OP Pro Pre-amp problem
rguise
Posted 2018-12-21 4:07 AM (#546211)
Subject: OP Pro Pre-amp problem

Hello everybody

I just got a beautiful used Ovation 2771AX Standard Balladeer which sounds great but there seems to be a problem with the OP Pro Pre-amp. The battery is new, the tuner works fine but I just can't here the guitar when hooked up to the amplification system. If I apply pressure on the OP then loud popping and crackling noise comes out of my PA system. It's as if the contacts are faulty.

I pulled out the can and checked the 2 jacks and they are hooked up correctly. The weird thing is the crackling sound when I press on the pre amp, as if there was a bad contact. I do not know if the problem is with the preamp or the circuit board in the can. I attached a photo of a similar preamp

Has anyone had this issue before or is there any troubleshooting steps I can take?

Thanks in advance!

(oppro.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments oppro.jpg (37KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2018-12-21 10:51 AM (#546213 - in reply to #546211)
Subject: Re: OP Pro Pre-amp problem

try spraying some contact cleaner on the contacts.
swap out the preamp see if you have the same problem
if the preamp or can is bad I have them in stock
bvince
Posted 2019-01-14 5:18 PM (#546556 - in reply to #546211)

Hey! I’m having almost the same issue with my VIP. Good idea Al... I forgot that contacts can sometimes become corroded. If not, I’m tempted to tear into mine and look for a week solder joint.
rguise
Posted 2019-03-06 11:32 AM (#547227 - in reply to #546211)

I tried spraying the contacts and no luck. I friend of mine swiped a capacitor which looked bad, but the problem still remained. It seems that many people are complaining about this preamp becoming faulty, so I hope that Ovation has fixed this in the newer ones.
peterbright
Posted 2019-03-07 10:43 PM (#547256 - in reply to #546211)

Try deoxit...if that does not work make certain that the battery box is properly closed.