The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Custom Legend 1619- technical specs?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Deblas
Posted 2011-04-07 2:20 AM (#1763)
Subject: Ovation Custom Legend 1619- technical specs?

Hi all,

I purchased recently the above 1978 guitar, which is amazing! I am wondering though if anyone has info about the on board preamp. It has all the original electrics and I need a bit more info so I know what I can plug it into.

Failing that, does anyone have recommendations for an affordable, decent amp that I can also put a vocal mic into.

Thanks for any assistance offered!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2011-04-07 8:06 AM (#1764 - in reply to #1763)
Subject: Re: Ovation Custom Legend 1619- technical specs?

Welcome. Very nice guitar.

This question gets asked often, and a search of this forum will give you many threads on this topic. The common consensus is that there are as many preferences as there are guitarists.

Seriously though, the amp should be designed for acoustic and not electric guitars. Some possibilities include models from GenzBenz (Shenandoah series), Roland (AC60) Compak, and Fender (Acoustasonic). If you want to run your mic thru it make sure it has a second channel, with a loZ (XLR) inpt.

I use a 2-channel GenzBenz Shen 100 for coffee houses and even outdoor venues, but that may be more than you need. A 30W might do fine and is much easier to lug around.

If you do a lot of gigging, an excellent (but expensive) option is the Bose L1 system.
Damon67
Posted 2011-04-07 10:10 AM (#1765 - in reply to #1763)

Hello Deblas.

G8r gave a nice solid answer, but in case you crave more, I've updated your status so you can post throughout the site.

As for me, I use the Roland AC60 that he mentioned. It's nice and small and very versatile.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-04-07 10:14 AM (#1766 - in reply to #1763)

Over the life of the 1619, several preamps were used. What do you have in yours?
Deblas
Posted 2011-04-07 4:31 PM (#1767 - in reply to #1763)

Thanks for your replies. I will check out those amps.

That's the thing- I have no idea what is in mine. How do I find out? I have emailed Ovation. Maybe they will be able to tell me.

My Dad has offered me his Crate CA30D, but it does not have an XLR input for the mic, so am thinking this will not work.
Deblas
Posted 2011-04-07 4:32 PM (#1768 - in reply to #1763)

Oh... and I just figured out where the search button us. Duh! :)
Damon67
Posted 2011-04-07 4:57 PM (#1769 - in reply to #1763)

Originally posted by Deblas:
That's the thing- I have no idea what is in mine. How do I find out?
A detailed description would help. Is it a single Knob? Single pole, but with 2 knobs? If it's from the 70's it should be one of those 2.

Does the headstock have a trus rod cover? If not, I think it's an 80's or later model.
Deblas
Posted 2011-04-07 10:30 PM (#1770 - in reply to #1763)

It's a 1978 model- has one knob and two outputs (mono and stereo).

Sorry, I am completely novice to this plugged in business. This is my first acoustic-electric guitar. You will need to explain to me what a headstock and trus rod cover is??? But the above info might be enough?
G8r
Posted 2011-04-07 11:47 PM (#1771 - in reply to #1763)

If you have two output jacks, then you have the stereo FET preamp. The single knob version is a simple rotary gain switch to increase/decrease the preamp output to the jack (effectively changing the volume). Later versions have a stacked knob which is actually 2 controls - the lower knob for tone, the upper for volume.

There's no mystery to it, just plug your guitar into an amp and play. The stereo output sends the signal from strings 1, 3 and 5 to one stereo channel and strings 2, 4 and 6 to the other channel. You'd need a special stereo cable with a single plug (into the guitar) on one end and dual plugs on the other end. It's a feature that gives interesting effects when recording, but rarely used for stage performance. If you plug a standard cable into the stereo jack, you'll only get output to the amp for half of the strings. So with a standard cable make sure you plug into the mono jack.

These preamps require a 9V cell to operate, so if you plug in and get distorted or no output you'll need to put a fresh cell in. Instructions for doing so are in the FAQ on this site, about halfway down the page.

The truss rod is a device (basically a long threaded rod) in the neck used to change the amount of longitudinal cupping or bowing of the neck (called neck relief). Early Ovations used a truss rod adjustment accessible from the peghead, and there would be a plastic or wood cover on the face of the peghead over the hole giving access to that adjustment nut. Later on they went to a different system where the adjustment is done at the base of the neck, from inside the body of the guitar, and so there's no truss rod cover on the peghead of those models.
Deblas
Posted 2011-04-08 1:27 AM (#1772 - in reply to #1763)

THANK YOU! That is valuable information.

Damon- do you run a mic through your Roland? What is it like with vocals?
Deblas
Posted 2011-04-08 6:41 AM (#1773 - in reply to #1763)

And do any of you use PA speakers rather than Acoustic amps? I am thinking this kind of setup might be more versatile for me.
MWoody
Posted 2011-04-08 10:46 AM (#1774 - in reply to #1763)

I have an Eon 15 powered speaker that I use for Acoustic and Vocal output. That concept works great.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-04-08 11:50 AM (#1775 - in reply to #1763)

Deblas,
Most of the people on this board are way out of my league regarding amplifying instruments, so take my advice with that in mind.
I was surprised that the Crate CA30D didn't have a mic input, since my CA125D does, but from what I could find on the internet, it looks like you're right.
If you just want straight amplification of your guitar and voice, without effects, a powered PA may be fine for you. I just bought a Behringer 200W powered PA locally for $100 and it's very clear for both guitar and voice. You didn't say what you want to do with your amp. The size depends on your venue. My 30W Epiphone Regent has a mic input and reverb and is plenty for the audience of one that I have. The Crate will shake the walls and would probably do well in a pretty large venue, but I've never played in one. The amps G8r identified are all much better quality than I have, but I don't need much.
Damon67
Posted 2011-04-08 1:09 PM (#1776 - in reply to #1763)

First, it does pretty damned good on vocals. In fact, my first youtube was me using it for vocals only while playing my electric through a Carvin X100B half stack(with a bass/drums backtrack in the background). I was trying to pull off an Ozzy voice, so I added some of the amp's chorus and echo, and it did excellent.

Unfortunately I recorded with just the built in mic on a laptop, but it illustrates the application well I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtVJ9S7muJg

As for how I use it, I use the AC60 in various ways INCLUDING when I'm going through a PA. In a live setting with a band, I plug into it and use it as a preamp. I plug into the input and use the onboard controls...

for tone/reverb/chorus (hardly used)/feedback suppression, etc. From there, I use it's stereo XLR outputs (see back panel pic below) to go into 2 channels on the mixer and pan each channel to left and right.

In a solo setting with it alone for both guitar and vocals, usually I run my mic into a digitech vocal 300...

then use it's TRS L/R outputs into the AUX Inputs on back of the AC60

The AUX input is not colored by the amp's tonal controls and effects, so I can dial in vocal tones with the Digitech and use the amp's tones to focus solely on the guitar.

The end result is pretty decent. Here's an example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrR0vU6GdH4

You can also just plug the mic into the second channel. Both channels have seperate volumes so you can mix the 2 together. The amp has a main volume as well.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-04-08 2:20 PM (#1777 - in reply to #1763)

Great job on the guitar demos, Damon, but the vocals sounded just like Ozzy Osbourne and Neil Young. Who in their right mind would want to sound like that?
Deblas
Posted 2011-04-09 4:12 AM (#1778 - in reply to #1763)

Damon- thanks for sharing that. I had not thought of using the Amp as a preamp with a PA. That may be an economical way to begin. Initially, it will just be used for jamming with a group of people... but who knows... I thought the PA setup might be a way of keeping my options open. I have been coerced into playing and singing at one of the kids school festivals (outdoors) coming up soon. I had thought that it might be better just to purchase one active speaker to start, but maybe the Roland may be a better idea if I can use it later with the PA anyway. And I also have that Vocal effects unit, so that was very handy info you gave me there :)

I am going to our local Rock Shop tomorrow to look at prices.

Cheers for all the help!
Damon67
Posted 2011-04-09 2:59 PM (#1779 - in reply to #1763)

Mark, I sing those guys cuz I can't sing the good voices like Croce, JT, etc.

Happy hunting Deblas. Whether it's the Roland or A Genz, or whatever, play with what you can and let us know what you end up with.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-04-09 9:59 PM (#1780 - in reply to #1763)

I'm just jealous that you play rings around me. And I like jerking your chain. Black Sabboth Paranoid was one of my first tapes. Good for pissing off my Dad.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)