The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Questions on Ovation necks and models

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

cumberlandjames
Posted 2022-07-19 6:46 AM (#557514)
Subject: Questions on Ovation necks and models

Hi everyone. New kid on the block and new to ovations. Always was fascinated by them and finally took the plunge and bought not one but two, a CS257 & CS24. Wasn't really sure what I was buying or what to look for. I bought the CS24 first and was really amazed by the sound and playability. Shortly afterwards I found a pretty rough CS267 and bought it. Did some rejuvenating and also pretty pleased. Has some finish cracks but nothing serious, had to fix the battery door and a ton of cleaning. You can actually see the neck now.

Really like the small neck on the 267 but love the unplugged sound of the 24 mid-bowl. Can anyone tell me if there is a model out there with the mid-bowl and the small neck of the CS267. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to the names of the various style necks or if there is a ref document that identifies details such as this.

I'm 73 and getting arthritis in my hands so find bar chords getting tough. The small neck helps vs my old DR500 dreadnaught. So much easier to play.

I just found an CE44 on line at a good price. Am picking it up on Friday. A little newer and fancier so will probably end up selling the other two and maybe my Epiphone too. Would the Elites have the small neck? Ether way I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2022-07-19 11:33 AM (#557515 - in reply to #557514)
Subject: Re: Questions on Ovation necks and models

There are basically 2 official necks on Ovation steel string guitars, standard nut width and wide nut width. But that is just a nut width spec. Some models had rounder profiles, others more V shaped. The 6778LX I owned had a nice slim feeling V shape. I'm not sure you can really pin it down very accurately though. Most Ovations I have played have similar feeling necks, which is a thicker and rounder than that 6778LX, with a few models having a fairly beefy feel. Also, similar model numbers might be pretty different, so a 6778AX might be quite different than a 6778LX.

The first thing I would suggest is be sure the setup is really good. If the nut is too high (a really common problem), the truss rod too lose, and/or the saddle too high it will make it hard to play.

You could try extra-light strings or the Silk and Steel strings. Certainly that is the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

You might really like one of the Parlor models which they made in the late 1990's. They sound really good despite the smaller body, not at all deficient compared to my mid or even deep bowl Ovations. The neck, though, is quite slim compared to any other Ovation. I love playing mine, and it may end up going to one of my grandchildren to learn on because of the slimmer neck and smaller body.

The 1997 Collector's edition is what I have, and unfortunately it is not in the same price range as the Celebrity models. Here is a link to a 5741 that previously sold on Reverb about 5 years ago. https://reverb.com/item/6929561-ovation-parlor-5741-9-sunburst-made-... That price looks quite low by today's standards, probably would be about twice that. The 5741 is the essentially the same guitar as the '97 Collectors Edition.

The 5741 currently on Reverb I would not buy sight unseen or at that price, given the "Reconditioned" label and the seller doesn't seem to know anything about it. Factory Reconditioned means a factory 2nd which was sold with a minor defect, and thus should be priced lower. They were made for just 2 or 3 years in the late 1990's. That black case is the correct case.

cumberlandjames
Posted 2022-07-28 8:47 AM (#557543 - in reply to #557514)
Subject: Re: Questions on Ovation necks and models

Thanks, bought the CE44P-TGE. Really like it. Very much the same as the CS24 in feel and neck size. Action is very good. Owner sys he dropped it by 1 shim. Has D'addrio strings on it which I may swap out for my favorite Gibsons. I find them a little sharp sounding rather than the rich warm sound of the Gibson strings I've gotten use to. .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)