The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
This Year ahead

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

MWoody
Posted 2003-12-31 1:10 PM (#198821)
Subject: This Year ahead

Having recently joined and jumped into some of these discussions, (mostly uninformed), I have heard much about USA and Foriegn makes, Deep Bowls and Shallow, New Marketing vs. Classic and on and on. There is almost as much controversy as there is enthusiasm. I believe the best guitar is the one you are holding, whenever you can, wherever you are. Whether you hold it like a lover or treat it like a hunting dog it can only translate what you have flowing through you.

I have worked with teens at church that where struggling to learn three chords for Silent Night. They showed up with every imaginable entry level or hand-me-down instrument you could name. What came out was promise.

For many years I kept a thrashed "Sears" guitar in my locker at work. During lunchtimes it was a way to set the world aside or to invite people in that may not have had anything to say otherwise. And don't forget that that "Sears" model probably brought great joy to someone when they saw it under the tree that Christmas morning! And what joy the giver felt as well.

I have a 67 Guild D50 that my late sister owned. It is reportedly played on a couple of albums from the people she was around from 68 to late 70's on her mecca to become a star. The star has passed but the guitar is still here and is passed and played at family gatherings. Instruments do not store songs or memories but we do and should!

Some of you are more gifted or just try harder at this.

I have a 3/4 Applause AA12 that either goes on trips where I wouldnt take a "real" guitar or leans against the wall. If I walk by it might catch my eye and call me to play or work through a thought or tune.

I am blessed at this time of my life to be able to take part in the praising and worshiping of God with, for and around others. Talk about a challenge! My mission ahead is to go from playing alone to becoming part of a Team.

Last night we had our first snowfall. The flakes were all different but together they made a wonderful, gentle chorus. It was similiar to other snowfalls I have heard but also unique and separate to itself.

Just like each of us.

Let me throw in my offering for the "motto":

"Play it like you need to; cause you know you need to!"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Billy Blaze
Posted 2003-12-31 1:18 PM (#198822 - in reply to #198821)
Subject: Re: This Year ahead

I love the motto,... very well spoken, sometimes it takes someone to say these things to take it down a notch and make us realize what a god given talent we have
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-31 2:07 PM (#198823 - in reply to #198821)

Well said!

I also play mostly in Church, but find that the most rewarding playing is at our "Elder Care" programs. When you look out at the dear souls living in the Rest Home and see their faces so focused and absorbed in the music that they forget where they are for a little while.... that's a REAL Blessing!

Any local Rest/Convalescent Home would jump at the chance to have "live music" for the residents! (be sure to do it for free!!!)

Thanks for the "reality Check"!

tim
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-31 5:08 PM (#198824 - in reply to #198821)

I just returned from seeing my family in rural Illinois over Christmas....I played a couple of songs for them at my sister's last week. The rapt look of my 7-year-old great-niece watching me while I was playing "Silent Night" on my 12-string is something I will always remember. Sometimes we forget and need to be reminded by the eyes of a child......

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)