The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Need to find the model # and specs for an older Ovation - model sticker missing.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-09 5:19 AM (#545188)
Subject: Need to find the model # and specs for an older Ovation - model sticker missing.

Hello all. Glad I found you.

Today I bought my first Ovation 6-string through a charity fund-raiser. The previous owner removed the sticker inside the body so the charity is not sure what model it is or anything more about it as it was donated. The serial number (next to where the sticker was) is 446059 and the closest information I can find through tracing it online via ovationtribute.com is that it was possibly built in 1992 but that's as far as I was able to do any definitive research and I'm not sure just how accurate that is. Other than that, all that I know about it is that it's a cutaway, deep-bowl (I think; it measures about 5-3/4"), round-back, acoustic-electric that has a glossy black top with multi-port sound holes/epaulets in both upper bouts and the EQ just has treble/bass/gain adjustments without a volume knob that I've seen on some other O pre-amps. The only manuals that came with it are one for "Service Centers, USA and Canada" that has a part number of OV130/93 and the owner's manual with a part number of 990004-H 5/93, but I don't know if they are the original ones. (The owner's manual says the pre-amp is an OP-24 but I'm not sure if that is accurate.)

From doing an image search, I originally thought this may be a CC257 but then I found in the ovationtribute.com archives an international catalog from November 1992 (see link below) that lists specs for the various models. What I can glean from there is that this may be a CC268 instead because it is supposed to have a deep bowl whereas the CC257 is listed as super-shallow bowl. Adding to the confusion is the fret inlay pattern, This one has the 9 diamond-dot while the catalog states the inlays on both the CC268 and CC257 are the 15 diamond-dot pattern. (Page 7 of the catalog shows the CC257-AB with the same 9 diamond-dot pattern I have, while the other colorways on that same page have 15.) Also, the catalog states that the machine heads are supposed to be chrome for the CC268 while the ones on this guitar are gold tone like the CC257 (may not be original).

I'm hoping someone can help me find out more about it by looking up the serial number if that's possible. I'd like to know the model number and what features it came with such as the type of wood in the neck/fretboard/top/saddle, the model of electronics (and any serial numbers on those to check for original parts), the country (countries?) of manufacture, if it truly is a deep-bowl and anything else noteworthy. Could you provide that for me or do you have suggestions on where I can find this info? Let me know if you need any info I haven't provided here.

Thanks in advance,
~Grae

Reference: http://www.ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/1992_Ovation_Jp_Vol_1_Cata...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-09 5:30 AM (#545189 - in reply to #545188)
Subject: RE: Need to find the model # and specs for an older Ovation - model sticker missing.

It looks exactly like this one. https://reverb.com/item/14732057-ovation-celebrity-deluxe-cc268-acou...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-09-09 2:33 PM (#545191 - in reply to #545188)
Subject: Re: Need to find the model # and specs for an older Ovation - model sticker missing.

A six-digit serial number is usually a USA number.

To determine if you guitar is USA-made... Look at the fingerboard extension.
If it looks like this it might be USA made.
(some Korean guitars look similar)

If it looks like this, it is definitely a Celebrity (or Applause).

But to determine the model of your guitar it would help to have a photo of your actual guitar.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2018-09-09 6:45 PM (#545192 - in reply to #545188)
Subject: Re: Need to find the model # and specs for an older Ovation - model sticker missing.

I believe the fret markers are a tell as well. As OMA said... if you could post pics and link to them, that would be the best.
GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-10 1:27 PM (#545196 - in reply to #545191)

Here are the photos I have of it that the seller posted. If you need any particular close-ups to see details, please let me know.
GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-10 1:28 PM (#545197 - in reply to #545188)
Subject: RE: Need to find the model # and specs for an older Ovation - model sticker missing.

Here are the photos I have of it that the seller posted. If you need any particular close-ups to see details, please let me know.
GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-10 1:56 PM (#545198 - in reply to #545196)

The BB software wouldn't allow me to attach the photos, so I uploaded them onto an instagram account I opened but never used. There are now 8 photos of the guitar there. Thanks for taking a look.

https://www.instagram.com/graematterz/
GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-10 8:33 PM (#545201 - in reply to #545192)

Couldn't post them here, so I put them on my unused instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/graematterz/ Thanks!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-09-11 12:46 AM (#545202 - in reply to #545188)

I looks like an old Celebrity.
Other than that...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-09-11 12:58 AM (#545203 - in reply to #545188)

You are Free to post in the General Posting area.
Maybe someone else will have a similar guitar and can answer your questions.
Welcome.
GraeMatterz
Posted 2018-09-11 4:25 PM (#545210 - in reply to #545203)

OK, I'll do that. Thanks so much!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)