The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Midrange Control

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Darkbar
Posted 2013-12-19 8:21 AM (#480689)
Subject: Midrange Control

What's the deal with this? I haven't yet found an acoustic guitar, Ovation or otherwise, that sounds good with ANY level set on this control, other than completely off? Who finds this useful?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2013-12-19 11:58 AM (#480694 - in reply to #480689)
Subject: Re: Midrange Control

People who like mud?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-12-19 4:25 PM (#480699 - in reply to #480689)

Are you talking about the equalizers? I'm guessing that CS's cryptic response means that she thinks the midrange control makes the sound muddy. If so, I think low level of each of the high, mid and low range controls muddies the sound.
Most of the controls are useless to me, except for the tuner, so on the rare occasions I plug in I just leave everything in the middle. Sounds fine to me.
Darkbar
Posted 2013-12-19 4:57 PM (#480700 - in reply to #480689)

If you want it to sound 10 times better, turn the midrange down to zero. Again, I don't know WHEN that control is of ANY use???? Surely someone out there who performs a lot knows when it's best to dial it in, but I sure can't figure it out...
Weaser P
Posted 2013-12-19 5:29 PM (#480702 - in reply to #480689)

I'm with MIB. I start at level and tweak from there.

Then again, it's typically seconds before they unplug my line from the board so it rarely makes any difference. Come to think of it, the only ones who left me plugged in was Waskel, JW and Schroeder so you take it from there...
Damon67
Posted 2013-12-19 6:44 PM (#480704 - in reply to #480689)

if there's no other means of boosting my signal, it's amazing how a boost in the mids will get me out in front for a solo. aside from that, I usually keep them down (though not all the way down like Bob). Usually my EQ is pretty flat across anyway. My EQ is usually done at my amp and or mixer board.

Edited by Damon67 2013-12-19 6:48 PM
bigwavedave
Posted 2013-12-19 7:43 PM (#480706 - in reply to #480689)

I have a Fishman Loudbox Performer when solo and the directions say as the volume goes up, turn your mid-range down, both for you and your audience.
I can tell you straight up, the only time our local tiki bar told us to turn it down was when my then two year old got to my P.A. and messed with the mid-range without me seeing it. I couldn't understand, because volume, etc... were all the same, but when I saw that mid turned way up, I knew!! Too much mid gives out a biting, crass sound.
On all of my guitars the mid is not off, but WAY down.

Edited by bigwavedave 2013-12-19 7:48 PM
rick endres
Posted 2013-12-27 1:32 PM (#480862 - in reply to #480689)

Quack! Quack!

Usually I set bass and treble at halfway and turn midrange down a little on an OP 30 (yeah, the old "smiley face"), and then set tone from an AC 60 Roland amp. In 42 years I have yet to find a sound I'm REALLY happy with, but I keep trying. I may take Bob G.'s advice and turn midrange all the way down to see if that helps. It shouldn't be rocket science, but it is. What do you do first: adjust the amp and THEN the onboard sliders, or vice versa? The chicken or the egg? And the room has a lot to do with the sound. You have to reset each time you play a different room. BLEAH!

I get a lot closer with my old Balladeer. It has a Fishman Supernatural undersaddle pickup with no onboard controls. All the EQ goes through the amp or PA controls. I did recently buy a Black Box volume control. It plugs into the guitar jack, and then the cord goes into the box. I no longer have to trek back and forth to the amp or PA to turn up when I fingerpick or turn down when I strum...

Edited by rick endres 2013-12-27 2:03 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)