The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Lighter strings on my Ovation Acoustic

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

RBoetger
Posted 2019-07-23 9:40 PM (#549475)
Subject: Lighter strings on my Ovation Acoustic

I am a fairly new player I would like to put a lighter gauge strings on my guitar. Will this affect the intonation or the neck adjustment? Currently I have .012 - .053 Gauge

Thanks

Ron
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2019-07-23 9:52 PM (#549476 - in reply to #549475)
Subject: Re: Lighter strings on my Ovation Acoustic

The simple answer is yes. But the deeper question is will it affect it enough in a negative way to matter and that really depends on the guitar and how much lighter you are going to go. This all assumes it's setup correctly to start with. My suggestion is try it. However, if there is an issue such as string buzz, before going to great lengths adjusting this and that... remove the strings, ensure the neck is dead flat (no bow or relief) and ensure the frets are all the same height. This is a trick a learned recently and wish someone would have told me about it 30+ years ago. It's so obvious. Fret height can change for a variety of reasons ranging from them never being level to start with, to temperature, and of course wear. Adjusting a neck is pretty easy, but it's even easier and results in a better playing instrument when you start from square one... e.g. flat neck, level frets. In fact, of you have a flat neck and level frets, if the bridge is the correct height, putting on the recommended strings should bring the bow up to perfect with very little need to adjust anything if at all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)