The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Custom Legend 1719 Crack....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FrankySelector
Posted 2018-02-02 2:39 PM (#541048)
Subject: Custom Legend 1719 Crack....

Hey guys, I managed to keep my Custom Legend in mint condition for the past few years but this winter was really cold in the studio (Montreal, Canada) and I just found the dreaded Ovation crack accross the top....
Anything I can do about it? It doesn't affect the sound at all but it's still a bummer

Cheers,
F
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2018-02-02 3:01 PM (#541049 - in reply to #541048)
Subject: Re: Custom Legend 1719 Crack....

Generally, folks who fix these fill them with CA glue, then level the glue line with progressively finer grades of sandpaper, then polish it to a high luster to match the surrounding finish.
FrankySelector
Posted 2018-02-02 4:45 PM (#541052 - in reply to #541048)

figured as much

thanks a bunch,
F
Nordicnorm
Posted 2018-02-07 10:13 PM (#541122 - in reply to #541048)

Sorry if I am late to the party. Patience is the key to using super glue (CA). It will bond instantly when squeezed between two surface, but needs many hours to fully cure if it is in a puddle or pool.
De-string. Can you see light through the crack with a flashlight inside the guitar? If you can, put a rag inside, as some glue may come through the crack and end up in the bowl.
Stand the guitar almost vertical and put a couple of drops at the top of the crack. Watch it creep down the crack till it stops. Add another couple of drops till you reach the end of the crack. Lay it down and wait 24 hours. Check with flashlight and repeat if crack is still open.
Once closed, use a "whip tip" from StewMac to build up the glue in the crack with the guitar horizontal (prevents too much glue on the sides of the crack), 24 hours between applications. Over build it till it is proud of the surface.
Mask off both sides (left and right of center) of a razor blade (not the crack) and scrape the glue down till it is flush with the surface, or close, then wet sand from 1000 to 2000 and buff (or rubbing compound and buffing).
If you make the mistake of scraping before the glue is fully cured (patience!) it can come out porous and milky.
I see there is a new glue that is tinted that may help make the scar in the wood less visible through the finish.
Don't rush and you will make yourself proud.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)