The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas 1597 SMT for all?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2016-10-01 9:27 PM (#529071)
Subject: Adamas 1597 SMT for all?

Howdy strangers... long time since I've been out this way. I think the last time was when Ovation had their grand re-opening of the Hartford factory with REO Speedwagon playing an acoustic set. Lots of really nice guitars coming out of there now, but just a tad bit out of my league, but...

I do have a few grand set aside right now and I'm looking to buy me something nice and sweet. I'm hoping to maybe get me my first Adamas and while I'd love to be able to get a carbon fiber topped one with AST, I don't think I'm going to find one of those for much under $5,000.

I watched some YouTube videos of guys playing an Adamas 1597 SMT and then I found this used one selling on Guitar Center. That don't look like a composite top, does it?
(Forgot the link)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Adamas/1597-Acoustic-Electric-Guit...

In the videos it sounded real nice. Is there a big difference between the carbon fiber and the graphite tops?

These Adamas guitars really confuse me. Some have wooden tops, some have carbon fiber, and some have graphite and wood? Some have tops that are suspended and some have tops that just lay there. I can't see getting an Adamas with a wooden top cause I already have a nice Elite (same thing, no?).

User: EricGagne had a nice 1597 SMT for sale for a real nice price. I don't suppose you got that bridge fixed yet and are looking to sell anytime soon?

Just trying to get a little educated as I start doing my shopping. I don't want to jump on anything too soon without knowing what I'm getting, so any hints, tips, or suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm also looking at maybe getting a mid to deep bowl USA made Elite, but at least I know what I'm looking at with those guitars.

Edited by SillyLittleBoy 2016-10-01 9:29 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-10-01 10:01 PM (#529074 - in reply to #529071)
Subject: Re: Adamas 1597 SMT for all?

Is there a big difference between the carbon fiber and the graphite tops?

The tops are Made out of Carbon Fiber... 4G Graphite is a color. (I think)
Also a 1597 SMT top has more Wood in it, for a more "Woody" sound.
(snicker... He said Wood )

Just wanted to add more confusing things for you to think about.
nerdydave
Posted 2016-10-03 8:52 PM (#529098 - in reply to #529071)

Silly little boy has not been here for a long long tome. Neither has Dave Kell!!
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2016-10-03 10:00 PM (#529099 - in reply to #529071)

Hey SLB to me a true adamas has a carbon fiber top,basically theres 3 versions,the textured top on the Adamas I or Adamas II,the unidiretional laquer top on the SMT and the cross-weave top used on the CVT and new models,suspension rings are only on the textured top Adamas I and II.
Tonally I like the textured tops but they're getting harder to find,the SMT has really clean note separation and the cross-weave has a really a really full mid.
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2016-10-04 8:14 PM (#529129 - in reply to #529071)

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped educate this uneducated SillyLittleBoy. Thanks OMA for the visual with the page out of the catalog. I'd actually seen that before AND recently and I guess it just never quite clicked, but I get it now the difference between the SMT and the CVT. What I don't understand is how both of them actually have the carbon fiber tops with carbon fiber on the outside for the sound board, but the SMT looks like a wooden top and the CVT looks like a carbon fiber top. Is it just that the SMT has such a thin layer of carbon fiber that it's actually "see-through?"

Special thanks to 2wheeldrummer for his second offering to attend a "Come Play and Adamas" event, since I've never seen one in person and really should at least play one before I buy one. My love of Ovation guitars extends to the Adamas and they sound REAL good on recordings and when I've listened to them being played in YouTube videos.

So only the textured tops have AST, eh? This looks like a textured top and to me it looks like a real sweet looking guitar at a good price.
http://www.lostartvintage.com/Categoryinfo.aspx?categoryid=10&categ...

I also know that alpep of Lost Art/Vintage Instruments is a member on here and thus an Ovation Fan. I know I'd prefer to purchase from a fellow OFC member who knows, loves, and truly appreciates these finely crafted musical instruments vs. some random due on evilBay. Maybe I'm just weird, but I really like the baby blue color of this Adamas. But that could also just be me being weird trying to fill out my colored pallet of Ovation brand guitars. I've got a natural (Legend 1617), nutmeg (original Legend LTD 1651), black (Legend 1867), and sunburst (Elite 1868) and I don't have a blue one.

That price of $2500 for an Adamas I sounds pretty good to me. I'm trying NOT to be impulsive, but then again it's not like I just decided today I wanted an Adamas.... Hmmm...

Any thoughts?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-10-04 8:29 PM (#529130 - in reply to #529071)

Al's one of the founders. Buy it. Then you'll need a red one.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2016-10-04 9:21 PM (#529131 - in reply to #529071)

That's a pretty blue 1687,if you can afford it would be a great guitar and a better choice than the 1597SMT IMHO,the tops on the SMT have a killer lacquer finish so your looking through the lacquer to see the grain/unidirectional pattern of the carbon fiber
Damon67
Posted 2016-10-05 10:46 AM (#529137 - in reply to #529071)

An Adamas 1 for $2500? A no brainer. Getting a new one of those would cost twice that.

If you have the $, don't think twice... Buy it.
d'ovation
Posted 2016-10-05 1:34 PM (#529139 - in reply to #529129)

Special thanks to 2wheeldrummer for his second offering to attend a "Come Play and Adamas" event, since I've never seen one in person and really should at least play one before I buy one.

I was in the same boat never have seen let alone touched an Adamas, but was very intrigued by them. I trusted all the good reviews on here and last year took the plunge and bought a 1687 from an OFC member. At first, it took me a while to get used to the sound coming from the the epauletes (which should not be a problem for people who have an Elite) but once I had it set up and put my own strings on, it very quickly became my main guitar. It just feels so sturdy I played it outside all summer without worries, and took it to several occasions to play with others and it always fit in great. The neck shape is perfect and I can play for hours without cramps or fatigue. It's most certainly a keeper, and it's just so pretty to look at too.

As for the one on lost art it says it's a GT, which I think is one of the more recent models with hand-laid fibreglass bowl and modern pre-amp. So that might be an added bonus if verified.

Edited by d'ovation 2016-10-05 1:38 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2016-10-05 5:49 PM (#529146 - in reply to #529139)

Hi, Everyone,
In 1979, I actually got to play the second blue ADAMAS I that was ever sold in CANADA at that time. It belonged to The Ovation representative for EASTERN CANADA. He lived in my hometown. (Insert Big Sigh of Envy here. I always wanted a Brown-9 Slot Head, because GC played one, of course, eh?) The first ADAMAS in CANADA was sold to a local TV personality here in Ottawa, ON., and that particular guy ended up breaking the bridge on his, because he played like an electric guitar? Yikes! The Brown-9 Slot Head has gone the way of the dinosaur, I think, so now I will just enjoy my 1993 Collectors, and hope that the 50th Anniversary Folklore Guitars are still around at some point. If wishes were dishes, I'd own a china shop, or two.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON., CANADA
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2016-10-05 6:40 PM (#529147 - in reply to #529071)

I'm trying to buy it and I've got the money, but I've not heard anything back from Al of Lost Vintage Art Instruments. I first sent him a couple of emails with some basic questions about the guitar's condition and whether a case is included, but I never got a response. So I got nervous that someone else might snap it up and I logged into my account and added it to my cart. I had thought I bought a guitar from him once before, but I don't recall the whole purchase process on there.

After I hit "Submit Order" or something similar there was no means of making the payment, but I got an email showing what I'd purchased. I figured he'd want to talk first to insure availability of the item, etc. before taking any payment. That was late last night and I figured I'd hear from him pretty soon. I waited until noon and still no response, so I tried calling him and got the voice mail. I left him my name and phone number but still no call back or return email.

Does anyone know if maybe he's on vacation or something? I'll just have to wait and see if I hear back from him.

Yea, my favorite Ovation right now is my Elite 1868 and it's a super shallow bowl, so having an Adamas with a deep bowl... OOoo... it's got me pretty excited. I do believe this is one of the new models, so hopefully it has the Op Pro Studio electronics.

Trying to patiently wait... but getting a little impatient.
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2016-10-05 7:59 PM (#529148 - in reply to #529071)

Did it, bought it, will post it anew.
tpa
Posted 2016-10-06 1:05 PM (#529167 - in reply to #529071)

Congratulations :-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)