The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
CS256 needs cleaning from cigarette stench

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Jeff CS256
Posted 2016-07-16 9:51 AM (#526679)
Subject: CS256 needs cleaning from cigarette stench

Respectfully, I do not mean the following request for help to convey any disparaging sentiments toward those who smoke. With that sincerely said, I recently purchased an excellent condition CS256, but the cigarette stench, of which I am sensitive (with eye tearing/nasal dip from residual chemicals), is overwhelming. (The case literally had brown tar ingrained in it, so I had to purchase a new one rather be able to keep it in my apartment.) There is no visible staining of any sort on the guitar.

I purchased Dunlop polish and cleaning kit that includes wax; I also have Dunlop's lemon fret board product. I would appreciate any community input on how to proceed to ensure removing stench before I can place it in the new case.

I've never done such a cleaning on a guitar, much less an Ovation, so I'll wait a bit for the community's feedback. (I did read on an owner's manual, for another model, that the bowl can be externally cleaned with guitar polish.)

One somewhat separate further question, please: About the wood inlay around the various sound holes, should these inlays be simply cleaned with the polish/cleaning product but not waxed since there is natural grain groves that would trap wax? Would lemon-oil be better for cleaning/conditioning that area?

I appreciate feedback on any part of this post--Jeff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-07-16 2:42 PM (#526683 - in reply to #526679)
Subject: Re: CS256 needs cleaning from cigarette stench

As to the smell....
First I would try to just keep it out of the case for a while to "air-out".
Do NOT use Febreeze on the case or the guitar...
Febreeze might remove the cigarette smell, but it leaves a Febreeze smell that also sucks.

Ozium has been mentioned as a solution to cigarettes smoke... Pot smoke too.
I would try to avoid the "vanilla" scented stuff and just get the Original no-scent stuff.
Ozium is available at Walmart, Walgreen's and online.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2016-07-16 2:43 PM
Jeff CS256
Posted 2016-07-23 5:57 PM (#526858 - in reply to #526679)

For Old Man Arthur,

I appreciate the feedback. Is Ozium a cleaner? If so, it might be useful on the bowl, so long as safe on the material of the bowl. I would think that any inside cleaning (around electronics) needs to be done very carefully. Further comments are welcomed for you as well as the community. (I think that letting the CS 257 air out--after a thorough cleaning, until I cannot detect any smell--is wise before putting it in the new case.)

Again, thanks--Jeff.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-07-23 8:37 PM (#526859 - in reply to #526679)

Uh... NO! As far as I know Ozium is NOT a cleaner.
It is purported to be an "odor neutralizer" that will keep you Mom or your Teacher or your Boss from smelling that Marijuana that you have been smoking.
I have not used it, but I am trying to remember to buy some.

I would NOT spray it on your guitar.
I would spray it in the Case.
Or maybe spray a little on a rag and put the rag inside the manhole cover in the back of your guitar.
HERE is a link describing the ingredients in Ozium.
One of the sizes it comes in is Less than an Ounce, so I am guessing that you only need a little.

HERE are a couple of threads about Ozium and stinky guitars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)