The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What a year

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

popcritic
Posted 2003-12-10 11:52 AM (#199649)
Subject: What a year

One year ago today I made my first post on these boards. It was in the "For Sale/Trade" section and was titled "Looking to buy 1587 or similar". My daughter, Kaki King, a young pro just starting out, had been burglarized and her "main axe" Adamas stolen. Looking back at that posting (now in the archives at January 18, 2003), really brought to mind what this board is all about. The immediate reaction of the members [in particular Mike Bross, Paul Moody, Al, Paul Hebert, Cliff, Bailey, Miles, cwk2, and many others] made me quickly realize just how passionately all of you care about Ovation/Adamas.

Although Mike predicted it, I never could have imagined what happened next. Through the compassion of Adrian Legg and David Lindley, and the influence of this board, Kaki was rescued by the Ovation Company, which replaced the stolen guitar with one custom-made to duplicate (insofar as possible) the vintage model. This is the same Adamas II 1581-7 which she played recently on "NBC's Late Night With Conan O'Brien."

Kaki became an endorsement artist of Ovation/Adamas in March. She was completely unknown to the company in December, and yet she became an endorsement artist just four months later. I ask you--what does this say about opportunity in America?

More to the point, doesn't this say a lot about the company as well?

My OFC friend Paul Wag in Fort Worth will tell you there's a saying that all Texans love to quote--"If you can do it, it ain't bragging." Please indulge a proud father as I say a few things about her accomplishments in 2003.

This year Kaki played over 200 shows in the U.S. (plus Canada and Brazil). Here is a partial listing of the venues where she appeared:

New Orleans Jazz Fest
Bonnaroo 2003
High Sierra Festival
Winnipeg Folk Festival
Austin City Limits Festival
Floyd Fest--Floyd Virginia
Ouro Preto Jazz Festival--Sao Paulo Brazil
Fox Theatre-- Boulder Colorado [opening all national shows for Mike Gordon, bassist of Phish]
Fillmore--San Francisco (twice)
Irving Plaza and Beacon Theater--NYC
NBC Studios NYC--"Late Night with Conan O'Brien"

Less than two months after her first CD, "Everybody Loves You", was released, the record was #17 in the top 100 sellers at Amazon.com. (It had been reviewed on NPR the previous day, June 17th).

She was profiled and/or interviewed by: Guitar Player, Acoustic Guitar, Guitar One, L.A. Weekly, Boston Phoenix, and was on the front cover as the feature artist of the Fall 2003 edition of Frets Magazine.

Kaki is presently developing material for her next CD, booking 2004 appearances (two big festivals in Australia already), as well as exploring other interesting opportunities. I know for a fact she is enjoying being "off the road" for awhile back at home in Brooklyn.

A lot of lucky things happened to her this year, and one of them was the interest and support of the OFC membership. I am personally grateful to all of you for that, and grateful for the many new friends I have made, all of us linked with the common bond of interest and affection for our Ovation guitars.

Finest regards to all of you--

Dave King
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-10 12:17 PM (#199650 - in reply to #199649)
Subject: Re: What a year

Bravo!
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-10 12:37 PM (#199651 - in reply to #199649)

I said this in another post a while back: The talent that Kaki exhibits is a direct reflection of the love/encouragement/support/freedom-to-be-different that was given to her by her parents.

Indeed, Kaki is a gifted artist and will, no doubt, bless multitudes of listeners.... but my hat is off to you as her parents!

Thank you for the care in which you brought-up Kaki and for allowing her to express herself in HER way!

tim
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-10 5:10 PM (#199652 - in reply to #199649)

I bought Kaki's CD last summer and love it....she is truly gifted and an inspiration! I'm looking forward to her next CD. Best wishes to you and her.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Nils
Posted 2003-12-11 2:03 AM (#199653 - in reply to #199649)

Hooray! A new Kaki King CD is coming out!

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-11 2:20 AM (#199654 - in reply to #199649)

Popcritic

It takes two things to make a year like that.

1) GREAT Talent

2) The ability to stand up there and display that talent.

Kaki has them both and we all applaud her success and are ecstatic that it is on an Ovation guitar. It just proves our love for those roundbacks isn't misplaced.

I, as an ordinary picker who has been around people who can step up there and be the leader and the "star", have a great deal of respect for what it takes. All you pickers here realize that someone like Kaki has to be nearly perfect to get that kind of recognition, a great responsibility for a young person.

Next year will probably be even better.

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-11 2:44 AM (#199655 - in reply to #199649)

Stories like this one give a little glimmer of hope to the music industry. Although Kaki is the talent, a lot of people were paying attention and more importantly doing their jobs on her behalf, and frankly that's pretty rare in the music biz.

She has family support, an agent and/or promoter that appearently knows when to pick up a phone and the folks at Kaman who came through for an artist at exactly the right time just to name a few.

I haven't seen a non-mainstream artist on a late-night talk show in years. Sure, there are many "up and coming" unknown artists, but they are all in established genre. Kaki came out of nowhere with something new and unique and industry people actually listened. Now THAT's worth shouting about.
popcritic
Posted 2003-12-17 11:40 AM (#199656 - in reply to #199649)

I just found out that Kaki was a semifinalist for a 2003 Grammy!

Click on the link below (requires Adobe PDF). In the left side toolbar, click Category 9--Best Pop
Instrumental Performance. Her song "Carmine Street" is No. 29 (out of 60).

http://www.caricole.com/Pop.pdf

The five finalists are:

Patricia
Ry Cooder & Manuel Galbán

Marwa Blues
George Harrison

Honey-Dipped
Dave Koz

Seabiscuit
Randy Newman

The Nutcracker Suite
The Brian Setzer Orchestra

Source:

http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/46noms.aspx#traditionalpop

What can I say--what a year!

Dave King
cliff
Posted 2003-12-17 12:31 PM (#199657 - in reply to #199649)

WOW!! She was in with "good company" to say the least!!

Personally, I hope Harrison gets it.

Congrats, Pop!!!

I was in a store the other day and there was a compilation Christmas CD out that Kaki had a contribution on. Sorry, but I don't remember the title. I was gonna pick it it up, but I was pressed for time and the checkout line was WAY too long.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-18 1:27 AM (#199658 - in reply to #199649)

How wonderful!!

And there are more years to come, that Grammy might just be a year away. There aren't many instrumentalists that have done this well in the world in such a short time.

Bailey
popcritic
Posted 2003-12-18 11:01 AM (#199659 - in reply to #199649)

Cliff, she is indeed on a Xmas comp:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/ChristmasCalling/

She covers "O Holy Night" w/gtr and vocal. I'd be the first to admit her vocal style is an "acquired taste", but she said the producers "insisted on it." The website will give you a 60 sec. sample.

Peace--
Dave K.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-18 12:42 PM (#199660 - in reply to #199649)

[
She covers "O Holy Night" w/gtr and vocal. I'd be the first to admit her vocal style is an "acquired taste", but she said the producers "insisted on it."

LOL you have never heard me sing now THAT Is an acquired taste
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-12-18 12:57 PM (#199661 - in reply to #199649)

Dave, I too would like to give congrats to you and Kaki. I remember when I first listened to the Kaki CD you sent me. I was like "how does she do that"? And after seeing her on Conan, I still am asking myself "how does she do that"?
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-30 12:30 PM (#199662 - in reply to #199649)

How does she do that. Maybe her dad could post a tutorial.
popcritic
Posted 2003-12-30 8:27 PM (#199663 - in reply to #199649)

Peter, I used to say "I don't have a clue", but these days maybe I know a little more than before....

1) Use the "Search" feature to find my "Topic: Fast-Forward Flat Top", posted August 20, 2003.

She talks to Frets Magazine about open tunings and why Adamas is ideally suited to them.

2) Her cd "Everybody Loves You" has a cd-rom of her in performance so you can see how she does it without loops, effects, etc.

3) In the Members' Gallery, take a look at my album--in particular the pic of Kaki at the Winnipeg Festival.

4) Educated guess--watch Guitar Player Magazine for something about her technique sometime early in 2004.

Finest regards--

p.c.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)