The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Elite T jack issue

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Paul Blanchard
Posted 2014-06-03 6:03 PM (#487442)
Subject: Elite T jack issue

First, greetings to my many old friends after a long time away. I'm "still alive and well" (to quote Rick Derringer) and living in Minden, Nebraska - a new location.

To the point: the jack on my Elite T 1868 with OP-30 is cutting in and out, so I reckon I need a replacement. I've contacted the factory but curious as to whether anyone here knows if that is a solder connection or a plug in.

Blessings,

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2014-06-03 6:18 PM (#487444 - in reply to #487442)
Subject: Re: Elite T jack issue

Welcome back, Paul!
I assume we're talking about the 1/4" jack. It's a soldered connection, and I've had problems before with the nut coming loose (should be a lock washer there, but often they are missing) and the jack spinning. This tears the connections and can cause the symptoms you're seeing. Pop the back, take the nut off the jack and get a look at it. Most likely it just needs a little TLC.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2014-06-03 6:35 PM (#487446 - in reply to #487442)

Thanks for the info. Yes, it's the standard 1/4" jack. It WAS spinning, so I locked it down hard and the problem started after that. My gear hasn't gotten back from the Caribbean yet, so I'll look into it ASAP. This was the one of my guitars I was willing to take for gigs on Roatan, Honduras that I least cared about getting damaged but it is also the one with the jack problem that showed up in concert.

Anyone know if a newer/better preamp can retrofit the OP-30?
FlySig
Posted 2014-06-04 7:24 PM (#487481 - in reply to #487442)

It depends what you're looking for. The other Op Pro preamps will fit the same cutout, as will the iDea preamp, but you have to be sure you have the correct can in the guitar. On the Op 30 preamp module there are 7 copper tabs in the connector which mates to the can installed in the guitar. Other preamps such as Op Pro, Studio, and VIP have 8 copper tabs. The iDea has an additional connection for the mp3 minijack. Swapping cans is super easy and only takes about a minute total. If you get another preamp be sure to have the correct can in the guitar. New preamps are sold with the can btw.
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-06-04 9:18 PM (#487483 - in reply to #487442)

Hey Paul! Good to see you pop your head back up. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)