The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
This old dog's willing to learn, but it's making my joints kinda stiff.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2010-01-04 10:30 AM (#384059)
Subject: This old dog's willing to learn, but it's making my joints kinda stiff.

Here's one for those of you who have both turtle-backs and box-cars.

How the crunk have you gotten used to the differences in posture needed to adjust from one build-type to the other? I love my O's and that won't change, but I love this new Martin D-42 as well. However, reaching around the thing to play it apparently requires a smidgeon of limberness that my middle-aged shoulders are loathe to dedicate. In other words, playing this thing strapped on is like trying to bear hug a Sequoia! Likewise, sitting to play it requires using the classical posture, including a stool for your left foot. (Strangely enough, the classical posture is the most comfortable for playing my mando as well. Go figure?)

I've adjusted the strap ad nauseum, I've scooched my backside back and forth trying to get comfy on the playing seat, I'm not a small fellow so reach should not be an issue. I'm willing to resign myself to just being more comfortable with roundbacks after playing them for over twenty years, but I am curious to see if others have had this experience.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ProfessorBB
Posted 2010-01-04 10:39 AM (#384060 - in reply to #384059)
Subject: Re: This old dog's willing to learn, but it's making my joints kinda stiff.

Excellent question, Patch. I only play one box on occasion, the OM-sized EF75, and I just use a longer strap to drop the box end a few additional inches. For a one-hour set, it works fine for me.
Jimbob
Posted 2010-01-04 11:47 AM (#384061 - in reply to #384059)
Subject: Re: This old dog's willing to learn, but it's making my joints kinda stiff.

No matter how I squirm and shift around I find playing the 1615-4 or the Harmony 1270 for about an hour is all my back can put up with. I'm a June 1931 model myself. Getting old sucks as the young'uns would say today.
Jim
Beal
Posted 2010-01-04 12:17 PM (#384062 - in reply to #384059)

How the crunk?

that's a new one, at least for me.

As far as playing different size guitars, you just learn to do it. If you like the guitar enough it doesn't matter after a while.

or as they say on the Nike ads, JFDI
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-01-04 12:17 PM (#384063 - in reply to #384059)

I always sit down while playing and I've never had any trouble going from an O to a dread. One thing I HAVE noticed though, is that I'm becoming accustomed to the contour bowls vs. the deep bowls! That really surprises me. It could have something to do with the fact that my LX with the contour bowl is at home where I am usually sitting on a couch which is lower than the chair I use here at the shop. I play for hours every morning, going back and forth between the LX and the 1547. The LX definitely stays in position more comfortably.
G8r
Posted 2010-01-04 3:06 PM (#384064 - in reply to #384059)

Sitting down, my smaller bodied boxes are decidedly more comfortable to play. The Collings CJ is also comfortable, but does get tiring on the right arm after a bit. The dread starts bothering my right arm after just a few songs sitting down, but is more comfortable standing. The most comfortable of my O's/A's, sitting or standing, is the 08C with the contour bowl. I don't really think about adjusting posture when I switch between them, I just kinda automatically get in a position that feels right for that guitar.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2010-01-04 4:46 PM (#384065 - in reply to #384059)

When seated , I tend t`" crouch " over the Git. ( more now than ever ), which is easier t` do over a Big one , so I`m aiming fer a Jumbo , my Ovi`s and even the Dread are a tad small , thing is , I have n`t found a Jumbo with a slim neck yet , btw , fer playing I use a throne , Y`know , the stool that drummers use , height adjustable , allows freedom of movement .

Vic
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)