT, to sleep 3 or four is great but that will leave others needing a room somewhere else. There is financial power in numbers and that goes for hotel accommodations. The more people in a group, the cheaper the room rate. Plus, it would be nice to have all the members in one central location in the evening to share dinner, drinks, etc. It sure doesn't need to be the Hartford Hilton, but maybe another hotel or motel venue that would be less costly than the Hilton Hartford. Any suggestions, BT or PEZ? Again, the group rate at a hotel/motel is always much better than the individual rate. And while we're throwing everything out there, can we get a count on this thread on how many would be "likely" to attend a NorthEast gathering sometime in early to mid June. Let's get a count.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-16 11:19 AM (#427241 - in reply to #427229)

I would love to make one of these, perhaps this is the year? I will have enough room in the car for another passenger and guitar or two.

Randy
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-16 11:40 AM (#427242 - in reply to #427229)

Having crossed borders (cultural and national) to attend two gatherings so far I can concur. We are a great group and the gathering is worth it.

There may be an 'older' motel with meeting room they throw in for free for a bulk purchase. Check with a Chamber of Commerce in you area. Or a bar/pub/roadhouse with rooms...
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 11:54 AM (#427243 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Charlie Ramon:
Will this gathering be open for non-New England members? Would love to come around.

Karl
Couple rapid-fire responses: As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. I can supply a movie camera. Unless someone has a better one, that is.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-16 11:54 AM (#427244 - in reply to #427229)

Well never get this figured out before the space debris from that collision destroys all our communication satellites anyway. Hope you all have a land line. And we all thought wireless frequencies were are biggest worries.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 11:55 AM (#427245 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Wagonmaster:
I have just spoken with the Hartford Hilton about sleeping rooms and a banquet room for the get together. The "group" manager was very interested in our get together and will get back to me tomorrow with some details on price. She liked the idea of guests being able to pop in for a little entertainment. Probably it will be cost prohibitive, but if you don't ask, you'll never know, right?
Thanks, WM -- so right! It never hurts to ask. Let's see what they come back with.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-02-16 11:56 AM (#427246 - in reply to #427229)

Devil's Hop Yard would be a great place for you guys. I attended a wedding reception there once. They have large covered pavillions with electricity. (They also have great trout fishing. :D ) I believe they have camping facilities, and you can furnish your own beer. If money is a problem, this seems like an economical way to hold a get-together in an absolutely beautiful setting. Wish I could come. :(
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 11:58 AM (#427247 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by BT717:
As I stated in my above post, PEZ and I are working on a couple of things for mid May or mid June (Not Memorial day wkend). There is a Pool Club house at the pool shared by my Apt and the Condo next to us. It is the Condo's Clubhouse and I won't know until atleast after March 1st if they will rent it out to me. I have to call them. It's got ample parking. The Pool won't be openned the Wkend I'm thinking, we could BBQ for eats. I have a 8 channel PA we could use. There is a motel 3 1/2 miles down the road if people stayed over night (same Motel that UCONN Men and Women opponents use at times when they visit for games) I didn't want to really say anything until it was more set in stone, but with all that is starting to be thrown out, I thought I should.
I don't want to step on what you and PEZ are working on...
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 12:00 PM (#427248 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by AlanM:
Who are all the Connecticut OFC'ers? (or Northeast OFC'ers) I was thinking that maybe we could do a little get-together / jam session at someone's place. Unfortunately, my two-bedroom condo wouldn't work, but maybe somewhere else?
The Ex: the very reason I'M in a two-bedroom condo! Aren't they great?!?!?!? NOT!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 12:02 PM (#427249 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by CanterburyStrings:
Devil's Hop Yard would be a great place for you guys. I attended a wedding reception there once. They have large covered pavillions with electricity. (They also have great trout fishing. :D ) I believe they have camping facilities, and you can furnish your own beer. If money is a problem, this seems like an economical way to hold a get-together in an absolutely beautiful setting. Wish I could come. :(
Thanks, Canterbury! Great idea! You have a Connecticut connection, don't you!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 12:05 PM (#427250 - in reply to #427229)

And while we're throwing everything out there, can we get a count on this thread on how many would be "likely" to attend a NorthEast gathering sometime in early to mid June. Let's get a count.
Assuming the weekend? I'm in. So, 1 (so far).
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 12:09 PM (#427251 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Beggin:
The first Southern Style Jam, we rented a large Gazebo at a park in Asheville, NC. Ran a power cord from the bathroom and setup a PA system. We had a great time and so did the many park walkers.

Just food for thought!
Great thought! Village green type of thing. I like the idea of a covered venue (in case of rain.) So, maybe a park gazebo as Plan A, and a Hotel-type venue as a Plan B? Assuming that is, that we can grab such a venue on, say, five-days notice -- about the amount of time that the five-day forecast has any real level of confidence.

Sorry...rambling a bit...I just HATE the idea of a rain-out! Lots of people get inconvenienced.
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 12:14 PM (#427252 - in reply to #427229)

Alan,
You are more then welcome to get involved and help out. I think the more help or options we have the better chance this will happen.
Canterbury use to live in Canterbury , CT.

Kevin,
Again your contribution and effort is appreciated
and needed. I was only giving you some facts about the Hartford Hilton and offering up options for others in my shoes. I would think that as long as we have something put together by Mid March it would give all plenty of time to make plans to come.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-16 12:33 PM (#427253 - in reply to #427229)

I know there are some members from western/central NY. If they end up going and want a ride the rest of the way out the Mass Pike let me know. If this happens I will be getting on the NYS Thruway at the Fonda exit? I think that's #29 ? I was going to use my little Diesel VW but if there is more interest.... I also have a Dodge Magnum for transportation and it comfotably seats three and three or four guitars in back and an amp or gig bags etc.

Randy
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-16 1:00 PM (#427254 - in reply to #427229)

Kevin,
Again your contribution and effort is appreciated
and needed. I was only giving you some facts about the Hartford Hilton and offering up options for others in my shoes. I would think that as long as we have something put together by Mid March it would give all plenty of time to make plans to come.

Of course, I understand that. We need anyone who can make a suggestion, to make it. There are some good ones here. The more stuff we throw out, the more likely it is that we'll come up with something that works. I guess that my point is no matter what venue is contacted, they ought to be made aware that this will be a group and as such, we should be given a group rate. Further, this group is offering the venue free entertainment. Those two things are worth a substantial discount. Finally, as you have made clear, BT, this is a Northeast gathering but that is just a geographical designation, certainly it includes any OFC'er who wishes to attend. The more, the merrier, is right. Please chime in now if you even think you might attend. Suggesting a number of people to a venue is very helpful.
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 2:35 PM (#427255 - in reply to #427229)

"I guess that my point is no matter what venue is contacted, they ought to be made aware that this will be a group and as such, we should be given a group rate."

Agreed!!!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 2:37 PM (#427256 - in reply to #427229)

Head count, anyone?
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 2:50 PM (#427257 - in reply to #427229)

Head count, anyone?
I count 5 on this thread showing Interest.I know PEZ is in thats 6. When I saw Mike (Crimsonlake) last week at the M.S. he said if we had something and the dates worked out he'd be interested, thats 7 possible. But,to get a better idea of who would be interested, I think tonight after members get home from work and online we'll get a better idea.
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-16 3:06 PM (#427258 - in reply to #427229)

Head count, anyone?
I think tonight after members get home from work and online we'll get a better idea.

You do realize that you have just pointed out to the rest of this board that we having nothing to do all day but to post on this board!!!!! :D
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 3:10 PM (#427259 - in reply to #427229)

Lol! I'm doing this from work! Sneaking around behind my boss' back! I'm probably the reason the economy is as it is.

Oops...sorry 'bout that, guys!
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 3:17 PM (#427260 - in reply to #427229)

Head count, anyone?
I think tonight after members get home from work and online we'll get a better idea.

You do realize that you have just pointed out to the rest of this board that we having nothing to do all day but to post on this board!!!!! :D
I've been DISCOVERED!!!! :eek: ;)
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-16 8:01 PM (#427261 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by G8r:
Y'all do this. Ain't fair that us Wild-Eyed Southern Boys have all the fun.
Ah was a-thinkin' that vurruh thought! (I can write Southern too).
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-16 10:03 PM (#427262 - in reply to #427229)

QUOTE]Originally posted by AlanM:
[QB]
[qb] The first Southern Style Jam, we rented a large Gazebo at a park in Asheville, NC. Ran a power cord from the bathroom and setup a PA system. We had a great time and so did the many park walkers.

A further thought on your thought is that, weather wise, May and June are not quite the same in New England as they are in Ashville, NC!!! :eek: I would like to ask how many you Rebs usually have in attendance. I'd like to see more response by those interested in this Northeast gathering. Is seven or eight the usual size? I wonder, is there any record of the largest gathering ever held, and where?
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-02-16 10:14 PM (#427263 - in reply to #427229)

I think SS-1 had 8, and g8rbowl-2 had 12. If you check out the fan gatherings section, you'll see some slim crowds and some larger ones, but everybody is happy.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-16 10:25 PM (#427264 - in reply to #427229)

As Bob said, I'm in if I'm available. June would be much better - the later the better. My weekends are pretty tied up from March through the end of school with kids sports.

I would say the tour was by far the biggest gathering. Keiths was a good size too. It looked like the last NE gathering in NJ was a decent size as well.
Steve A
Posted 2009-02-17 12:00 AM (#427265 - in reply to #427229)

I live in Agawam, MA. It is a border town to northern CT. I am about 15 minutes from Bradley Airport and 30 minutes from Hartford. My wife runs a small community theater with a stage, sound system and seating for approx 125. Depending on the weekend it could be a great site for a get together. It would definitely have to be before the kids get out of school for the summer as the run stage camps all summer. Oh- I am in depending on the timing of course.
God bless,
Steve
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-17 12:06 AM (#427266 - in reply to #427229)

It looked like the last NE gathering in NJ was a decent size as well.

Which brings us to the other option. I'm not married to the CT location. If NJ would prove more convenient for folks to travel to. That would be fine with me. Out of anyone in the Northeast region, I believe that I would have the farthest to travel, but I don't mind. Al said that he may have a lead on a place with stage and PA system, etc. He did mention a Sunday, though, and that would not be convenient for me. I would need that day to travel back, as I believe most people would. CT, NJ, PA, RI, 6 people, 8 people, 20 people, it really doesn't matter. Let's just pick a place ,lock it in and have a fun weekend.
2stix
Posted 2009-02-17 12:48 AM (#427267 - in reply to #427229)

Depending on the date, I would love to attend and meet all of you. Steve A, didn't realize there was another member in town! Welcome aboard.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-02-17 2:52 AM (#427268 - in reply to #427229)

Wow "Devil's Hopyard" haven't heard that name in awhile... my old back yard actually. Not sure where people would stay unless they are into camping.

If you are thinking anywhere near Hartford, the Homewood Suites by Hilton® Hartford/Windsor Locks I'm sure would love to have ya. They were always VERY gracious to have the gang there when we had the Factory Tour and Convention. Mention it's a gathering of the Ovation Fan Club and they'll probably fix ya right up.
PEZ
Posted 2009-02-17 3:43 AM (#427269 - in reply to #427229)

I had offered can likily use my frat house I'm in at Trinity College. We need todo would supply enough beer for lose living in the house and and throw bugers and dogs on. I have PA
deadfish
Posted 2009-02-17 7:15 AM (#427270 - in reply to #427229)

Count me in...doubt if I'll have my guitar ready by spring but I'ld sure like to meet with you folks.

Rick C.

Ps...Devils Hopyard is very scenic...nice little set of falls
BT717
Posted 2009-02-17 8:31 AM (#427271 - in reply to #427229)

It looked like the last NE gathering in NJ was a decent size as well.

Which brings us to the other option. I'm not married to the CT location. If NJ would prove more convenient for folks to travel to. That would be fine with me. Out of anyone in the Northeast region, I believe that I would have the farthest to travel, but I don't mind. Al said that he may have a lead on a place with stage and PA system, etc. He did mention a Sunday, though, and that would not be convenient for me. I would need that day to travel back, as I believe most people would. CT, NJ, PA, RI, 6 people, 8 people, 20 people, it really doesn't matter. Let's just pick a place ,lock it in and have a fun weekend.
2 "trains" of thought here. With SteveA, 2stix and Deadfish, that makes approx 7-8 within 1 hour of each other in Northern Ct /Southern Ma. If this is a Ct/NE gathering in Name only, then Ct would be a logical choice for Members in Northern N.E. and NY/NJ. If we move it further South, then more/other members may be able to attend,BUT,It may not allow for the Northern NE'ers other than Wagonmaster to come.
If Al can get a venue Why not schedule the gathering's 4-6 weeks apart and have 2? That way some can make 1, others can make both and it opens it up to even more members in a larger geographic location. Justa thought here. :)
BT717
Posted 2009-02-17 8:34 AM (#427272 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by deadfish:
Count me in...doubt if I'll have my guitar ready by spring but I'ld sure like to meet with you folks.

Rick C.

Ps...Devils Hopyard is very scenic...nice little set of falls
Rick, That shouldn't be a problem as there are always extra guitars to play at these things. I'd bring 2 myself and you could play one of them. :)
an4340
Posted 2009-02-17 9:51 AM (#427273 - in reply to #427229)

I wouldn't mind having a tune up at my place for the Albany area people, say three weeks prior to either the NJ or CT/MA getogethers. I know there are a couple of us within a 50 mile area.
deadfish
Posted 2009-02-17 11:15 AM (#427274 - in reply to #427229)

]Rick, That shouldn't be a problem as there are always extra guitars to play at these things. I'd bring 2 myself and you could play one of them. :) [/QB]

That's cool...I suppose I could also bring my (dare I say...) "kent" :D
G8r
Posted 2009-02-17 11:27 AM (#427275 - in reply to #427229)

At the last G8rBowl there were 7 woodboxes. Heck, there was even one of those funny looking and funnier sounding circle-shaped things with the drum top and 5 strings...

PEZ
Posted 2009-02-17 1:48 PM (#427276 - in reply to #427229)

QUOTE]Originally posted by AlanM:
[QB]
[qb] The first Southern Style Jam, we rented a large Gazebo at a park in Asheville, NC. Ran a power cord from the bathroom and setup a PA system. We had a great time and so did the many park walkers.

A further thought on your thought is that, weather wise, May and June are not quite the same in New England as they are in Ashville, NC!!! :eek: I would like to ask how many you Rebs usually have in attendance. I'd like to see more response by those interested in this Northeast gathering. Is seven or eight the usual size? I wonder, is there any record of the largest gathering ever held, and where?
My clothes needed 2 days to dry out after 1/2 on stage in sc.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 8:28 AM (#427277 - in reply to #427229)

Next Steps? It looks as though we have 5-10 people ready to participate. And, we have some with date preferences. Anyone want to propose a date and a place? Me? I'm a single daddy with two kids (14 and 8), so my traveling flexibility is limited. Unless, of couse, kids are welcome.

Wagon: you made some calls...did yo ufind anything out?
Phil Wong
Posted 2009-02-19 8:42 AM (#427278 - in reply to #427229)

I would like to attend but cannot commit until a date and location are set.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-19 8:50 AM (#427279 - in reply to #427229)

Alan - I bring my son Nicky to as many gatherings as I can. He's even acquired a bit of a southern accent (thanks Jim!).
G8r
Posted 2009-02-19 9:25 AM (#427280 - in reply to #427229)

Nicky's a great kid, puts up with all us Old Farts. He plays a mean "Wish You Were Here", too.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 9:33 AM (#427281 - in reply to #427229)

Great! That helps my traveling flexibility a GREAT deal!

Plus, it might spark a greater interest in the guitar on the part of my young 'uns! I'm hoping for that, at least!

Crimson: how old is Nicky?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-19 9:43 AM (#427282 - in reply to #427229)

Alan - he's 12. I believe he was 10 when he went to his first gathering. He got up and played (solo!) and fit right in. He's made some friends and it definitely keeps his interest in playing alive.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-19 9:50 AM (#427283 - in reply to #427229)

Alan, I'm assuming that your son doesn't have an irrational fear of llamas?
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 9:53 AM (#427284 - in reply to #427229)

Beautiful! These things sound like LOTs of fun! I can't wait...especially with Spring right around the corner!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 9:54 AM (#427285 - in reply to #427229)

No llama fears...but he might rassle one to the ground and make it cry, "Uncle!" Is that acceptable behavior from an 8-year old?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-19 9:56 AM (#427286 - in reply to #427229)

No llama fears...but he might rassle one to the ground and make it cry, "Uncle!" Is that acceptable behavior from an 8-year old?
He'd fit right in.....
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 10:00 AM (#427287 - in reply to #427229)

Lol! In truth, both my kids are very well-behaved...not sure where thay came by that, but I'm not complaining...I DO know that Alex is starting to become interested in playing a musical instrument...he's not sure whether he wants to go guitar, or drums, or bass, or all three...this little get-together may send him more solidly in a direction. I'm hoping for the guitar...I'd LOVE to do in-home duets!

Crimson: I'm hoping that maybe as a result of seeing and listening to Nicky play, BOTH my kids will see that it's a LOT of fun to play music with others!

Let's do this thing!
an4340
Posted 2009-02-19 10:04 AM (#427288 - in reply to #427229)

April 15 is out. I'll be doing my taxes that day.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 10:20 AM (#427289 - in reply to #427229)

Lol! Agreed about April 15!

I gather from the thread above that Memorial Day weekend is out as well. Also, if I've understood correctly, there are ancillary activities that have to be figured into the planning, to wit:
* Picnic-type activities, or indoor cooking, depending on time-of-year and weather (who provides the food and who prepares it? olunteers? Pot-luck?)
* Beer consumption (Is this BYOB)
* Guitar posing and photographing (required equipment: digital camera)
* Attendee posing and photographing
* The occasional jam session (any rules [written or unwritten] around these?)
* Photographing and video-taking of the occasional jam session
* Miscellaneous frivolity

I guess I'm just trying to understand whether there is a "checklist" or a recipe for cooking up one of these gatherings. And, if so, does anyone have it? If not, I might make one in order to facilitate a greater frequency for these things...

Just some thoughts and ideas...
G8r
Posted 2009-02-19 10:45 AM (#427290 - in reply to #427229)

Maybe it's a Southern thang, but we tend to be pretty loose about a lot of these details. I've hosted 2 jams and attended 3 others. All of them were hosted by one of the OFC members, each of whom provided the venue (their home), a place to crash for the night in their home (as long as there was room) and the food & drinks. In each case the attendees pitched in and brought drinks along, and also gathered some money among themselves and presented it to the hosts to help offset some of the food costs - in my case as host an unnecessary but greatly appreciated gesture.

Lots of folks bring along cameras, so that's not a problem. We all do expect pictures, 'tho, of both the attendees and the guitars. ;)

As far as playlists, etc., we Southen boys have built up quite a collection of songs, starting with the first Southern Style Jam songbook, expanded for ZillaFest & G8rBowl-I, then really expanded for SSJ-II with Otto's songbook(s). People have brought along new songs for everybody's use at each jam, too. The SSJ-I, G8rBowl-I, & Songs-You-Otto-Know songbooks are uploaded as PDF files somewhere, I think Jas probably has the latest links. Attendees can download & print those if they want & use them. Of course a lot of times it's only one or two people playing, somebody showcasing a favorite song & maybe someone else joining in on lead or rhythm.

The biggest jam I've been to (so far) was Keith's Smokies jam. Folks just naturally broke into groups, some inside the cabin, some on the deck with the PA, some by the campfire. Folks wandered into and out of those areas and either sat down and played whatever was happening at the time or just listened. Very free-form, very fluid, and a lot of fun.

The main thing is, these jams are social gatherings as much as music fests. It's a chance to meet new OFCers for the first time and catch up on old friends from earlier gatherings. Whenever music breaks out that's good, too. It's all about the fun, and if ya learn some new licks or a couple new songs, all the better. However it goes down it's all good.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 11:27 AM (#427291 - in reply to #427229)

Thanks, G8r! Great, great description! And it makes me feel at lot more at ease that there is a great deal of spontaneity at these things!

I'm thinking that your "recipe," if you will, makes a LOT of sense! I'm also thinking that contributing to the "songbook" would be a lot of fun!

I'll search the archives for existing ones and see what's out there.

Any other OFC'ers, please feel free to chime in with things that may not be publicly or readily available.

And, thanks! (in advance) to all!

Alan
Beal
Posted 2009-02-19 11:36 AM (#427292 - in reply to #427229)

May or June
pick a place
then you'll find out who's coming or not.
G8r
Posted 2009-02-19 1:38 PM (#427293 - in reply to #427229)

Songbook links:

SSJ-I , the book that started it all.

G8rBowl-I (these were additions to SSJ-I, expanded even more since then, I'll upload the additions sometime soon).

Several Dan Fogelberg songs that Jas added to the SSJ-II/G8rBowl books.

Songs-You-Otto-Know , an incredible compendium of songs by our favorite crooner, Bill Otto.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-19 1:52 PM (#427294 - in reply to #427229)

Ok...it's a treasure trove!

Thanks, G8r!

Beal: looks as though someone just has to pull the trigger, eh?

Time to do a little more research, then! I'll try to come up with a proposed venue before the weekend is over.

You others can feel free to beat me to the punch if you'd like!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-19 1:56 PM (#427295 - in reply to #427229)

Thanks, Serge. Lest anyone else make the same mistake I did, Otto's book is several hundred pages with songs in alphabetical order by title. I started printing it at home on the inkjet. After running out of ink and paper a couple times, I started reprinting on the back sides. That screwed up my pages.
Someday I'll reprint it with a laser printer double-sided. It's a great compilation.
G8r
Posted 2009-02-19 2:19 PM (#427296 - in reply to #427229)

Good advice, Mark. Thanks for the reminder and warning.

Here\'s a few more added to the G8rBowl book since the last revision.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-24 8:27 AM (#427297 - in reply to #427229)

Well...I let you all down...my psycho nitwit of an ex-wife (not that I'm bitter or anything) threw the most proverbial of monkey wrenches into last weekend, and I did not get the research done that I was hoping to.

I'm doing it now in fits and starts...

More as soon as I have it.

Thanks for your patience!

Alan
G8r
Posted 2009-02-24 10:41 AM (#427298 - in reply to #427229)

...my psycho nitwit of an ex-wife (not that I'm bitter or anything) threw the most proverbial of monkey wrenches into last weekend...
Were we married to the same person!?!?! :eek:

Sorry, that just slipped out. I try not to say anything negative about people who aren't around to defend themselves.
alpep
Posted 2009-02-24 10:54 AM (#427299 - in reply to #427229)

april is rather booked up for me.

but as beal said once you determine a date then it will all fall into place.

you can never please everyone.
an4340
Posted 2009-02-24 11:24 AM (#427300 - in reply to #427229)

Seriously, anything after April 15 is good for me ... and we won't have to worry about snow!!!!!!!!
Weaser P
Posted 2009-02-24 12:45 PM (#427301 - in reply to #427229)

There's interest here as well but the place and date will be the critical items...
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-24 5:24 PM (#427302 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by G8r:
Were we married to the same person!?!?! :eek:
We probably were. Did your ex exhibit the following characteristics: two legs, two eyes, two ears, one nose, two arms, and eats small children?

If so, we should compare notes...maybe I can get my child support lowered if you were married to her too!
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-24 6:20 PM (#427303 - in reply to #427229)

Not that I have anything to say as I am not doing any of the work trying to organize this but, if you can set this up for May in NJ or June in NY, you'll get some great weather or at least not have to worry about it being to cold to hold this under a pavillion if needed.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 10:43 AM (#427304 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
Not that I have anything to say as I am not doing any of the work trying to organize this but, if you can set this up for May in NJ or June in NY, you'll get some great weather or at least not have to worry about it being to cold to hold this under a pavillion if needed.
Thanks! Still trying to sort it all out and collect information.

BTW: Any and all weather-related input is VERY welcome! (ie: what forecast sends it all indoors? Do people do rain dates? Is there weather-proof electonic equipment? Do "band shells" protect sufficiently against precipitation? The like...)

Thanks again!

Alan
G8r
Posted 2009-02-25 11:07 AM (#427305 - in reply to #427229)

Talk to Beggin about that - he set up the first SSJ held at a picnic pavilion type thingie in a park in Asheville.

For SSJ-II we were set up under his 2nd story deck, but when it looked like rain was imminent we hauled all the gear indoors, then back out again when it cleared. Quick lesson in being roadies ;)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-25 11:15 AM (#427306 - in reply to #427229)

I remember having rain interfere with plans. Since we moved here, we just worry about not having enough.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 8:43 PM (#427307 - in reply to #427229)

Might have a line on a free indoor venue. I'll keep you posted.

Alan
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-26 10:25 PM (#427308 - in reply to #427229)

Update: Awaiting a call back from the sales person at a hotel near Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.

The proposed deal: free use of their hotel in excahnge for the rental of a couple of rooms or more. Sound good to youse guys? Anyone coming in from outta town? I'll check on rates and the like.

Alan
alpep
Posted 2009-02-27 8:55 AM (#427309 - in reply to #427229)

in the past we have used homewood suites
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-27 9:07 AM (#427310 - in reply to #427229)

Update: Awaiting a call back from the sales person at a hotel near Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.

The proposed deal: free use of their hotel in excahnge for the rental of a couple of rooms or more. Sound good to youse guys? Anyone coming in from outta town? I'll check on rates and the like.

Alan
Alan - I didn't read back through the whole thread - did we narrow down the date range at all?
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 1:36 PM (#427311 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
Alan - I didn't read back through the whole thread - did we narrow down the date range at all?
Not yet...awaiting word from the hotel as to what is available. Then, I'll post it. I hope to hear today.

Al Pep is correct...the hotel is Homewood Suites next to Bradley International Airport.
an4340
Posted 2009-02-27 2:21 PM (#427312 - in reply to #427229)

There's an international airport in CT?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-27 2:23 PM (#427313 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by an4340:
Well.. you do need a passport to get into Canada now.
Beggin
Posted 2009-02-27 2:30 PM (#427314 - in reply to #427229)

I heard that Southerners need a passport to get into the North now too...any truth?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-27 2:44 PM (#427315 - in reply to #427229)

Nah... you guys can come and go as you please.

Just bring the scotch.
Beal
Posted 2009-02-27 3:31 PM (#427316 - in reply to #427229)

Yes, Bradly is an International Airport. They had a diversion from Canada once............
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2009-02-27 3:42 PM (#427317 - in reply to #427229)

I checked, there are direct flights from European cities to Hartford, CT.

Karl
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-27 6:21 PM (#427318 - in reply to #427229)

Someone throw a dart at a callender and pull the plug.
I'll have room in the car if anyone wants to gop for a day.... meet up at an exit on off the thruway or? If this happens I'll be getting on in Amsterdam or Fonda and headed east to the Mass Pike, I don't plan to stay but that might change depending on the day and time and how many tickets I can score for the Llama rides.

Cliff your still bringing the Llama's right?
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2009-02-27 7:08 PM (#427319 - in reply to #427229)

There's one Joisey-Goil willing to come up for it; I'll see if I can get my compatriot to go along for the ride.
Is it Friday and Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday? (Or all of the above?)
I'd need to leave Saturday night to be home for Sunday morning, but would be willing to do it.

--Karen
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:16 PM (#427320 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by an4340:
Lol! It's kind of the standing joke around here, because so many of the towns in Northern CT are really rural...but, yes, it's an international airport.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:17 PM (#427321 - in reply to #427229)

One more update...wasn't able to contact the sales lady at the Homewood Suites, but I will be calling steadily, and will update these pages as soon as I have something.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:19 PM (#427322 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1:
There's one Joisey-Goil willing to come up for it; I'll see if I can get my compatriot to go along for the ride.
Is it Friday and Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday? (Or all of the above?)
I'd need to leave Saturday night to be home for Sunday morning, but would be willing to do it.

--Karen
Hi, Karen! I'm trying to find out if I can get a date range from the Homewood Suites...still need to speak with the sales lady there. She's apparently pretty busy, because she hasn't returned a couple of messages.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:20 PM (#427323 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
Someone throw a dart at a callender and pull the plug.
I'll have room in the car if anyone wants to gop for a day.... meet up at an exit on off the thruway or? If this happens I'll be getting on in Amsterdam or Fonda and headed east to the Mass Pike, I don't plan to stay but that might change depending on the day and time and how many tickets I can score for the Llama rides.

Cliff your still bringing the Llama's right?
Will do...just want to see what date range the Homewood Suites has available.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:21 PM (#427324 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Beal:
Yes, Bradly is an International Airport. They had a diversion from Canada once............
See? It IS an international airport!!!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:28 PM (#427325 - in reply to #427229)

One more update...I just left another message for the sales lady at Homewood Suites...She apparently will not be back 'til Monday if you all can wait 'til then for a date.

Again, I, your faithful, intrepid correspondent, will report to you as soon as I have something...

One more off-topic item...going tomorrow to pick up a 2001 Adamas MERB 12-string...REALLY psyched!
BT717
Posted 2009-03-01 10:15 AM (#427326 - in reply to #427229)

Alan, Any word yet?
As discussed, I will be contacting the people about the use of the Pool clubhouse here at my Apts this week. If they say yes and the cost is reasonable we can talk about what's the best site for what we hope to do. If it works out we do it here, Vernon has a few Motels within 4 miles of my place and only 15 mins east of Hartford. I'll advise. As a reminder the weekend I was thinking about was May 23rd and 24th. Anyone please advise if this is good.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-01 6:31 PM (#427327 - in reply to #427229)

Alan, Any word yet?
As discussed, I will be contacting the people about the use of the Pool clubhouse here at my Apts this week. If they say yes and the cost is reasonable we can talk about what's the best site for what we hope to do. If it works out we do it here, Vernon has a few Motels within 4 miles of my place and only 15 mins east of Hartford. I'll advise. As a reminder the weekend I was thinking about was May 23rd and 24th. Anyone please advise if this is good.
Sounds good BT! Does it make sense to pursue both venues? Maybe we can do two events (Though that may be a tad greedy). I should know more on Monday from Homewood Suites.

Me personally? I'd love to do TWO events!

In the meantime, please take a look at the next post. Something to think about for when we actaully DO get some guitarists together!
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-01 6:54 PM (#427328 - in reply to #427229)

Here's what I think is an an extremely interesting guestion, in the context of the upcoming get together: if you have your druthers what is your style? (Note: this is a copy of the same post in the "Imaginary Jam" thread in "General Posting.")

There may be several ways to express this question. Another way: toward what style do you gravitate if left alone for a while to play by yourself? Or: Do you have a primary style? A favorite style? A favorite genre?

If you wish to skip all the self-absorbed introspection between here and my answers to those questions, please feel free to go to the bottom of this long screed right now.

By way of background, I came from a rock 'n roll background. But that was only because you had to be that way to find anyone to play with when I was starting out (late '70's). Our foundation was a guy who knew a bit about several songs on an old nylon string guitar.

From that we started your basic garage band. We were ok...ok enough to play parties and the occasional school dance. However, that was not REALLY what I wanted to do, so I continued to practice and practice and practice "on the side," as I continued to play wih the band.

What emerged from all this side practice was a VERY arrhythmic kind of thing. It's a kind of a Spanish-flamenco, vaguely jazz-like sounding thing that instead of being rhythmic sort of wraps itself around the rhythm with notes that -- if I'm having a "good night" -- can sound really nice.

If, however, I'm not as inspired as I could be, or the fingers are just not doing what I tell them to, or my imagination fails me, it rarely gets beyond hum-drum...though I can drag myself out of the blahs from time-to-time.

Well, as you can imagine, the garage bands usually dissipate like dried leaves in the autumn wind. So did ours, and I was left with this style that was more natural to me but severely constrained the number of people I could play with.

Everyone kept asking me "what songs I knew." When I answered that I really didn't know "songs" per se, and that I kind of made it up as I went along, the uncharitable among them concluded: "doesn't play well with others."

Long story short: I'm at a point where I guess my most congenial style would produce "songs," if such they could be called, like "Jam in D Minor." And it would typically consist of a "conversation" between instruments (or instrumentalists) who improvise in the key. They would go on for varying times as the instrumentalist(s) had more or less to "say" depending on the night.

And, you can add as much or as little "structure" to it as you like. It DOES adapt well, and one CAN play well with others, if all the instrumentalists are of a similar temperament. However, I get the impression (I hope erroneously), that few are of this temperament. Most seem to want to play "songs."

I understand this inclination: if everyone knows a song, it serves as a framework for just starting off and making music. Songs can provide the framework for improvisation as well. I understand that also. But, it does seem limiting somewhat.

I have had some tell me that I am really good, and that they would go anywhere I was playing as a one-man show. In other words, I have a bunch of intros to a stretch of improvisation that could be called "songs," and others have liked them quite a bit. And, those who have liked my playing have enjoyed it in the context of the "one-man show." All this doesn't help dodge the tag: "Doesn't play well with others." I hope that's simply a tag used by those who're choosing not to use their imagination to envision musical arrhythmia as a good thing.

Anyway, with all that, are there others out there like this? I know that there are some (many?) of you who are likely WAY overly modest about your own skills. In conversation with some of you, you have indicated that you "can play just about anything placed in front of you." Not being *formally* musically schooled, I am ignorant of your abilities just to make it up as you go.

A friend at work is a wonderful violist, but cannot improvise to save her life. More: I have no idea to how many of you the style I am describing is congenial. Or, rather does it seem sporadic, disorganized and/or chaotic?

Anyway...to keep this screed to what you see above...here are my answers to the above questions:

Description of myself as a guitarist:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Primary Style:
* flat picker
* arrhythmic
* nearly 100% improvisation
* Spanish-flamenco sounding
Style:
* very jam session-oriented, where people just start playing and others join in as they like.
* Like a "musical conversation" that can take many different twists and turns.
* "bad is good," because it means that you have been stretched.
Favorite Genre:
* "free jazz" (truly for lack of a better term)

For an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a sample of what I do: Solo Jam in E Minor Is that the kind of thing that gets played at these things?
BT717
Posted 2009-03-01 7:13 PM (#427329 - in reply to #427229)

Alan,
I have never been to a "Gathering" before, but my guess is that there are MANY different levels of players who enjoy many different styles. Again, My guess is that there are moments when the group plays together and then some will break off to Jam in a style they enjoy. Based on what I've seen, heard and read, I myself am not nearly as experience as you or many others on this forum. My guess is that these Jams are as much for meeting members as playing. I would suggest keeping an open mind and what ever happen,well, happens.

To answer you first question/post lets see what we both come up with,talk about it and in the next 1-2 weeks or so we should have enough to make a descision on place and date.

Bob
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-03-01 7:23 PM (#427330 - in reply to #427229)

Alan, Any word yet?
Bob - those dates will probably not work for me. It's Memorial Day weekend and I'll most likely have to attend my Daughter's regatta.

June would be better for me at least.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-01 7:40 PM (#427331 - in reply to #427229)

BobT,

Ya pretty much summed it up as to the Jams' atmospheres. It's just meeting 'long lost cousins' for the first time. :D

As Beal has said before, date, time and location. Then just sit back and let it happen... "Build it and they will come"!
BT717
Posted 2009-03-01 7:47 PM (#427332 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
Alan, Any word yet?
Bob - those dates will probably not work for me. It's Memorial Day weekend and I'll most likely have to attend my Daughter's regatta.

June would be better for me at least.
Oops!!! Sorry I was shooting for the weekend b/4
Memorial day (got a bit confused) as the pool would NOT be opened and we would have had a little "privacy". So lets see what we (Alan/me) come up with and will advise ASAP!!
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-02 11:46 AM (#427333 - in reply to #427229)

One more update: I called the sales lady at Homewood Suites, but again got voice mail. We have over 300 feet of fresh snow on the ground, so I suspect she didn;t make it into work today. I'll keep trying her, but I suspect she won't be available 'til tomorrow.

More updates as they become available. I WILL take your advice and just find what I think is the best available date and grab it.

Thanks, all!

Alan
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-02 12:02 PM (#427334 - in reply to #427229)

300 feet?! That must be a record. Alan, I assume you know that's the hotel where everyone met for the factory tours. I never attended one, but from the pics and stories in the archives it looks like the Homewood Suites was very nice to the OFC.
60 degrees here today. I talked to a guy in New York this morning who asked if we had snow. This is one of those days I could ski and golf on the same day and the golf course and ski area are only 20 miles apart.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-02 1:19 PM (#427335 - in reply to #427229)

Lol! You DO live in a nice neck of the woods! I was wrong about the snow. I measured it and it's closer to 700 feet.

Funny thing about the Homewood Suites. I've heard only good things about them from OFC members, but can't seem to get THEM to tell me about themselves! Oh, well...probably just a bunch of (weather-related) coincidences! I expect I'll know SOMETHING one way or another by sometime tomorrow.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-03 3:20 PM (#427336 - in reply to #427229)

Just got off the phone with my contact about renting the Clubhouse at my Apts/Condo's and due to renovations an liability issues they will not rent to me/us. So AlanM lets here what you have.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-03 3:35 PM (#427337 - in reply to #427229)

68 degrees yesterday and a hailstorm just finished and now it's sunny. The hail was small, though. We get plenty of variety.
Weaser P
Posted 2009-03-03 7:27 PM (#427338 - in reply to #427229)

...and due to renovations an liability issues they will not rent to me/us.
Sounds like someone leaked the llamas, Patron and trebuchet stories. Not to mention the Toby/PT lav story. Might have to move this over to Ohio...
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-04 9:52 AM (#427339 - in reply to #427229)

Hooray! At VERY long last, I spoke with Judy Young over at Homewood Suites! If we assume that no one wants Memorial Day, we can have the weekend of May 16th, or June 6th (D-Day). The venue is no charge -- we take over the lobby of the place. Furthermore, Judy said that we could have another room off the lobby, also no charge. But Judy expects that we will rent a few rooms from her. Does this accord with your collective recollections?

And...does anyone have a preference on the weekend of the 16th of May or the 6th of June?
BT717
Posted 2009-03-04 10:16 AM (#427340 - in reply to #427229)

Either will work for me. Of course I won't need a room.
Phil Wong
Posted 2009-03-04 11:19 AM (#427341 - in reply to #427229)

Furthermore, Judy said that we could have another room off the lobby, also no charge.
That's the Bradley Room. We used that room for classes. This was Dave's Uke Class.
Phil Wong
Posted 2009-03-04 11:22 AM (#427342 - in reply to #427229)

June 6 will work for me. May 16 and 17 are my dad's and my youngest son's birthdays.

Phil
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-04 12:30 PM (#427343 - in reply to #427229)

As far as I'm concerned, then, June 5,6,7 it is!

Unless there are dissenting voices, I will notify Judy, and start the rest of the planning.

Thanks, all, for your input!!!

Alan
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-04 12:33 PM (#427344 - in reply to #427229)

Done! I have e-mailed Judy to notify her that we are desirous of taking over her place on the weekend of the 5th, 6th and 7th of June.

As I have more updates, I will pass them along immediately!

Alan
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-04 12:37 PM (#427345 - in reply to #427229)

Hey Perhaps I will get the chance to meet some of you crazy Ba$!@&ds after all. Have two private gigs on Memorial Day weekend so this is perfect.
I have room in the car for a day trip out, leaving early..... getting back late. if anyone's interested in riding along let me know anytime before June.

Randy