The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Accidentally deciphered a cool guitar?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Todd G.
Posted 2017-01-02 7:09 PM (#531655)
Subject: Accidentally deciphered a cool guitar?

I was looking to purchase a guitar recently and looked high and low, posted here, even emailed some people about what might be available.  Al had (still has it actually) an interesting, but cool guitar on his website that i didn't fully understand until about a week ago. 

Al has the guitar in his used acoustic section and it's listed as an Adamas Ovation 1778 Koa.  Al supposes this guitar was assembled with "spare" parts by an Ovation employee.  It has a gorgeous koa top with an Adamas II neck with what looks like an ebony fretboard, but there were some other details that left me scratching my head, so I kept searching for something else. 

Soon after, I brokered a really good deal on a special mint-condition Ovation and committed to buying it (I won't have it for a few weeks), but I revisited this 1778 Koa after seeing some interesting information on the Ovation Tribute website, really by accident, but things make a bit more sense now. 

So the 1778 Koa Al is selling is a deep bowl cutaway with the (obvious) koa top, gorgeous epaulets (similar to a 1993 CE), ebony tuner buttons, and an OP-X preamp.  The guitar also looks to have a 1997 CE-style bridge.  As previously mentioned, the guitar has an Adamas II neck--we've seen this on more than a few Ovations, but this one has an ebony fretboard with what appear to be typical Adamas II inlays.  And judging by the feather "decal" on the face of the headstock, this one appears to be a bit more unique and I thought this was simply a personal touch by the person who built the guitar.  Vintage catalogs on the Ovation Tribute website reveal what this neck may have been originally intended for--a Japanese-market 30th Anniversary "Southern Bald Eagle" edition Adamas II.  Now, the decal could have been put on the guitar during the build, but the neck/fretboard suggest different.

I'll let Al (or anyone else for that matter) correct me if any of my information is wrong, but judging by Al's photos and catalog photos/descriptions on the Ovation Tribute website, this is what I've arrived at.  Regardless, this is truly a one of a kind instrument--Al comments that it is a really nice guitar.  At the price he's selling, anyone would be hard-pressed to find a better deal on a USA-made Ovation. 

And visit www.ovationtribute.com if you haven't.  A person could spend a lot of time in there learning about all things Ovation and Adamas.

Cheers!

Edited by Todd G. 2017-01-02 7:36 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ProfessorBB
Posted 2017-01-03 8:10 AM (#531659 - in reply to #531655)
Subject: Re: Accidentally deciphered a cool guitar?

You just never know what Al might discover from his catacombs.
alpep
Posted 2017-01-04 6:25 PM (#531704 - in reply to #531659)
Subject: Re: Accidentally deciphered a cool guitar?

it's like chirstmas every day!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)