The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Long time watcher-first time luthier..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

fillhixx
Posted 2024-04-24 12:13 PM (#559189)
Subject: Long time watcher-first time luthier..

I guys. Long time no post, but I'm still up here in the Great White North. After many years of thinking about it and a fortutuitous posting in my neighbourhood, I just bought a Country Artist 1624-4. Judging by the serial # it was built in 1977-78 and it kinda looks it, though pretty good for its age. (much like myself...) It played okay, sounded good, but the electronics weren't working so the price was pretty good. 

Nothing looks broken. So, I've started taking it apart to see where the issue might be and ran into a snag. I don't know what sort of screw holds the pot knobs on. It doesn't fit anything I've got. What sort of screw head is it? Anyone know? 

Edited by fillhixx 2024-04-24 12:21 PM

(1624-a.JPG)

(1624-f.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1624-a.JPG (50KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 1624-f.JPG (40KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fillhixx
Posted 2024-04-25 4:01 PM (#559193 - in reply to #559189)
Subject: Re: Long time watcher-first time luthier..

Nevermind. Found the right size on the oldest set of allen keys I own. In the bottom of an old tool box. #PackratsRule! :-)
seesquare
Posted 2024-04-25 5:26 PM (#559194 - in reply to #559189)

Best of luck, fillhixx. You are probably opening up a can of worms with that stacked-knob preamp, but go for it, anyway. Over at the Facebook Ren-O-Ovation site, Steve McCormick has done electronics rebuilds, so there's a good source of info & expertise available. Congrats on the snag & great to hear from you, too!
fillhixx
Posted 2024-04-25 5:28 PM (#559195 - in reply to #559189)

Okay, think I found the problem.... What I don't know is where the preamp is supposed to be wired in. Anyone got hints? I'm not an electrician but my soldering is darned good for a retired plumber!(not what I actually retired from, but was a plumber builder for a while in younger days.)

(PU1.JPG)

(PU2.JPG)

(PU3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PU1.JPG (45KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments PU2.JPG (50KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments PU3.jpg (45KB - 0 downloads)
fillhixx
Posted 2024-04-25 5:36 PM (#559196 - in reply to #559194)

Thanks for the reminder seesquare! Forgot I joined that group...just to be a lookyloo as until right now I've never 'really' worked on my guitars. Will see what happens there. 

tpa
Posted 2024-04-26 12:17 AM (#559198 - in reply to #559189)

Plumbing and analog electronics are more or less the same. Current is a flow and voltage is lifting height/pressure and connections are commonly soldered. You may find useful information at http://ovationtribute.com/Schematics.html as well.
And happy new guitar day. From this far it looks in good shape.

Edited by tpa 2024-04-26 12:20 AM
seesquare
Posted 2024-04-26 5:58 AM (#559199 - in reply to #559198)

Looks like the output jack is wired directly to the undersaddle pickup. The piezo should be plugged into the preamp can, and there should be a female minijack somewhere on it. There should be 3 wires in the preamp cable to the output jack. One for signal, one for ground, and the last for switching on the battery to power the preamp. The output jack has 3 connections, too (go figure). So, you have to determine which-is-which-wire. The shielding mesh is the ground. I'd bet the signal is probably white & the battery lead is probably red. I reiterate, best-of-luck. Someone appears to have taken some liberties with the integrity of this instrument. There may be issues inside that preamp.
seesquare
Posted 2024-04-26 6:34 AM (#559200 - in reply to #559199)

Addendum: Just reviewed the discussion on Ren-O-Vation. They have covered the issue pretty well. Red & black, apparently- my bad.
fillhixx
Posted 2024-04-26 4:15 PM (#559202 - in reply to #559189)

Hi guys. Yeah, they're a very helpful bunch at the Ren-O-Vation page. Reminds me of this place back when I first joined. (I mean, still a helpful bunch here and some very good friendships made) tpa, yes I've heard the plumbing >< electrical analogy before but, being a plumber forgot everything that wasn't 'solids go down, gases go up'. ;-) Not completely sure I'll do the wiring myself...though I may just do it just to finish wrecking everything so I have to buy new/rebuilt stuff.... I could use one of the pickup pins for my 1612 that got broken at a gig in the early 80s.

The guitar itself is pretty good as an acoustic. Which was the primary selling point.

Edited by fillhixx 2024-04-26 4:17 PM
seesquare
Posted 2024-04-27 9:35 AM (#560204 - in reply to #559202)

Phil, since you probably don't have a board-certified Ovation tech/luthier in your immediate neighborhood, I guess you dive in, or not. Your critter will always have the exemplary acoustics. Fortified sound output is the option. No guts, no glory. The BFLG will support whatever rehab you embark upon! Kinda like slowing down to view the car wreck...... ;-)
MWoody
Posted 2024-04-27 9:40 AM (#560205 - in reply to #559189)

We're behind you all the way! Please don't stop suddenly...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)