The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Take me out to the ball game! But don't take me out to the cleaners…

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2014-05-21 2:53 PM (#486976)
Subject: OT: Take me out to the ball game! But don't take me out to the cleaners…

Here in the mid-Hudson Valley, I live a life somewhat on the edge.

Why?

Because I grew up in Pittsburgh, and like many who have wandered afar from the three rivers, I have remained a stolid fan of Pittsburgh's sports teams. OK, OK.....I can take or leave hockey. I never cared for it much because I can't ice skate for beans. But as it is, my clothing and car and online user profiles proudly display my loyalty. It can be a point of contention in a region where I am constantly passing by Giants/Jets/Yankees/Mets jerseys. (None of which BTW, look nearly as cool as my "Clemente" t-shirt, though my wife informs me that I may be biased.)

So imagine my delight and surprise a few weeks back when my kids' school scored tickets to the Yankees/Pirates game in NYC last Friday. It was my first chance to take my kids to a Major League ball game. I bought new shirts and hats all around and told friends to look for a tiny black hole in the crowd so far up in the stands that it would be easier to take parachutes to the stadium and base jump back to the bus when the game was over.

As it turns out, 'twas all in vain thanks to a line of storms wreaking havoc along the eastern seaboard. The game was postponed, and we were unable to attend the make-up. My kids were devastated. Dad knew exactly how they felt.

BUT.....

There's a lot of season left. My wife says "Maybe we can go later this year if the Pirates come back."

I love my wife. She's really very decent for a Phillies fan.

I dig into the internet with gusto. And "LO!!!!" What to mine wondering eyes doth reveal itself?

PRICES IN NEW YORK ARE STUPID!!!!!

I, the guy who somehow justifies owning 20 or so guitars to himself, was struggling mightily with the potential sum total of funds necessary for a relatively simple night out with my family. But I'm a social worker; trained to look for alternatives whenever the obvious path is less than tenable. And then we had a thought. At first blush, it seemed an unreasonable comparison. But believe it or not, it worked out.

I cannot justify an expenditure that large for a simple ball game. But I can do so for a family vacation. And the numbers actually work! So.......

As it turns out, it will cost about the same, maybe even slightly less, to take my kids on a weekend trip to Pittsburgh and go the the Pirates/Mets game there than it would to drive down for the evening from my house and see the Mets/Pirates play here. And I won't even need to lug a tank of spare oxygen into the lower stratosphere above Citi field so my family can breathe comfortably. (It wouldn't help me right now anyway. Pittsburgh is playing so badly, I'll probably be hyperventilating regardless of the altitude.)

So I'll be enjoying good seats a little ways above first base in beautiful PNC Park come late June. My kids can't wait. And again, Dad completely understands. My wife is of two minds about it herself. But she loves to watch her children enjoy a ball game. And she hopes to keep her husband from making a total doofus of himself on national television. She has found a purpose and is content to be the adult in our family for a few hours. I've promised to behave, but I'm not watching a game right now, so my ego is carefully planning a realistic and attainable way to wake up tomorrow morning.....and keeping a watchful eye on my id; which is  slumbering presently, and rumbling ominously about last night's blowout loss to the Orioles.

And BTW, the game we are attending is on a Sunday afternoon. Families can take pictures on the warning track of PNC Park with members of the team that morning. Then they have children's activities for two hours before the game, AND the kids get to run the bases after the game! IS THAT COOL OR WHAT???!!!!

"It says only children can run the bases honey." My wife serenely clarifies the fine print, and my suddenly re-vitalized id is forced to plod a surly but silent retreat back into the unconscious nether regions of sports fanaticism. It has that look about it though.....the one that says "Id'll be back. Just wait."

Ids tend to talk in third person.

And they sound a bit like Golum.

But for now, my high-functioning superego is mollifying my id and stroking my ego; balancing their polarized and opposing tendencies by indulging in a bit of well-rationalized, good ol' American fan snidery. Enjoy your $200-$800+ tickets NY. We're going on vacation instead and sitting in better seats for $46.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-05-21 4:44 PM (#486977 - in reply to #486976)
Subject: Re: OT: Take me out to the ball game! But don't take me out to the cleaners…

And PNC Park has a Primanti's on premises for that true Pittsburgh experience.

Patch
Posted 2014-05-21 6:47 PM (#486984 - in reply to #486976)
Subject: RE: OT: Take me out to the ball game! But don't take me out to the cleaners…

Now that's worth whatever the inflated price is!!

Slipkid
Posted 2014-05-21 10:37 PM (#486986 - in reply to #486976)
Subject: Re: OT: Take me out to the ball game! But don't take me out to the cleaners…

Two words...
Fen way
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-05-21 10:57 PM (#486987 - in reply to #486976)

I saw the Red Sox beat the Yankees at Fenway for 50¢.
(bleacher seats in 1985)
Phil Wong
Posted 2014-05-22 2:49 PM (#487002 - in reply to #486976)

Patch,
It's truly unbelievable how high the prices are. Back in 2008 I promised my 3 boys that I would take them to Yankee Stadium before it closed. Got bleacher seats ( Actually a long metal bench) for $45.00 each. We had a great time and tried to get tickets again. Looked for the same type of seats for another game. The same section tickets were now priced for $125.00 for an August game. I told my boys that I would rather buy each one of them an authentic Yankee Jersey instead because it would only be about $50.00 more than the price of each ticket if I waited for a sale and used my Baseball Hall of Fame membership code.

I should add that my Sister In Law getscorporate seats in various locations from work a few times a year so not going to the August game was not as disappointing for them. With her seats we actually sat about 12 rows behind the Yankees Dugout and got the waiter/waitress service. We also sat
in the bleachers again. this time in theater type seats(Third Row) in the bleachers on April 13 against Boston. That was the game where Ichiro caught the ball in right field off of Big Poppi(David Ortiz). HAPPENED RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!. That would have tied the game. We were actually on ESPN in the replay.

Edited by Phil Wong 2014-05-22 2:56 PM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2014-05-22 3:15 PM (#487003 - in reply to #486976)

I must be older than OMA, because I can't remember what it cost for bleacher seats back in the day. It was probably a dime. That was when we lived in Milwaukee in the 60s. There were always cheap seats available out in right field and I remember my dad still complained about the price of beer. I didn't like the seats because I wanted to be closer to Eddie Mathews and Rico Carty over on the left field side. Instead, we had to sit behind this unknown named Henry Aaron, who used to come over and talk to us during warmups. I never thought to get his autograph. I bet he didn't make $50K before they moved to Atlanta in 1966.
For a couple years, my dad would get free box seat tickets through his work. We also moved in 1966 and I think I've only been to one big league game since. America's pasttime has gotten really expensive.
dvd
Posted 2014-05-22 3:58 PM (#487004 - in reply to #486976)

Times have changed. Fenway is now the most expensive ball park in the country. The stadium not only has the highest average ticket prices ($52.32), but per ounce, it also sells the most expensive beer: a 12-ounce draft will run you $7.75.
Damon67
Posted 2014-05-22 4:59 PM (#487007 - in reply to #486976)

We used to pay a couple bucks for bleacher tix in Oakland
Phil Wong
Posted 2014-05-23 7:09 AM (#487023 - in reply to #486976)

My dad took me to Shea Stadium to see the Mets against the San Francisco Giants. I was 8 years old in 1968. I was so excited that I woke up at 6:00 in the morning. Needless to say I was tired by the time the game started at 1:00. I started falling asleep by the third inning. Willie Mays and Willie Mc Covy were playing that day. I went to a few more with friends and remembered looking at the box seat area and thinking, WOW I wish I could afford $4.00 to sit in the Box seat area

My dad also took me and my sister to see the Yankees. General Admission seats, $2.00 for a ticket. The stadium was empty. Almost caugt a foul ball from Roy White.

Edited by Phil Wong 2014-05-23 7:10 AM
rhoadsscholar
Posted 2014-05-24 7:38 PM (#487076 - in reply to #486976)

Hey Patch, we lived in Hudson valley for a while. Enjoyed a lot of Renegades games and the cheapest Yankee seats where when they went over to play the Mets. A lot to like about the hudson valley
mbedard
Posted 2014-05-30 11:21 AM (#487264 - in reply to #486976)

My brother-in-law and I went to a Sox game at Fenway a few weeks ago. Got tickets off a coworker that has season tix in the grand stands -- $28 each face value, not bad... Add in parking ($30), $8 beers and hot dogs and everything else though and it gets pricey.

When I was a kid my Dad would take us in for a game once in a while, and I think the bleacher seats were $5 and Fenway Franks were a buck...
Slipkid
Posted 2014-06-05 12:41 PM (#487497 - in reply to #486976)

Fenway is something else. It should be on every fans bucket list.
We usually go to 3 or 4 games a year. Any more than that and it's not "special" anymore.
Hate to flaunt my good fortune, but my bro-in-law called last night. He won 4 tickets to the Saturday Tigers / Red Sox game. He'll be out of town so he gave the to me. Then, this morning, a vendor gives me 4 tickets to the SUNDAY game.
Weaser P
Posted 2014-06-05 1:24 PM (#487499 - in reply to #486976)

I'll be in Beantown this weekend as well, Brad. If it wasn't for a wedding, I'd meet you at the game. Fenway's a great park. Even for a lifelong Cinci fan.
Slipkid
Posted 2014-06-05 2:09 PM (#487500 - in reply to #487499)

No no no... Tigers & Red Sox are in Detroit.

If you have some spare time in Boston I'd strongly recommend the guided tour of Fenway. They offer them all through the day and it is very interesting. Even Mrs. Slipkid enjoyed it.

Also.... A great place to spend a few hours is Faneuil Hall 

Weaser P
Posted 2014-06-05 2:42 PM (#487501 - in reply to #486976)

Whoops. Thought you meant you were coming East. We're taking my daughter there for her first time in Boston so we'll be doing the extended, dawn to dusk, never-ending tour of Faneuil Hall. Fun place though. One of my favorite cities to visit.
Darkbar
Posted 2014-06-05 3:08 PM (#487503 - in reply to #486976)

From what I heard, with every two tickets you buy to a home game in Detroit, you get a free home in the downtown area (as is..)
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-06-05 3:10 PM (#487504 - in reply to #486976)

I've always enjoyed getting a meal at the Union Oyster House when I am in Beantown. It's right near Faneuil Hall and there's a lot of history in that building.

I used to have season tickets for the Oakland A's from 1986 through 1994 or so. It was a great run there with 3 consecutive World Series and 5 straight NL West championships. A fantastic cast of characters on that team too. To the point, my season tickets were $1200 a year for two seats right by the dugout and 5 rows from the field. I just bought tickets for a game with my boys. Same section but 19 rows up ... four tickets set me back $265.
dvd
Posted 2014-06-05 4:27 PM (#487505 - in reply to #486976)

Weas, enjoy your visit!
Weaser P
Posted 2014-06-05 5:20 PM (#487507 - in reply to #486976)

Thanks, dvd. I don't get there anywhere near as much as I like to but maybe on one of my trips through we can catch up and trade some stories.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)