Mystery Elite
dm661
Posted 2022-03-14 3:08 PM (#557169)
Subject: Mystery Elite

Hello!

I just bought my first Ovation after having fallen in love many many years ago via Alex Lifeson and his use of them. Whether the classical he used for Broon's Bane or from the video of Mystic Rhythms, I knew someday I'd have to have one. So, fast forward a few decades and here we are.

The thing is, this guitar I bought (pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NMKM5o2syY5Dv1336) is somewhat of a mystery to many that have looked at it. Is it Korean made? Is it a one-off USA made? There's no serial, no sticker inside. The story behind it is that it was used about 5 years ago in a photo shoot. The photographer somehow walked away with it (perhaps as form of payment) and one other Elite. The other one is clearly Korean made as it says so on the back of the headstock but this one is very different. No markings and several custom-like details.

Hoping to see if the experts in this forum can help answer the question. I was also told that John Budney, who is retired now from Ovation, may be able to shed some light as he built many one-offs at the time. If someone knows how to get a hold of him that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
DetlefMichel
Posted 2022-03-15 6:23 AM (#557171 - in reply to #557169)
Subject: Re: Mystery Elite

All my US.made Elites so far had bolt-on necks,but I don´t know the newer models. And all of my Elites had a "quintad" bracing, maybe the new ones don´t. But from pictures I can say that the Korean Elites rarely had the Op-Pro preamp...strange brew. But I know much more about older Ovations.
This one could be kind of a Korean custom Elite, extremely nice looking guitar and apparently quite well built.
DanSavage
Posted 2022-03-16 11:29 AM (#557187 - in reply to #557171)

That's an Asian LX Elite. It's got the LX scalloped X-braces, and a glued neck and standard truss rod.

As DetlefMichel notes, Elites prior to the LX had quintad braces.

The necks were Kaman Bar which was the original Ovation bolt-on neck, but the fretboard extension was glued to the top.

USA LX Elites also used the LX X-braces, but had the LX neck which has a two-way truss rod and is a bolt-on. The LX neck fretboard extension also bolts on instead of being glued.

This allows the neck to be easily removed and reinstalled. It also makes neck resets much easier.

Edited by DanSavage 2022-03-16 11:37 AM
d'ovation
Posted 2022-03-16 7:25 PM (#557188 - in reply to #557169)

Wouldn't an Asia built LX without LX neck not simply be an AX? The funny looking wood points to a DH Drums design as well.
DanSavage
Posted 2022-03-17 8:00 PM (#557193 - in reply to #557188)

d'ovation - 2022-03-16 5:25 PM

Wouldn't an Asia built LX without LX neck not simply be an AX? The funny looking wood points to a DH Drums design as well.

"You are correct, sir! Hawh, hawh, hawh!!"