The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Shipping Overseas (Long-term, High-Humidity) Continuation from the Welcome Board

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

R. Peggio
Posted 2014-08-03 6:53 PM (#491091)
Subject: Shipping Overseas (Long-term, High-Humidity) Continuation from the Welcome Board

Hi, guys. I started a post on the welcome board about this, but Damon suggested I move the discussion here to open it up a bit. Arthur and Miles both helped, but if anyone has any additional ideas, I'll take anything you can give.

The original thread: http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40...

The problem: I'm moving to Ecuador in 6 months, and pretty much the only safe way to transfer my 1651 is via container on a ship passing through the equator. It's estimated that, between transport and customs/quarantine, it'll be in the container for 30-60 days, which definitely presents some problems.

I could check it as baggage, but I'm changing planes at least 4 times and ending up in a city where bags commonly disappear -- so commonly, that it was advised I pack nothing I couldn't easily replace.

Tips so far for shipping via container:

• Loosen Strings
• Seal OHSC in a bag to keep the humidity stable
• Put OHSC in a guitar shipping box (Optional) (Which I'm totally going to do)
• Pray (Which I've started early, just in case)

Other than humidity, temperature may be an issue.

Another, somewhat related issue regards what sorts of things I might need for maintenance once I'm there. I probably won't be able to ship my guitar to the mothership if something happens, and I'm absolute rubbish at luthier-work. I'm sure there will be luthiers in Cuenca, but I doubt any of them have worked on Ovations. Are there parts you recommend I take with me, just so I'll have them available?

(Sorry if any of this sounds amateurish. I'm basically a hobbyist, but I love my guitar pretty fiercely, and I want to make sure it has the longest life possible.)

Thanks for any insights you can share!

Edited by R. Peggio 2014-08-03 6:58 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2014-08-03 9:40 PM (#491096 - in reply to #491091)
Subject: Re: Shipping Overseas (Long-term, High-Humidity) Continuation from the Welcome Board

Another option might be to leave it with someone and then have them ship it to you once you arrive in Ecuador. Shipping via mail, FEDEX, or something similar will cost some money but the transit time would be a week or less.
R. Peggio
Posted 2014-08-03 10:19 PM (#491098 - in reply to #491096)
Subject: Re: Shipping Overseas (Long-term, High-Humidity) Continuation from the Welcome Board

FlySig - 2014-08-03 7:40 PM

Another option might be to leave it with someone and then have them ship it to you once you arrive in Ecuador. Shipping via mail, FEDEX, or something similar will cost some money but the transit time would be a week or less.

I have no idea why I didn't think of this. I just checked, and there's a UPS office in Guayaquil, which is about four hours from where I'll be, but I might be able to rent a car and drive out for local pickup. I'm still not entirely sure how customs is going to work, so I'll have to follow up on that, though it's definitely worth investigating. A week in a cargo plane sounds much better than potentially two months in a freight container. Thanks!

EDIT: So, a little more research looks like I can get it shipped to Cuenca directly, though the shipping is approximately $400. That's not the end of the world, and it's worth the peace of mind. Unfortunately, it turns out there's the added cost of tax on imported goods. I don't get taxed on anything shipped with my container of household goods (amnesty for that 1 container), but I can be taxed for up to 50% of the value of anything I ship in. Assuming I value a mint 1651 conservatively at $600, I'm still looking at up to $700 in shipping expenses. I'm not poor, but that's going to sting. It still might be my best bet, but ouch!

Edited by R. Peggio 2014-08-03 10:39 PM
FlySig
Posted 2014-08-04 11:38 AM (#491104 - in reply to #491091)

Another option is to investigate whether you can carry the guitar on the airplane. On a Boeing 737 or Airbus airplane or larger the overhead bins are big enough to get an Ovation case in easily. You can fit 2 in per bin! We've done it a bunch of times flying domestically. On a smaller airplane it probably will not fit.

And yet a different option is to buy a seat for the guitar. If the price of airfare is low enough this would be a good cost effective and safe option. The guitar will have to be strapped into the seatbelt and would have to be in a window seat so as not to block anyone from evacuating. Airlines carry seatbelt extenders for heavy people who don't fit a regular seat belt, and you could use one or two of those to loop around the case and through the handle. You might get away with using a sturdy cargo strap around the case and then loop the seatbelt through that. In fact I would try the cargo strap as a Plan A. Wrap the strap around the case and through the handle. Fashion some sort of loop maybe by tying a knot in the strap and leaving a loop hanging out which the regular seatbelt could loop through.

Check the airlines' webpages for their policies on musical instruments. If there is a first class section on the airplane there is usually a good sized closet where the crew could place the guitar. While you can't count on it, a friendly and polite request of the flight attendants is usually met with cheerful help. We carried Peter Frampton's famous black Les Paul in the closet on the regional jet. I've even carried guitars in the cockpit but don't tell the FAA!

I agree it would seem dangerous to send it as checked baggage especially if things disappear regularly at the destination. If you can be assured of carrying it on, though, that would be what I would do.

Edited by FlySig 2014-08-04 11:40 AM
R. Peggio
Posted 2014-08-04 1:53 PM (#491111 - in reply to #491104)

The ticket's pretty expensive even for coach (a minimum of $2000). I did consider asking the flight staff to store it in the coat closet, but the tricky part is that it looks like I'll be transferring planes 4 times (for a total of 5 planes), and five flight crews provide five potential points of failure. If someone decides for some reason that they just can't let me put it in the closet, it's going to end up at the Guayaquil baggage claim, where their motto is "We're so efficient, your baggage will leave the airport before you've even disembarked."

I haven't purchased the tickets yet, so I'm not sure exactly what I'll end up with, but I didn't realize the hard case would fit in the overhead bins of a 737, so that's definitely something to look at. If I can book 737s for each leg and clear the instrument with the airline(s), that sounds like the best way to go. I'd definitely rather have it in my possession for the entire trip than trust it to a third party!

I do sincerely appreciate the extra options. I'll look into them this afternoon and see if they're a possibility for me. I have an appointment next Monday to talk to someone about tax/import issues, too, so I'll find out then if shipping it via post might still be an option. Really, thanks for the feedback!

Edited by R. Peggio 2014-08-04 1:57 PM
FlySig
Posted 2014-08-04 3:11 PM (#491114 - in reply to #491091)

Domestically the airlines' policy is that you can take a guitar on board IF there is room for it. Technically the guitar exceeds carry on size limits, so if there are too many other people with stuff, you will not be permitted to carry it on. Internationally I don't know what the airline policies are.
AstroDan
Posted 2014-08-05 4:05 PM (#491141 - in reply to #491091)

If you're going to be down there for years, I'd pay the $700 and be done. If it's "only" a year and you'll be back, I'd leave it here and buy a beater when you get down there. No way I'd trust to luck that you could carry on, and also no way I'd put it in baggage.
Good luck.
Leo
Posted 2014-08-21 1:44 AM (#492480 - in reply to #491091)

Hello,

As I can tell, you very love your guitar, as I love mine. If I were in your shoes, I would measure my case, weight with the guitar inside, and with the data will call the airline, and ask whether I´m allowed to bring my guitar with me as passenger luggage, giving the size and weight. I would check every connection with other airlines from USA to Ecuador, let´s say Aeromexico, Lan Chile, and so on. And would call every of them making the same cuestion.

If size is problem, I may consider buying an ovation gig bag to reduce size, and weight. I will research an humidity system inside my guitar that suits my needs in the high humidity Ecuador. I woudn´t loosen my strings, my guitar teach suggest me never ever loosen them, becuase the neck may experience problems, btw the strings tunned may help as barrier protecton to any pressure to the guitar.

Some airlines may ask you for more money, if you exceed the weight allowed for luggage per passenger, but will be less than $100. I may ask to the airplane people if they can keep my guitar inside their cabinet, in case I have the hard case. In the worst scenario, I may ask them to label my guitar as fragil while documenting, in order to take extreme care of.

The guy who sell me the Melissa Etheridge guitar, made an stronge case of wood to protect the guitar, and I had to use a hammer to open it, but worth the effort, because it arrived with no damage, so you may ask a charpenter to make an stronge box, so you don´t pay and arm and a leg for specialized traveling guitar case.

But would ask in advance to the flight company if I´m allowed to do so.

I have friends that bringed their guitars with them in airplane, and were allowed to have them as passenger luggage. I hope some ideas help you. Too much time left to your trip, so calm down and research your options.

Leo
Posted 2014-08-21 1:56 AM (#492481 - in reply to #491091)

Also Planet Waves makes a system that controls the humidity, no matter if it´s too low, or to high, it will keep it stable:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Humidipak-Automatic-Humidity/dp/...

In Ecuador, Ovation has some love:

http://www.olx.com.ec/q/ovation/c-861
R. Peggio
Posted 2014-08-25 1:06 AM (#492607 - in reply to #492481)

Thanks for both of your posts, Leo. I just used your link to order the Humidipak; I've mostly been using a Music Nomad "Humiditar" at home, but that doesn't do anything to reduce humidity, so the Humidipak will be helpful during transit. Cuenca seems to sit right around 72% humidity all year, so I've already purchased a room dehumidifier to take with me when I move. I'm still trying to work out details with the airlines, but I think I'm going to be able to get it there via plane. Planning this far in advance makes it a lot easier to skip layovers and plane changes, and the airlines have been pretty accommodating during my initial inquiries.

Your second link was terrific to see! I guess it shouldn't really surprise me (Cuenca and Guayaquil are pretty modern cities), but it's still great to know there's at least some Ovation presence there. Cheers!

Edited by R. Peggio 2014-08-25 1:07 AM
DetlefMichel
Posted 2014-08-25 8:47 AM (#492611 - in reply to #492607)

Does the Ovation 1651 not have a bolt-on neck? Wouldn´t it be quite easy te remove the neck, but the guitar parts in a suitcase and re-built it at the destination? Usually it´s not more than 2 screws.
Leo
Posted 2014-09-10 1:44 AM (#494127 - in reply to #491091)

Glad I help you something!! Regarding maintenance, here in Mexico City I met one guy who worked for an Ovation music dealer . He setup my Adamas, but as I can tell, didn´t make a good job. 1 year later I risked to contact a Gibson Authorized technician, who worked to some known artists in Mexico. He pointed immediately to some faults of the guitar, and after setup I noticed the difference. So, don´t worry, in Cuenca look for an experienced guitar technician who knows electrics. My guessing, is Ovation share similarities with most electric and electroacoustic guitars. Also, I contacted once to Ovation regarding 1 missing piece. They replied immediately, and sent me the piece by mail at no cost! So stay in calm, and enjoy your guitar. It´s the John Lennon guitar, wich is regarded as one of the better Ovations of all times.

I finded 1 link of the structure of your guitar, so it may of some help in the future:

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Ovation%20Parts%20Catalog/1651%20Lege...

Have a nice travel!
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-09-10 6:20 PM (#494138 - in reply to #491091)

All the humidity-related damage stories I have ever heard relate to low humidity, or a sudden change from high to low humidity. My house has a dampness problem which is at its worst in my mancave. I even had to remove mold from one of my guitars. All year round in Sydney the humidity is higher than the recommended 55%. I run a dehumidifier when it gets really bad (over 90%), but that doesn't lower the humidity by much at all, despite extracting about a gallon of water over 10 hours.

I don't know if it is temperature or humidity, but in Autumn (Fall) I loosen the truss rod on the wood top guitars slightly and in Spring I tighten them slightly. The Adamases appear impervious - I inspect, but don't bother taking the TRC off.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)