The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
FS my lovely Parlor Custom Legend 12 string

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-03-31 6:01 AM (#558220)
Subject: FS my lovely Parlor Custom Legend 12 string

I decided to give away this extraordinary guitar in good hands. My playing style has changed and this guitar looks nice on the wall but should be played more.

I swear it´s one of the easiest playing 12 strings EVER.
If you want to listen, I made a couple of videos for youtube, search Ovation 12 string parlor or check out Meister Michel. These are pure acoustic, the guitar is a killer with amplification.
As far as I know this is the only 12 string Ovation parlor guitar in existence.
I added a fine armrest and ball bearings for the tuners for easy and fast tuning.
In one of my former threads I showed you how I stabilized the (A-braced) top, it has not moved since then and has no cracks.

Here´s how she looks today:

I´m asking 1500€ plus shipping

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Location is Germany

Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2023-03-31 8:11 AM (#558221 - in reply to #558220)
Subject: Re: FS my lovely Parlor Custom Legend 12 string

Beautiful, but alas, I am not worthy. I shall watch the proceedings with some interest, though!
d'ovation
Posted 2023-03-31 10:23 AM (#558223 - in reply to #558220)

I will be in Germany for a month again in April and this is so tempting as I only have a six string there. I sure hope that someone will pick this up before I cave in.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-03-31 12:13 PM (#558224 - in reply to #558220)

12string guitars never sell fast. If you are in Germany, you can contact me if you want and maybe play it. But - I must warn you, this one is quite addictive;-)
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-07-11 7:29 AM (#558446 - in reply to #558220)

No one, not even an offer? That does not follow the rules of demand and supply. This is the rare of the rarest Ov. and really easy playable like all Ov 12strings. I do not sell this for the $$, I would wish to find someone who will really love it. And where else shall I find one?
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-07-11 3:58 PM (#558447 - in reply to #558220)

@d'ovation - >>>I sure hope that someone will pick this up before I cave in.<<<

Cave, man, cave! Just think, if you cave now, the guitar will be there waiting on the next trip over (assuming you are back in Canada by now), and the cost pain of the caving will be far in the past with no international shipping hassle or damage. This is one of the most interesting guitars I have ever seen on here. I must have been gone when it first came up. Very nice, Detlef!

PS: What was the year it was built?

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-07-11 4:11 PM
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-07-12 1:45 AM (#558450 - in reply to #558220)
Subject: RE: FS my lovely Parlor Custom Legend 12 string

Sigh. It's not that I urgently want to get rid of this guitar. But my preferences and my style of playing change every now and then. In the last time I started with double neck guitars and this is great fun but time-consuming. And I have a little trouble with small-body guitars, my (old) shoulders work better with jumbo sizes.Besides that I'm in the enviably position to own 20 excellent guitars but I also must face the fact that I will have to give them away step by step. My fingers slowly start to show signs of decades of overuse (I'm a craftsman) and my guitar abilities decline. I've already chosen the 3 I will keep...
Soon my 1688 may occur on this site,too.
The small Ovation surely was based on the 97 collector and I guess it must have been made around that time. The only issue was that the builder had decuded to use a conventional A bracing which sounds great but is little too weak for 12 string tractor pull. I finally succeeded to support the top with 2 additional braces and I only use light strings and I tune it 1/2 step down(just like all of my 12 strings). This appears to be stable for years now. As we say in German, the guitar does not eat my bread, and I will gladly keep it for now.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2023-07-13 5:45 PM (#558457 - in reply to #558450)

Detlef that is a beautiful and unique guitar I'm generally partial to deep bowls but I bet it sounds great,I'm not in the market right now more in the I should seli instead of buy for awhile I have 5 Custom Legend 12 strings already.Have you taken anything for your joints I take a couple supplements to try to keep my hands from aching to much and improve mobility.I'm suprised you mentioned selling your 1688-5 my Adamas 12 strings will be the last to go as they pry them from my cold dead hands(a little dark humor).
I hope someone worthy grabs that Custom Legend parlor 12 string take care of yourself.Kevin

:
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-07-13 10:43 PM (#558459 - in reply to #558220)

@2WD - >>>I'm not in the market right now<<<

May as well shoot and bury me, because now I've heard everything.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2023-07-14 3:49 PM (#558460 - in reply to #558459)

Love O Fair - 2023-07-13 10:43 PM

@2WD - >>>I'm not in the market right now<<<

May as well shoot and bury me, because now I've heard everything.

LOF I can't buy every guitar I see as pretty as it is !!

You haven't heard me say I'm selling my Cadillac Green Custom Legend 1769 your always drooling over.
I have to have eye surgery/partial corneal transplant in August so whose to say what I might sell for medical bills

Love O Fair
Posted 2023-07-15 5:52 AM (#558461 - in reply to #558220)

@2WD - >>>I can't buy every guitar I see as pretty as it is !!<<<

Exactly. And if I wasn't so busy spending everyone else's money on sale threads like this one I would shut up and buy it myself. But.. well.. what you said.

My brother had great success with the same surgery. Claims he now has vision like a teen. So I wish the same for your eyes and wallet. Of course, if I was your doctor I'd probably just offer up an even trade for the green Caddie and hopefully not drool in your eye.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-07-20 11:54 AM (#558478 - in reply to #558220)

For my fingers I´ve been taking devil´s claw for a while, helps a bit.
I always had GAS. If I would not have sold most of them I would have ended like the great collectors with hundreds of guitars to rot unplayed in glass cabinets.
And broke...I have to sell a guitar to get another one.
My first real guitar was a Hofner 12string. Followed by an Ibanez 12 string...
I changed my guitarist-mind so often...once I had 25 Hofner archtop guitars but found out that I will never learn to play them...then I collected vintage guitars, most of them barely playable, to collect Martins is nice but way too expensive..then I grabbed Ovations, not the worst idea. I cheered and loved them but time after time I came back to wood guitars, don´t ask me why. Solid wood guitars, hand made guitars, started seriously with 12 string guitars again, I think I must have had almost all of them, kept only the best.
I really thought I found my peace with that but then I stumbled on my first double-neck guitar (Ovation CSE) and BANG my guitarist-life changed again. I found that most double-necks are -not good-, but some of them have IT. (The Ovation Richie Sambora for instance is so much better than the CSE).
It is hard to find good double neck acoustics. I kept the 1980 YAIRI, the 1980 DAION and a strange Nylon/12string double by VOGEL(Quito). And out there is a very interesting carbon guitar called Chimaera but it´s stretching my budget, maybe I´ll find a used one one day...

Now I get lost every day in dozens of combinations of open tunings and capo positions and re-arrange all my favourite songs and I´m happy. For now.
My fingers hurt.
Am I the only lunatic or do you know similar patients?

2wheeldrummer
Posted 2023-07-20 5:53 PM (#558483 - in reply to #558220)

Detlef your "Preaching To The Asylum" I think !!!
I take a glucosimine(Flexeasy) supplement and a Turmeric/Curcumin compound for my old joints.
I think you out-Gassed me but I've been through a few phases and many guitars ,I've settled with my first love on a higher plane.
My first real guitar was a Ovation Legend 12 string,didn't know how to play it just loved the sound of 12 strings,
I'm now hooked on Adamas 12 strings and think carbon-fiber works so well with the 12 string tone nothing tops it in my very biased opinion.
Emerald makes the "Chimera" you were talking about I believe,its an all carbon-fiber guitar and they look cool,Id love to try an Emerald X30 jumbo 12 string I bet it sounds huge but they are pricey,I'd have to sell something to get one as you said so we'll see.
So your not the only lunatic just make sure the men in the white coats let me take a guitar with me to my rubber room.
Play-on..Play-happy and enjoy music for as long as you can,Kevin
alpep
Posted 2023-07-20 6:42 PM (#558486 - in reply to #558220)

wow a 12 parlor
d'ovation
Posted 2023-07-21 7:52 AM (#558488 - in reply to #558220)

Is there an Ovation hardcase that fits included? I am a bit worried about the bracing as I only play in standard C tuning - would that damage the guitar?
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-07-21 12:13 PM (#558489 - in reply to #558220)

The (heavy) original OV collector´s case is included it´s the only case that will fit.
I would not tune the guitar to concert pitch. I´m quite sure there will be no sudden damage but the bracing will not stand this for longer time. That´s because the normal A bracings have no continuous bars that could deduce the pressure of the 12strings like an X-brace would. When I got the guitar the top was about to fall inside several mms and I first used heat, pressure (from inside) and patience to reform the structure of the top, then I fixed loose braces and the loose aluminium reinforcements as good as possible so that the A-braces , which had an angle before in the middle, were aligned again. (aw man that´s so hard to explain in english). After that I added 2 addional parallell braces made of very old, hard spruce on the sides where the top had the worst indentations before. That seemed to make a great difference, the top has not moved since then and IMHO there was no influence to the sound. As I mentioned before, I never tune 12strings up. And I use strings with extremely low and eqalized tension, no string with more than 10kgs, rather less. Maybe one could use silk and steel strings. For big noise standard tuning better use a Taylor or a Guild or a Lakewood.....but....my Taylor also sounds better tuned down...
besides that the guitar is a parlor guitar, sounds really nice but it´s definetely not loud. Thus light strings just make it better playable. Plays easier than the bigger custom legend, but has exactly the same neck. The amplified sound
is perfect, well balanced.and surprisingly powerful.
If I could I would make a new top with an Adamas bracing...
Patch
Posted 2023-07-21 8:52 PM (#558490 - in reply to #558220)
Subject: RE: FS my lovely Parlor Custom Legend 12 string

To put it simply...

Don't I wish! It would be a perfect compliment to my Koa Custom and my Redwood nylon string parlors.

Edited by Patch 2023-07-21 8:54 PM
Standingovation
Posted 2023-07-22 2:10 PM (#558492 - in reply to #558220)

I own a parlor sized 12-string from another manufacturer and indeed they sound unlike anything else. Also very comfortable to play.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-07-26 11:50 AM (#558502 - in reply to #558492)

Standingovation - 2023-07-22 9:10 PM

I own a parlor sized 12-string from another manufacturer and indeed they sound unlike anything else. Also very comfortable to play.

That´s my problem, I play a lot of fingerstyle and for my right hand the position on small guitars is very difficult to handle, the bigger OV´s are better, Jumbos are best.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)