The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Why don't pros play Ovations and Adamas?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Artist
Posted 2009-05-12 5:24 PM (#415930)
Subject: Why don't pros play Ovations and Adamas?

Why don't more pros play Ovations and Adamas?

Al Di, Melissa E., Kaki, .....................sometimes Glen, ???

While there used to be that most touring acts had at least 1 Ovation being played on stage, TV, award shows, etc. now many pros play Taylor, Collings, Bourgies, or other buitique builders.

Why don't more pros play newer Ovations and Adamas like the Custom Legends, Adamas collectors, reissues, etc?

:cool:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Losov
Posted 2009-05-12 5:54 PM (#415931 - in reply to #415930)
Subject: Re: Why don't pros play Ovations and Adamas?

Who cares? If it works for you . . .
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-05-12 5:55 PM (#415932 - in reply to #415930)

Ovation ain't the only one with good preamps nowadays...

And they still got those annoying round backs!
If they would just make them square like Taks, Taylors and Collings, they'd be alright. :rolleyes:
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-05-12 6:07 PM (#415933 - in reply to #415930)

Simple. Ovation used to be the only plugged in game in town, so people had no choice but to put up with the pastic bowl back. But today is different. There's numerous plugged in choices and given what's available far less people are going to choose for the plastic bowl back. Ovation would increase their marketshare overnight if they would just get rid of the plastic bowl and build a wooden guitar.
Darkbar
Posted 2009-05-12 6:12 PM (#415934 - in reply to #415930)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Simple. Ovation used to be the only plugged in game in town, so people had no choice but to put up with the pastic bowl back. But today is different. There's numerous plugged in choices and given what's available far less people are going to choose for the plastic bowl back. Ovation would increase their marketshare overnight if they would just get rid of the plastic bowl and build a wooden guitar.
Has Ovation ever test marketed an all-wooden acoustic guitar?
PEZ
Posted 2009-05-12 6:18 PM (#415935 - in reply to #415930)

Yes the Viper acoustic
Beal
Posted 2009-05-12 6:19 PM (#415936 - in reply to #415930)

no
PEZ
Posted 2009-05-12 6:29 PM (#415937 - in reply to #415930)

The rounded back is the trademark image of Ovation. I suppose the countout bowl was an attempt to address the issue.
Personally I don't care deep conture in feel
or the sound.

An Ovation Neck Bridge top and electronics on an all wood body would likily be killer guitar.
alpep
Posted 2009-05-12 7:36 PM (#415938 - in reply to #415930)

I play an adamas out at least twice a week.

I get all kinds of looks and snickers

then they hear it
PEZ
Posted 2009-05-12 8:15 PM (#415939 - in reply to #415930)

One of the problems with Adamas is few people know what it is. Never seen one.
I went to pick out a guitar strap for the W598 at Guitar Center.
I brought the guitar because its hard to match up the Greenish/Blueish woven top.

While I was checking the clerk asked if I bought the Ovation there. I told him it was Adamas and don't have them in the store. Why don't you try it.
The expression on his face was he started to play was priceless as he said HOOLLYY SSSSs.......WOW!
Mike1970
Posted 2009-05-12 8:42 PM (#415940 - in reply to #415930)

The draw for me to Ovation was the unique design and the willingness of a person to go beyond the norm. If Ovation went to a all wooden design then they would just be..............well, like every other guitar.

I hope they stay the way they are. I like the round lyracord back and the unique looks of this guitar! To any designer at "O"............don't change a darn thing!
Guitarzannie
Posted 2009-05-12 9:02 PM (#415941 - in reply to #415930)

Originally posted by Mike1970:
The draw for me to Ovation was the unique design and the willingness of a person to go beyond the norm. If Ovation went to a all wooden design then they would just be..............well, like every other guitar.

I hope they stay the way they are. I like the round lyracord back and the unique looks of this guitar! To any designer at "O"............don't change a darn thing!
+1

I don't own one (yet), but I've long appreciated their unique look.

Michelle
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-05-12 9:15 PM (#415942 - in reply to #415930)

Annie, here's your Ovation. A braced (you can see it in the pics), late 70's to early 80's Legend. Classic look, great sound. And dirt cheap. You can't go wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ovation-Legend-1617-A-E-Guitar-AAA_W0QQitemZ320369125271QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a977ce797&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10| 39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Slipkid
Posted 2009-05-12 10:17 PM (#415943 - in reply to #415930)

Today on The Babe Winkelman's Good Fishing Show we have a special guest. You might think that the desert around Phoenix Arizona could never produce one of the best fisherman on the planet, but you'd be dead wrong.
Dave Witko... women want him... fish fear him.
Dave has been blessed with an uncanny ability to throw out that one bait that nothing can resist. Let's see what he is up to today.
Dave... where are ya buddy??
Thanks Babe... thanks for having me on your show. I'm out on Big Bowl Lake anchored up under the bridge and today I'm going to let your viewers in on one of my best secrets.
Folks... when you are picking a lure the trick is not to pick one that you believe in. Doesn't seem logical I know, but that's the secret. It don't matter if YOU beleive in the lure or not. All that matters is that the FISH beleives in it. You get that right and you'll get the reaction you want every time. Let me show you what I'm talking about.

Whiiiip....zzzzzzing...... plop.

Ovation would increase their marketshare overnight if they would just get rid of the plastic bowl and build a wooden guitar.
There we go.
Lets just sit here sipping on some sun tea and wait a minute two.
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-05-12 10:36 PM (#415944 - in reply to #415930)

Because all the young hip artists (that used to play Ovations) have turned old and conventional and now play what all the other old conventional people play, unless they are really wild and crazy and play a wooden box with an offset soundhole.

There are plenty of artists playing Ovations ... it's just that most of us around here aren't listening to young hip artists, we're listening to the old conventional artist who now play old conventional guitars.

Go here and scroll through the pages. Ovation Artists . I know, you don't know very many of these people. But my folks had no idea who Steve Marriott, or Dave Mason, or Eric Clapton, or John McLaughlin, or Jim Messina, etc, etc were. The people they all listened to played conventional guitars.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-05-12 10:44 PM (#415945 - in reply to #415930)

You know, that's about the best explanation I've heard.

Sometimes I think Bobbo's brilliant. Sometimes not.....
Artist
Posted 2009-05-12 11:06 PM (#415946 - in reply to #415930)

I'll tell you.

Anytime I see my favorite artists in person, or on magazines, TV, web, news, etc, I always wish they were playing an Ovation.

I travel often to Nashville, LA, New York, Miami, and play on many recording sessions and other productions, and many of my friends talk about the Ovation good old days, when it was the best ax for the job.

What happened?

And I can say that many still use them!
lanaki
Posted 2009-05-12 11:10 PM (#415947 - in reply to #415930)

most of the professionals here in hawaii use ovation/adamas guitars and ukuleles. not all, but most.

...of course, life is a bit slower here.
Artist
Posted 2009-05-12 11:15 PM (#415948 - in reply to #415930)

RANDY, GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!

HOW ARE YA!

;)
marenostrum
Posted 2009-05-13 12:52 AM (#415949 - in reply to #415930)

Originally posted by Mike1970:

+2 ;)
PEZ
Posted 2009-05-13 5:12 AM (#415950 - in reply to #415930)

There really is no reason you can't have the roundbacks and wood bodies.
Other companys have made fiberplass bodies.
Yamaha GTX and Fender made a strat looking acoustic with a fiberglass body.

Given there no deep non-cut aways made now with wood tops you be be going after those currently not buying Ovation. If you arched the back still somewhat rounded back. It might even really cut into Taylors marketshare. If your really honest about it Taylor added features like a pinless bridges tough finishes modern glues and more playable necks. Basically it gave
similure features to Ovation without the rounded fiberglass back. You either love rounded back or hate the rounded back. People love the bright clear tone of the fiberglass body, Some people think a little thin.

There are are enough unique features to Ovations like the necks bridges assembly and pickups, sound holes, bracing, preamps that wood body unquely Ovation take on a traditional guitar.

It would not take a whole lot of money to try a wood Ovation as a proto type. You already have the machine tools to make wood sides and backs because of Guild. Many of the other parts would nos parts or current parts.
Use a set in K-bar neck. A bracing & LX BRACING I'm sure it would sound a lot different. Worst that happens you you lose a few grand on the expirement. I am sure here would it buy the proto types if it doesn't work out.

If it does work out a rising tide lifts all.

I think it worth the expirement.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-05-13 5:39 AM (#415951 - in reply to #415930)

I think that we have trodden this path before...

Adamii, Ovations, Ultras, Matrices, Celebrity's, Academy's, Applauses...
They have round fiberglass backs.
That is what makes them what they are.

If you want a wooden guitar, go buy one.
If you are concerned about Kaman's market-share, they have Takamine.
And now Guild, Tacoma, and who knows what else.

That boils down to that statement, "I like Ovations, if only they didn't have that round back!"

If they did not have the round back, they would not be Ovations.
When someone copies an Ovation, they refer to it as 'Ovation-style' bowl, sound-holes, bridge, whatever.

If you copy a Les Paul, you refer to it as a Les Paul style body, pups, whatever...
Same with a Strat, Gibson 335, or any other Style of guitar.

If you think that your Ovation would have been better with a wooden bowl, you coulda got a Tak.

I have always been intrigued by the roundback since I saw my first one in the 70's...
I don't feel a need to apologize for the Ovation shortcomings... Cuz I don't see that it has any.
Alot of people do not like the bowl... I just laugh.
"You don't have to like it, this is not Your guitar!" :p
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-05-13 5:47 AM (#415952 - in reply to #415930)

Wait a minute Serge, you're a professional and you play one or two don't you? :D
PEZ
Posted 2009-05-13 6:33 AM (#415953 - in reply to #415930)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
Because all the young hip artists (that used to play Ovations) have turned old and conventional and now play what all the other old conventional people play, unless they are really wild and crazy and play a wooden box with an offset soundhole.

There are plenty of artists playing Ovations ... it's just that most of us around here aren't listening to young hip artists, we're listening to the old conventional artist who now play old conventional guitars.

Go here and scroll through the pages. Ovation Artists . I know, you don't know very many of these people. But my folks had no idea who Steve Marriott, or Dave Mason, or Eric Clapton, or John McLaughlin, or Jim Messina, etc, etc were. The people they all listened to played conventional guitars.
As you look through that list overwhelmingly the acts on that list are primarily NOT acoustic players. Most are acts primarily electric players
or singers who sometimes play an acoustic guitar.
Most people are not big drawers.
I read Pollstar
http://www.pollstar.com/
I know who drawing audiences.
Slipknot & Shakira are biggest draws on the list.
Its niche marketed into a corner.
I don't see too many alt rock, folk rock, country
and acoustic rock players. Thus the problem.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-05-13 7:02 AM (#415954 - in reply to #415930)

Originally posted by PEZ:
...Most people are not big drawers.
I read Pollstar
http://www.pollstar.com/
I know who drawing audiences.
Slipknot & Shakira are biggest draws on the list.
But I don't LIKE Slipknot or Shakira... I don't care what size drawers they wear. :p
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)