The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
So how do you like to play?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

dobro
Posted 2009-10-10 3:48 PM (#394987 - in reply to #394962)
Subject: Re: So how do you like to play?

I don't consider myself much of a solo act. The solution for me was to find ONE musical "mate" (Jeff Burns) with whom to divide the entire musical pie: we choose or arrange tunes to be 50-50. Works pretty well!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Darkbar
Posted 2009-10-10 4:00 PM (#394988 - in reply to #394962)

Originally posted by dobro:
I don't consider myself much of a solo act. The solution for me was to find ONE musical "mate" (Jeff Burns) with whom to divide the entire musical pie: we choose or arrange tunes to be 50-50. Works pretty well!
Uhhh....yeah. Sure seems to. :)
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2009-10-11 12:00 AM (#394989 - in reply to #394962)

Originally posted by dobro:
Gregg , You do n`t count as such Buddy !! ..

Every-one I could think of , would say ..
" so , how d`ya do that then " ..
whispering ..
" I wish I had his fingers " ..

Vic
Mike Litoris
Posted 2009-10-13 6:31 AM (#394990 - in reply to #394962)

I'm not a professional grade muso, never have been, never will be. I consider myself a 'competent campfire guitarist' though. I can't sing to save my life, but someone's gotta get the campers going.

So, to address the OP's question. I reckon I'm able to play probably 15 songs right through, maybe more - but in my own style and very few 'frilly' bits. Being able to play a bit of harmonica with the Neil Young songs helps.

Also, in the few 'jam bands' I've been involved with, I played bass. If you asked me what the chords were on those songs, I wouldn't have a clue.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-10-13 9:09 AM (#394991 - in reply to #394962)

I can read rhythm charts and make stuff up on the fly pretty well. Ask me to sing along and then I'll have to work at it.
Dale Lutes
Posted 2009-10-13 11:40 AM (#394992 - in reply to #394962)

Originally posted by The Usual Suspects:
The absolute best is a group of competent players who can actually listen to what others are playing and complement each other musically by playing harmonies, melodic leads, and chord inversions.
I saw an excellent example of this at the Guitar Town clinic. The six or seven featured artists played "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and it was absolutely amazing.

As for myself, I am definitely better alone. When I was visiting ProfessorBB this summer, he said "Play something" and virtually everything I have memorized was right out the window. Big time choke.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-10-13 12:13 PM (#394993 - in reply to #394962)

Dale, I had the same experience at the Professor's this summer. When I did play something, he played along, just like he knew the second guitar part. Then he told me he had never heard the song before. I don't have another 50 years to practice so that I can get to his level.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-10-13 12:26 PM (#394994 - in reply to #394962)

You don't need 50 years, just 10,000 hours!
Doesn't that seem so much more achievable?
3 hours a day, 7 days a week, 10 years....10,000 hours.
(okay, just a bit over. but y'gotta allow for sick days.)
David Van
Posted 2009-10-13 1:05 PM (#394995 - in reply to #394962)

Arthur, please tell me it is not true! I lived in Portland in the late 70's and early 80's and back then Busking on the Seawall and at Saturday market was alive and well....please tell me my old beloved haunts have not died? Also I used to do some Busking on the concourses in PDX and a couple years ago I had the pleasure of listening to a lady playing hammered dulcimer there. She had all her CD's out for sale and some jewelry she made, etc. so it seems to be still allowed, but you may need some kind of permit. And, bear with me here...it was more than twenty minutes ago so my memory is not terribly clear, as I recall she was beyond the TSA search area too, but I am not for sure about that. God I miss Portland! I miss OREGON PERIOD!!!!! Okay, now I am homesick... :-(
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-10-13 1:46 PM (#394996 - in reply to #394962)

David... The One Man Band, and the One-Armed Guitarist are still at the Saturday Market.
Along with that electric group at the Skidmore Fountain. (I have no reason to go to PDX)
But three or five buskers, two days a week is not an impressive amount.
(There is also that chick with the cup and the fishing pole "fishing for change")
We will also have the bag-pipers for St. Paddy's day and Christmas. The guys beating on assorted five-gallon buckets at Pioneer Place yuppie Mall, and the electric dude sometimes in front of Nordstrom's. Plus that dude with the acoustic guitar that I gave a gig-bag & strings to...
Oh, two fiddle players... One at the MAX station and one at Powell's Books.

Maybe I am expecting too much from a city with a half-million people in it.
But I should not be able to name most of the Buskers and count them on my fingers.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-10-13 3:37 PM (#394997 - in reply to #394962)

I play all by my lonesome, except during the occasional lesson.

Similar to Dave, I know 15 chords, hundreds of riffs, 20 intros, 40 choruses, only 1 song all the way through (including the solo), but can't play anything without the music in front of me.

My guitars must be so dissapointed when they come to live with me because they are invariably so much better than I am...

On the other hand, I take great pleasure when I manage a correctly played chord (or even a few in a row!), and have no aspirations to live up to or get disappointed over.

I'm happy with it.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2009-10-13 8:53 PM (#394998 - in reply to #394962)

Originally posted by Mitzdawg:

My guitars must be so dissapointed when they come to live with me because they are invariably so much better than I am...

On the other hand, I take great pleasure when I manage a correctly played chord (or even a few in a row!), and have no aspirations to live up to or get disappointed over.

I'm happy with it.
Y` know , that`s the WRONG stance !!!

YOU Are the Craftsman .. YOU are the " gaffer ".

Make `em Do what You wanna do ( them gits.) .. Wrestle `em down .. Pummel `em into Submission ..

" Persevere and have Patience " .. and .. " Thou Shall Overcome " .

Vic
dobro
Posted 2009-10-13 11:05 PM (#394999 - in reply to #394962)

Love your spirit, Vic!
ladylaw
Posted 2009-10-13 11:44 PM (#395000 - in reply to #394962)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1:
(And a note to Anita: have no fear about the Jersey jam--it's not a competition to see who plays best, but a chance to enjoy each other's company...perhaps something like a pajama party with guitar accompaniment? ;) )

--Karen
You must be reading my mind, Karen! :eek: :D
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)