The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Shallow/super shallow bowl nylon string guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Evan
Posted 2023-06-29 9:11 PM (#558412)
Subject: Shallow/super shallow bowl nylon string guitar

WANTED: I don't want to jump to the high end of Ovation/Applause before I try out something like the Ovation Celebrity CS28C5G or the Applause AE34GTR.I prefer a cedar face. I am new to the Ovation/Applause lines and would be interested in hearing about other possibilities. This looks to me like the forum to provide the information I'm looking for--thanks for any consideration given.............
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-06-29 9:52 PM (#558414 - in reply to #558412)
Subject: Re: Shallow/super shallow bowl nylon string guitar

The range is vast, and not easily described based on what you have stated in preference to your own playing style and desire for sound. Aside from dotting around music stores that may have both new and used guitars, you can always hit the local Craigslist to try out what people have for sale and hear their opinions on the brand and models. Which models have you played already?

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-06-29 9:59 PM
Evan
Posted 2023-06-30 9:08 AM (#558416 - in reply to #558414)

O Fair; I've played the Adamas and an Applause shallow bowl. The Adamas had incredible sound but was steel string and too big for my taste and comfort. The Applause was a nice fit with not bad sound but it was not electric and the intonation was way off.

I've been keeping an eye on Craig's List, Reverb, and general on-line possibilities in Canada.
Mike S.
Posted 2023-06-30 11:19 AM (#558417 - in reply to #558416)

Hello, Evan,
Mike S. from Ottawa, ON., CANADA here. Try KIJIJI CANADA with your nearest city in the search bar. I found my 1993 OVATION Collector's Series on KIJIJI Ottawa-Gatineau in 2016. I hope this helps.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA.
Evan
Posted 2023-06-30 11:52 AM (#558418 - in reply to #558417)

Thank you Mike. I've looked toward Canada, but not the source you mention--I'll get on it.

Also, for a close approximation of what I'm looking for: The Ovation CS 28C-5G and the Applause AE 34GTR. I'm not fond of the colors of the red or black colors I'm seeing for the guitars, but I may end up accepting form over color.
Patch
Posted 2023-06-30 2:01 PM (#558419 - in reply to #558412)
Subject: RE: Shallow/super shallow bowl nylon string guitar

Here's something at a Guitar Center in CA. They're sketchy on detail though, so you would have to call and ask all the right questions.

Ovation 1863-x SSB

Evan
Posted 2023-06-30 4:18 PM (#558421 - in reply to #558419)

Thank you for the suggestion, a definite option. The price is little high for a first run at a type of guitar and I'd prefer a smaller nut width.

Your suggestion adds to the list: CS 28C-5G, 1763 LX, CC059-4C, 1863X.
Evan
Posted 2023-07-01 7:25 PM (#558424 - in reply to #558421)

Patch: I've made an inquiry regarding the 1863--thanks for the heads up.
Evan
Posted 2023-07-03 12:50 PM (#558430 - in reply to #558424)

GC does not answer my emails. I may give up on my desire for an Ovation. I've been through more than 50 nylon string guitars (I'm an addict) and have found my favorite with a Blackbird Savoy, the only one like it in the universe. But as with other matters, try one and you want to try them all. I've appreciated the input from this forum. I think I'll go to a 12-step program to get over my lust for an Ovation shallow/super shallow bowl guitar.
BCam
Posted 2023-07-04 2:01 PM (#558433 - in reply to #558412)

It's a medium bowl, but my Ovation 1624 Country Artist is a fantastic nylon string Ovation with a 1 7/8" wide nut. Prices can be quite high but deals are out there. It's my understanding that the prototype 1624 was designed for Glen Campbell based on his ideas for a nylon string guitar. I found mine on CL for $250 w/original case (the guy didn't know what he had). The seller had several different instruments and was generally knowledgeable so I didn't feel bad about paying his price. It had one steel string on it (A string?) but it doesn't seem to have caused any damage. Here are some currently listed by Reverb. Note that the some of these are described as "classical", which, aside from having nylon strings, they're not:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ovation%201624

Edited by BCam 2023-07-04 2:04 PM
Evan
Posted 2023-07-04 7:12 PM (#558435 - in reply to #558433)

Bob;

The County Artist is an incredible instrument and you got one of the best deals I've seen in a long time. I don't understand why someone would put a steel string on nylon strung instrument. The only instrument that I know can take both steel and/or nylon is the Blackbird Savoy--It was built as a steel string guitar but Someone on the Acoustic Guitar Forum tried nylons and was amazed. I purchased a Savoy and had Blackbird replace the bridge with a string tie. It's a great nylon string guitar.

I've tried the medium and full-sized Ovation bowls and they are too big for me. I've been looking for shallow or super shallow bowl nylon guitars and they are pretty scarce. I've put a bid in a CC059-4C and made inquiries regarding the 1863X noted by Patch--haven't heard back..
Evan
Posted 2023-07-04 7:12 PM (#558436 - in reply to #558433)

Bob;

The County Artist is an incredible instrument and you got one of the best deals I've seen in a long time. I don't understand why someone would put a steel string on nylon strung instrument. The only instrument that I know can take both steel and/or nylon is the Blackbird Savoy--It was built as a steel string guitar but Someone on the Acoustic Guitar Forum tried nylons and was amazed. I purchased a Savoy and had Blackbird replace the bridge with a string tie. It's a great nylon string guitar.

I've tried the medium and full-sized Ovation bowls and they are too big for me. I've been looking for shallow or super shallow bowl nylon guitars and they are pretty scarce. I've put a bid in a CC059-4C and made inquiries regarding the 1863X noted by Patch--haven't heard back.
Evan
Posted 2023-07-04 7:12 PM (#558437 - in reply to #558433)

Bob;

I've tried the medium and full-sized Ovation bowls and they are too big for me. I've been looking for shallow or super shallow bowl nylon guitars and they are pretty scarce. I've put a bid in a CC059-4C and made inquiries regarding the 1863X noted by Patch--haven't heard back.
Evan
Posted 2023-07-04 7:12 PM (#558438 - in reply to #558433)

Bob;

Evan
Posted 2023-07-05 7:04 PM (#558440 - in reply to #558438)

I found, and have settled on an Applause AE GTR shallow bowl nylon string guitar. It's not exactly what I wanted but it will let me know if the shallow bowl is a good fit.

In the meantime, I ran across an 1863X on Ebay, listed as "junk." A thin layer below the bridge has lifted and the bridge will need to be reset (maybe). I have no idea what happened, but my guess is that someone put steel strings on a beautiful nylon instrument and have suffered the consequences. The owner is asking $400 which I think is about twice what the guitar is worth, given the risk involved to bring the guitar back to life. It would be an interesting project.

Edited by Evan 2023-07-05 7:07 PM
BCam
Posted 2023-07-06 10:45 AM (#558441 - in reply to #558438)

Evan - 2023-07-04 5:12 PM

Bob;

I don't understand why someone would put a steel string on nylon strung instrument.

Apparently, he or the prior owner didn't know the difference between a metal wound nylon string and a metal wound steel string.
Evan
Posted 2023-07-06 9:02 PM (#558442 - in reply to #558441)

I also wonder, if steel strings caused the problem, did the owner even know what the problem was??? Could have been a novice player with more dollars than sense.
BCam
Posted 2023-07-07 11:11 AM (#558443 - in reply to #558442)

Evan - 2023-07-06 7:02 PM

I also wonder, if steel strings caused the problem, did the owner even know what the problem was??? Could have been a novice player with more dollars than sense.

There wasn't any problem or damage. It was only one steel string and I don't know how long it had been there. The seller was more into mandolins so I don't think he knew a lot about guitars, especially Ovations.

Edited by BCam 2023-07-07 11:13 AM
Evan
Posted 2023-07-08 11:35 AM (#558444 - in reply to #558443)

As noted, I've purchased an Applause AE 34 GTR, which I believe has a shallow bowl. I no sooner made the order when an Ovation CC059 showed up on Ebay. I think the CCo59 has a super shallow bowl, and I may end up buying it as well as the Applause. I normally buy high and sell low and count the loss as rental. I've never tried two at a time, but such a sale offers a keen chance to compare.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)