The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
GP Wanted

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Big Beat
Posted 2003-07-29 12:07 PM (#342846 - in reply to #342821)
Subject: Re: GP Wanted

Andi,

I feel your pain. In '88, my band members persuaded me to trade in my GP for something that looked more "cool" and had a Floyd Rose. I took it to several music stores and not one dealer would offer me more than about $100 in trade (not even in cash). If anyone had taken me up on it, I would have traded the GP for some pointy head, idiot-stick horror ten times over. But no one wanted it, so I went back to my guys feeling really mad and told them that if they wanted me in the band, they'll have to deal with my GP and tough luck if they don't like how it looks. A year later, when I had a little more experience with other guitars and realized that mine was better than anything else I had ever played up to that point, and that I had never seen another guitar like it, I got interested in its history. That's when I decided that I will never sell it. I still break out in cold sweat when I think how I once may have foolishly sold it. My first electric guitar, my only guitar for many years, and it's gonna be my last one when they bury me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-07-29 12:22 PM (#342847 - in reply to #342821)

Yes they're cool, yes they're pretty good guitars, yes they're rare. They still ain't worth what they're fetching, but then nor are 50's Gretches, 59 LP's, early Strats & Teles, pre-war flat-tops. The vintage/collectors guitar market has never been easy to figure out.
alpep
Posted 2003-07-29 12:28 PM (#342848 - in reply to #342821)

Originally posted by ickygoo:
Scott / intermetroman

It would be ridiculous to think they would sell for $1500-$1800 without Homme.

Nope, they sold for about that in certain circles pre-Queens.

[.

sorry but I disagree these guitar never sold for that kind of money before josh
innerman
Posted 2003-07-29 1:31 PM (#342849 - in reply to #342821)

Ick - I would guess that the "certain circles" you speak of are probably Kyuss fans, by and large.

He plays other guitars, sure, but he is identified with the GP. If he quits using them altogether, I bet the price would drop drastically.

The Breadwinner limited was a small run - 500 or so. They top out at around $500.00. One sold last week for $462.00. My logic is that rarity in an Ovation doesn't necesarily beget high price.

The sheep comment was meant to imply wishful thinking. It seems like wishful thinking to say that the GP would sell for $1500 without Homme.

You are mistaken when you say that I want Ovations to rise in price. I prefer them to stay where they are, so they are easier for me to acquire. I am not pissed off at all that the GP's are selling for a premium right now. I choose not to pay the going rate. My choice, and I'm comfortable with it.

Finally - no, I was not flirting with you. Actually I have re-read my original post and I can't find any homosexual overtones anywhere. Really, how did you come up with that one? If you want to examine latent homo tendencies, start with how in the world you found homo references in my post - then we'll examine your choice of screen names.
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-29 2:21 PM (#342850 - in reply to #342821)

Scott,

The certain circles I mentioned were guitar shows and that's just what I've been told.

He plays other guitars, sure, but he is identified with the GP. If he quits using them altogether, I bet the price would drop drastically.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but if your argument is that the underground fans of Josh and his bands drove the price up, then the price will never really go down that much even if he stopped playing them all together. They're will still be people who want the vintage Kyuss sound.

My logic is that rarity in an Ovation doesn't necesarily beget high price.

True but when dealing in rarity I think when unique (GP) versus ugly (Limited), unique will fetch a higher price. And yes I know my opinion is of what is unique and ugly is subjective.

The sheep comment was meant to imply wishful thinking. It seems like wishful thinking to say that the GP would sell for $1500 without Homme.

Okay if you say so. Sounds like backpedaling to me.

You are mistaken when you say that I want Ovations to rise in price.

Actually that's what I said it seemed like. I made it clear that I in no way thought my opinion was gospel.

Finally - no, I was not flirting with you. Actually I have re-read my original post and I can't find any homosexual overtones anywhere. Really, how did you come up with that one? If you want to examine latent homo tendencies, start with how in the world you found homo references in my post - then we'll examine your choice of screen names.

Someone's getting a little defensive. You Texas boys are so easy to rile up. Settle down sweetie, it was just a joke. Kisses.
innerman
Posted 2003-07-29 2:43 PM (#342851 - in reply to #342821)

Allright, I'll flog the horse a little more...relax ick - flog is not sexual. Not for me anyway.

Now, upon further questioning, the certain circles of high rolling GP afficianados who paid top dollar pre-Homme and appreciate the guitar for its aesthetic value and placed no emphasis on the Homme connection are now revealed to be...something someone told you about a guitar show? I didn't see the spike in value until about 4-5 years ago, with a huge uptick in interest and traffic after the Guitar Player issue.

I disagree with your statement about the GP retaining value if Homme dumps them. I would speculate that most of his fans would want whatever he chooses to play next. I think very few would keep allegience to the GP and spurn Homme's new choice. I think they would transfer their allegience to his new guitar.

I wasn't backpedaling on the sheep thing. Just explaining, which I'll do again. You get defensive when someone points out the obvious - that the guitars have sharply risen in value because of Homme. It just seems that you don't want that to be true. You protest too much.

Now, as far as the homo stuff and the "relax" and getting riled up...Go back and read the posts. You pushed first, and when I pushed back you started squealing about me pushing you. Come on, you look silly. I'll trade barbs with you - but let it be a good debate. Don't start whining that I'm being too rough. Shit boy, I haven't even warmed up on you yet. I don't want to embarrass you, so let's just talk about the guitars, OK?
ickygoo
Posted 2003-07-29 3:31 PM (#342852 - in reply to #342821)

Now, upon further questioning, the certain circles of high rolling GP afficianados who paid top dollar pre-Homme and appreciate the guitar for its aesthetic value and placed no emphasis on the Homme connection are now revealed to be...something someone told you about a guitar show?

Buddy, I don't want to be "that guy" but seriously that is one crazy sentence. Anyway the answer to your question is it was a discussion on this very board. I was just clarifying that I have no 1st hand knowledge, just reporting what I've heard. Hell, I've never even been to a guitar show

I disagree with your statement about the GP retaining value if Homme dumps them.

Okay. Now we're talking. We exchanged ideas. You disagree, no worries. It's all theoretical anyway. Who knows maybe you're even right.

You get defensive when someone points out the obvious - that the guitars have sharply risen in value because of Homme. It just seems that you don't want that to be true. You protest too much.

No, I agree that they have risen because of Josh. In fact I said that they are at an all time high because of him. I am also saying that I've heard that the guitars fetched a pretty penny in the past as well. Without a doubt he is a famous player who uses them and has one as his main guitar. This has made GP's much more visible and much more in demand. Heck on the Queens board someone is always asking "What kind of guitar does Josh play?" So once again I'm saying yes, GP's go for a lot because of Josh. I'm also saying that it's harder to get one for a deal because more people now know what they are. But from what I've heard people have paid a lot for them in the past, just not as often are as high as now.

Now, as far as the homo stuff and the "relax" and getting riled up...Go back and read the posts. You pushed first, and when I pushed back you started squealing about me pushing you. Come on, you look silly. I'll trade barbs with you - but let it be a good debate. Don't start whining that I'm being too rough. Shit boy, I haven't even warmed up on you yet. I don't want to embarrass you, so let's just talk about the guitars, OK?

Nope I wasn't squealing, but if that's how you took it - fine. I was just retorting back. The problem with written words is there's no inflection. I'm more than willing to have a debate, in fact that's what I've been doing. I don't even mind poking fun at each other, I just think there's a way to do it. This 'shit boy I haven't even warmed up yet' stuff. Come on. I'm trying to keep it light here. This is a damn guitar forum. And you’re calling me silly for stating my opinion and calling you out for trying to be a pigheaded bully 'cause I disagree with you? Look if this is gonna turn into a 'fuck you, you wanna piece of this' dialogue, then great I can't get enough of those. The fact is I don't have a problem with you, we just disagree about a guitar's value. Really not earth shattering stuff if you ask me. So whatever, think I'm a silly, protesting whiner. You're opinion of me probably matters as little as does my opinion of you. But like you said if you wanna talk guitars, cool. If not I'm sure we can keep this amazing exchange going for awhile.
innerman
Posted 2003-07-29 3:59 PM (#342853 - in reply to #342821)

OK, the crazy sentence...when you made reference a couple of times to the GP selling high before Homme "in certain circles", you sounded as though you were speaking from experience. I was facetiously pointing out that you were mostly speculating.

How about a montage of icky quotes...

"And this crap about every wannabe trying to get one is just plain silly."
(How many first time posters to this board have been Josh fans asking about a GP? How many GP bidders on eBay are Homme fans? I would speculate that ALL of the buyers in the last couple years have been Homme fans- SK)

"I found out about the GP because of Kyuss and Queens." (I think this is true of most bidders -SK)

" Sure there are people who want it just because of Josh, I?ll give you that. But you can?t say he?s the only reason the guitar has some value. Don't be so quick to judge, especially about things you know very little about. It's the mark of a young mind or an old mindset."
(No one said it is the only reason they have some value - it was said that Homme is the reason they have their current high value. By the way, it was along about here in your post where I decided to respond and push back a little, because you started sounding pretty pompous and seemed to go on the offensive with someone who disagreed with you. - SK)

"Heck on the Queens board someone is always asking "What kind of guitar does Josh play?" So once again I'm saying yes, GP's go for a lot because of Josh." (Well, which is it? Do you agree or disagree with me? -SK)

OOOHHHHH - I get it now, you're from Los Angeles. Now I understand the cause of the waffling and the circuitous reasoning.I bet you voted for Gray Davis, didn't you?

SK
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-07-29 4:06 PM (#342854 - in reply to #342821)

Would you guys both just grow up! What the hell is this need to be right and get the last word in?

You sound like my 11 and 9 year olds fighting. Hey Miles, how about just deleting this thread. It's getting real old real fast.
innerman
Posted 2003-07-29 4:09 PM (#342855 - in reply to #342821)

Paul,

Hey, I've always enjoyed your posts, and you've been on the board a hell of a long time. I'm sure you understand that you don't have to read or take part in this conversation.

I'm done with it anyway, I was just trying to bring it around to a conclusion before I signed off.

Besides, what is the limit on number of posts back and forth? If he responds twice and I still don't agree, would I be crossing some line to respond again? And isn't it a bit childish of you to appeal to Miles for help instead of just leaving the thread? I don't want to pick a fight with you. If you don't like this particular discussion - go to a different thread and leave this one alone.

My apologies for the "shit boy" comment - I actually thought it would get a laugh if taken in context. Even ick mentioned that you can't hear inflection on the screen. I was being absurd in order to demonstrate absurdity. I'll clean it up in the future.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-07-29 4:14 PM (#342856 - in reply to #342821)

..Besides, what is the limit on number of posts back and forth?

You can keep going until you piss off Miles or Al.

I know both you guys from your posts which is why I'm stepping between you. Time to stop it before it gets nasty. I don't want you guys to get pissed. This board can't afford to lose either of you.

Don't make me squeeze a buck out of Al to hire me so I can thump on both of you (I only do it when I'm getting paid 'cause I'm a cheap bastard!).

All this makes me glad I'm playing a Thunderhead, which nobody outside a us, has ever heard of.
innerman
Posted 2003-07-29 4:27 PM (#342857 - in reply to #342821)

I hope I'm not thought of as a hot-head. I'm pretty sure the only other time I went off was when somebody was giving the French guy a hard time, just because he was French.

Sometimes I disagree with things that are said here - and this time I actually felt like sticking up for the guy that ick was talking to.
Once I started, I wasn't going to throw one grenade then run. I decided to stay and talk it out.

Can't be Lassie every day, I suppose.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-07-29 5:15 PM (#342858 - in reply to #342821)

Here's another perspective: Back around the time the GP came out, Fender started the Squier range but fucked up and put the Fender logo on the headstock alongside a tiny little Squier logo. Fender USA were at a low point and the Squiers were killer, the logo thing soon changed, as did the quality of Squiers. Around then Tokai were doing the Strat's, Tele's & LPs that got them sued. All of these guitars in terms of build quality & materials are way ahead not only of the GP, but also comparable to or better than contemporary Gibsons & Fenders. They currently fetch realistic market prices which are considerably less than the prices of the US guitars on which they were based. Why? because the real things get played by the big names & those particular Squires & Tokais, as great as they are don't, and are perceived as "copies". It's the hero worship thing. Having said that the hero worship thing sells a lot of Squiers & Epiphones or whatever to beginners who will aspire to the real thing, so that's OK. I just don't see a GP as the "real thing"

I look at this as a bystander, I have no interest in owning a GP except as a dealer to turn a profit, which I have, a big one (thanks Josh) & no interest in JH and his music. I think the GP's are very good guitars, which have held their value very well. Try selling an early 80's Korean guitar and see what you get, the Ovation Ultra GS is a perfect example. Finaly, and this will be my last word on the subject, promise. Anyone who buys a guitar or amp or whatever in the hope of sounding like their hero is deluding themselves. Sound is in the hands, heart & head, not in a bunch of wood and wires.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-07-29 8:04 PM (#342859 - in reply to #342821)

"Sound is in the hands, heart & head, not in a bunch of wood and wires."

So nice, worth saying twice.

FYI Moody...

I wish you wouldn't infer that Al or I EVER delete posts. We don't, and we won't unless it's extreme and vulgar and most importantly requested of by several members (that has only happened once). We pride ourselves on not having to police the boards. If folks want to get into it, that's ok with us. This is a big community and occationally folks disagree. That makes it interesting. Kind of like watching an episode of Monster Garage. Yep sometimes people get nasty about it... that's life. But I digress. I don't want anyone to feel they can't say what they want to (within reason of the terms you agreed to when joining) without being policed.
smbeatty
Posted 2019-05-09 8:34 AM (#548924 - in reply to #342821)

16 years later and they're still going for $2K-$3K.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)