The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
C2078AX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

jbbrow00
Posted 2011-11-10 8:27 PM (#607)
Subject: C2078AX

I am wondering why there seems to be such an aversion to the new Ovations. Assuming the same materials, shouldn't the quality be similar? Most of the products now coming out of Korea are excellent quality. If this is the future of Ovation, unless there is qualitative or other knocks against it, what is wrong with the new Ovations?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nikon4004
Posted 2011-11-11 2:30 PM (#608 - in reply to #607)
Subject: Re: C2078AX

Most members are guitar snobs! lol.

I have a Celeb Dlx and it is as well built and finished as anything else I've seen.
Damon67
Posted 2011-11-11 4:34 PM (#609 - in reply to #607)

I have a C2078LX 6 and 12 string. I'd love to try one head to head. I do know the construction is not the same. The new ones do not have the LX neck for one. I'm not sure about bracing or grades of spruce used. Electronics are identical, so they should sound similar plugged in.

Welcome, and feel free to post about the site.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2011-11-11 6:11 PM (#610 - in reply to #607)

The USA guitars have a different neck construction, and a neck-to-body design identical to the one Taylor came up with some years ago. This makes for a more stable neck, and a quick and inexpensive neck reset if needed in the future.

These features take a lot of CNC equipment and a higher skill level / more time on the part of the people making the guitars. All this reflects the use of the latest available technology and raises the price of the guitar.

The imports have taken several steps backwards from these new methods. No graphite in the neck. No millions of dollars in CNC equipment to make the neck-to-body joint. Lower skill level required to do all this. It lowers the cost of building the guitar. The trade-off is... if you ever need a neck adjustment, it isn't possible. The joint is put in a jig and epoxied together.

This might be easier to grasp if you think about a traditional all-wood guitar. Let's say a neck reset costs $500 dollars. If I have a Martin D-28 that's 15 years old and needs a reset, I can justify the expense since it's a $2,500 guitar. If I have a Martin D-1 that needs a reset, it's not worth the $500 to fix it. But maybe I don't complain too much since I only paid $900 for the guitar.

Each of us has to decide what is important to us in a guitar. By nature, most of us on this site love Ovations, and we want them to be guitars we can be proud to have. So we naturally lean toward US-made Ovations because they are constructed in a superior method. We have also had a lot of personal contact throughout the years with the people in New Hartford who have taken great pride in their work. We have no personal connection with whoever is making the imports, and they make lesser guitars by design. In this economy, a lower price point is needed for Fender to sell guitars in sufficient quantities to keep the brand alive. I understand fully. Maybe I can't afford to spend $500 more on a USA Ovation; but I still would rather have one : )

John.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-11-11 8:10 PM (#611 - in reply to #607)

Originally posted by jbbrow00:
I am wondering why there seems to be such an aversion to the new Ovations. Assuming the same materials, shouldn't the quality be similar? Most of the products now coming out of Korea are excellent quality. If this is the future of Ovation, unless there is qualitative or other knocks against it, what is wrong with the new Ovations?
Can you Heat that? .......... Listen......That's the sound of Charlie, spinning in his grave.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-11-11 8:10 PM (#612 - in reply to #607)

Originally posted by jbbrow00:
Can you hear that? .......... Ssshhh, listen .....That's the sound of Charlie, spinning in his grave.
Beal
Posted 2011-11-11 9:20 PM (#613 - in reply to #607)

It's the rotor blades turning......
mbedard
Posted 2011-11-14 2:50 PM (#614 - in reply to #607)

Great reply bauerhillboy!

Here's my 2 cents. I bought my first USA Ovation (Elite 6768) 18 years ago and traveled all around the country with it, abused the hell out of it and generally did not maintain it well for years. The guitar has not once needed any repairs or extensive servicing other than a standard setup. To this day people tell me it sounds and looks great. And it still plays as nice as the day I bought it. I don't know if I could say the same if it wasn't a USA model.

Also, my wife bought me an Ovation iDea last XMas. To be fair it is made in China I believe, not Korea. And although it plays nice and is fun to mess around with, the quality and durability of that guitar versus a USA model is not even comparable.

Just saying...
jbbrow00
Posted 2011-11-14 3:54 PM (#615 - in reply to #607)

I appreciate everyone weighing in and I believe that for the money the US made pieces are probably superior. As I only plan on playing it around the house and occasionally at church I believe a $1000 guitar is sufficient.
I do have a friend who is a professional guitarist and I am going to have him put it through its paces and see what he thinks. He has played virtually every kind of axe and is into jazz which I think is some of the most difficult time signatures, chords and fingering.
I will let you know!
peace, JB
mrdoopey
Posted 2011-11-22 5:50 PM (#616 - in reply to #607)

I couldn't tell ya the difference between the sound of an AX and an LX, but since I too play around the house, and this is my first six-string acoustic-electric, I am very pleased with my 2078ax.

Indeed thanks for the insight bauerhillboy. I will have to baby mine!
stepchildusmc
Posted 2011-11-25 8:40 PM (#617 - in reply to #607)

i like the 2078ax. i have an lx also. the quality diffence is immense! doesn't mean that the ax is bad, its just that the lx is an upgrade.
stepchildusmc
Posted 2011-11-27 6:04 PM (#618 - in reply to #607)

hmm... i would still pick an asian O over an american washburn( says the 2 taylor guy)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)