The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Al Di Meola

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Damon67
Posted 2016-06-10 12:09 PM (#525863)
Subject: Al Di Meola

Had an excellent evening out last night watching Al play. Sorry, no Ovation content here as he only played a Les Paul and a nylon. Al did re-autograph my AD Custom Legend though.

Sound check...

GUMBI!

Edited by Damon67 2016-06-10 12:11 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2016-06-10 12:19 PM (#525864 - in reply to #525863)
Subject: Re: Al Di Meola

Nice I will have to check his tour schedule. I loved his first four albums at the time, but then lost track of what he was doing.
Slipkid
Posted 2016-06-10 5:36 PM (#525868 - in reply to #525863)

I dunno Damon.
You sure get some great access.
I don't get it.
You sure don't look like the typical groupie.
I wish I had a chance to attend a WHO concert with you.
rock on.
nerdydave
Posted 2016-06-11 10:10 AM (#525880 - in reply to #525863)

Yes how do you get next to someone like that??
tpa
Posted 2016-06-14 2:11 PM (#525944 - in reply to #525863)

Cool. AD has been a favorite of mine since the RtF. Photo 5 could be his overtaking-the-devil face.
Damon67
Posted 2016-06-14 2:44 PM (#525946 - in reply to #525868)

Slipkid - 2016-06-10 3:36 PM I dunno Damon. You sure get some great access. I don't get it. You sure don't look like the typical groupie. I wish I had a chance to attend a WHO concert with you. . rock on.

I can be quite the fanboy groupie at times. Here's my favorite from this year...

Left to right: Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, Me, Yngwie Malmsteen, Nuno Bettencourt, and Tosin Abasi. With the exception of Abasi, all have been huge guitar heros of mine over time.

Speaking of The Who, I met Entwistle once in Dodge City, KS of all places. He was touring as The John Entwistle Band.

Here's an excerpt from one of the band member's journal I found on the web years after:

Day 3 

Bobby and I started our day at noon and began by looking for more performances to transfer. We were joined by John around 2 and spent the rest of the day choosing the rest of the tracks. This is very hard because you can listen to the 1st 3 ½ minutes and everything’s great then all of a sudden someone plays a blaring clam and that’s it for that version. So its on to the next and so on and so on until your ears are bleeding and your head is splitting. Just when you think you’ll go mad from it all and it looks like you don’t have a track that will work….. you hear the one that kicks you in the *** and you say…"see, I knew it was this one." As we were going through the different shows we came upon the show from Dodge City. I remember Dodge well. John is a major cowboy enthusiast so we had to make a trip to the legendary Front Street to see the "old" Dodge and of course Boot Hill. It was cold that day which didn’t help when we were reading the grave stones of buffalo hunters that had frozen to death. So here we are listening to the Dodge show. Now I must tell you that there were not a lot of people at this show. It was a big venue but there was no advertising so there wasn’t much of a crowd. Why play a gig like this you ask? The reason is that we were recording each show for the album. We like to play 5 or 6 nights a week. If we take too much time off the band gets cold so we wanted to keep playing no matter what. We had a bunch of missing dates in our schedule that were supposed to be filled. The dates never came in and here we are in the middle of the country with a giant hole in our calendar. So we decided to contact an agent that we met earlier in the tour and asked her if she could find us some gigs to fill in the holes. Some of the best performances were at these shows so we are very glad we played them. Since there were so few people at this gig we were fooling around a lot on stage and we were saying some pretty funny stuff. There were these 2 guys at the show that were simply out on the edge of sanity. One guy was jumping up and down totally out of time with the music. He had his arms down at his sides and it made him look like a spawning salmon. The other guy would run across the room at full speed and then collapse by relaxing his entire body and slide across the floor in front of the stage until he skidded to a stop. We were just about crying as this was happening. The funniest thing is that when we were listening to "Had Enough" in the studio everyone on stage was laughing so hard that we couldn’t sing our parts. When we muted the vocal tracks everything sounded normal. We were playing the same as we always played but when we added them back in it sounded like we were laughing over a music bed or something like that. We just couldn’t sing. I remember that John was so into playing that he didn’t notice all of this strange behavior. Then when he looked up he thought we were laughing at him for some reason until he saw the spawner and the sprawler. Then he too joined the laughing fit we were all having. Well enough of that. When we finished work later that night Bobby made a traditional Irish meal of colcanon & gamon with his wife Mia. We sat in John’s dining room and enjoyed some fine food and had a few laughs. Later we were joined by Nicki & Helen. They are friends of John’s and Lisa’s so its into the bar to tell stories and have a little party. 

Edited by Damon67 2016-06-14 2:50 PM
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-14 6:56 PM (#525954 - in reply to #525863)

Also - Damon got to sit by me when His Raiders beat my Broncos.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2016-06-14 7:25 PM (#525956 - in reply to #525946)

Damon67 - 2016-06-14 2:44 PM

Slipkid - 2016-06-10 3:36 PM I dunno Damon. You sure get some great access. I don't get it. You sure don't look like the typical groupie. I wish I had a chance to attend a WHO concert with you. . rock on.

I can be quite the fanboy groupie at times. Here's my favorite from this year...

Left to right: Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, Me, Yngwie Malmsteen, Nuno Bettencourt, and Tosin Abasi. With the exception of Abasi, all have been huge guitar heros of mine over time.

Damon did you see the Generation Axe tour,I heard about that on the Ibanez newsletter but couldn't find a show near me.You've definetly get to meet up with all my guitars heroes recently,next thing you know you'll be telling us you went to Satriani'a G4 clinic.

Cavalier
Posted 2016-06-14 8:00 PM (#525958 - in reply to #525863)

I heard Damon shows the celebs his garter belt to get in,, they do look content in that photo.....Who was on the violin Damon? Was it just one song or more?
Damon67
Posted 2016-06-14 8:05 PM (#525959 - in reply to #525863)

Yes 2Wheel, the tour opened here in Seattle, so it was their first night. There were a few glitchy "Spinal Tap" moments.

I never met Joe. I was an idiot as a teen when my friend Jerry gave me the number of 'this dude' in Berkeley who was an awesome teacher. He told me the hourly cost, and I laughed him off... It was Satch. That along with not investing in Starbucks when they went public are a couple of my biggest regrets.

AND, not only did I have the pleasure of watching my Raiders kick some Bronco *** sitting next to Elginacres, but he's even hung out at my house here along with his wonderful Original Adamas Slothead! Both he and that guitar have probably played in front of more people than all the other dudes up above combined!

Thanks again for the invite to the game again Mark. It was a priceless experience going into Sports Authority Field and watching my boys beat up on your boys!
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-15 12:02 AM (#525968 - in reply to #525863)

It was fun, the outcome wasn't for me, but our win in February made up for all of it....I always love to get together with OFCers- if you are reading this thread - come to Austin July 9th...it will not suck, and you will get to learn from the best...Yeah, number 43 has seen a few audience members! I assume Yngwie did some shreading on a nylon viper...lately my daughter has been noodling on 43....she just assumes all guitars are like that one. As far as access goes, I have found sometimes you just gotta have a reason and ask....and you may be able to meet them. Professor and I saw Leon Russell last week, now there is a music resume...but prof and I got access to the warm-up act...and I hung around long enough to get to meet Leon....I would love to hear him and Al Pepiak exchange music stories.
nerdydave
Posted 2016-06-15 9:24 AM (#525971 - in reply to #525863)

Guess I never had a good enough reason!! Or maybe I'm just way to nondescript??
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-15 12:05 PM (#525976 - in reply to #525863)

Pre-planning helps...maybe Sara was the caterer!
Cavalier
Posted 2016-06-15 12:24 PM (#525977 - in reply to #525863)

I've been snubbed so we know it wasn't cross dressing.
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-15 3:42 PM (#525983 - in reply to #525863)

Having a artist endorsed product, and asking for the sig ,might play well.
Damon67
Posted 2016-06-15 6:36 PM (#525989 - in reply to #525863)

Technically, he re-signed it. I caught him at the same venue a few years ago, but it wore off. Only part of the "A" remained
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-15 9:57 PM (#525996 - in reply to #525863)

Be a great artist question, have you ever had to resign something?
TAFKAR
Posted 2016-06-16 5:24 AM (#526007 - in reply to #525946)

Damon67 - 2016-06-15 5:44 AM

Speaking of The Who, I met Entwistle once in Dodge City, KS of all places. He was touring as The John Entwistle Band.

Here's an excerpt from one of the band member's journal I found on the web years after:

Day 3 

Bobby and I started our day at noon and began by looking for more performances to transfer. We were joined by John around 2 and spent the rest of the day choosing the rest of the tracks. This is very hard because you can listen to the 1st 3 ½ minutes and everything’s great then all of a sudden someone plays a blaring clam and that’s it for that version. So its on to the next and so on and so on until your ears are bleeding and your head is splitting. Just when you think you’ll go mad from it all and it looks like you don’t have a track that will work….. you hear the one that kicks you in the *** and you say…"see, I knew it was this one." As we were going through the different shows we came upon the show from Dodge City. I remember Dodge well. John is a major cowboy enthusiast so we had to make a trip to the legendary Front Street to see the "old" Dodge and of course Boot Hill. It was cold that day which didn’t help when we were reading the grave stones of buffalo hunters that had frozen to death. So here we are listening to the Dodge show. Now I must tell you that there were not a lot of people at this show. It was a big venue but there was no advertising so there wasn’t much of a crowd. Why play a gig like this you ask? The reason is that we were recording each show for the album. We like to play 5 or 6 nights a week. If we take too much time off the band gets cold so we wanted to keep playing no matter what. We had a bunch of missing dates in our schedule that were supposed to be filled. The dates never came in and here we are in the middle of the country with a giant hole in our calendar. So we decided to contact an agent that we met earlier in the tour and asked her if she could find us some gigs to fill in the holes. Some of the best performances were at these shows so we are very glad we played them. Since there were so few people at this gig we were fooling around a lot on stage and we were saying some pretty funny stuff. There were these 2 guys at the show that were simply out on the edge of sanity. One guy was jumping up and down totally out of time with the music. He had his arms down at his sides and it made him look like a spawning salmon. The other guy would run across the room at full speed and then collapse by relaxing his entire body and slide across the floor in front of the stage until he skidded to a stop. We were just about crying as this was happening. The funniest thing is that when we were listening to "Had Enough" in the studio everyone on stage was laughing so hard that we couldn’t sing our parts. When we muted the vocal tracks everything sounded normal. We were playing the same as we always played but when we added them back in it sounded like we were laughing over a music bed or something like that. We just couldn’t sing. I remember that John was so into playing that he didn’t notice all of this strange behavior. Then when he looked up he thought we were laughing at him for some reason until he saw the spawner and the sprawler. Then he too joined the laughing fit we were all having. Well enough of that. When we finished work later that night Bobby made a traditional Irish meal of colcanon & gamon with his wife Mia. We sat in John’s dining room and enjoyed some fine food and had a few laughs. Later we were joined by Nicki & Helen. They are friends of John’s and Lisa’s so its into the bar to tell stories and have a little party. 

I'm curious Damon, were you the spawner or the sprawler?

Damon67
Posted 2016-06-16 2:47 PM (#526025 - in reply to #525863)

You're not the first person to ask that.

My family's been there for 150 years. Most likely cousins.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)