The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New member PLUS Ovation Breadwinner truss rod question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Gavin Lloyd Wilson
Posted 2011-10-18 3:17 PM (#710)
Subject: New member PLUS Ovation Breadwinner truss rod question

Hi guys,

I actually used to be a member several years ago but lost my details and have since changed email addresses so can't get my old details re-sent to me.

Anyway, I'm Gavin Wilson, guitar enthusiast and the guy behind Guitarz, the World's longest running guitar blog at http://guitarz.blogspot.com/

One of my favourite ever guitar designs is the now legendary Ovation Breadwinner. I own a black example from 1976, I believe, but alas this has recently suffered a problem in that the neck has bent backwards so that the guitar is unplayable.

I took in to be repaired by some local guy and dropped in on him today to see if he'd done it. He says that he doesn't have the right tool and that the Ovation trussrod does not take an allen key as is usual for most other guitars.

Do any of you fellow Breadwinner/Ovation solidbody owners know if it should have come wtih a dedicated tool for trussrod adjustments? I bought my Breadwinner 2nd hand some years ago from Germany and I didn't even get the case to go with it, so I reckon if there was such a tool, it is long gone.

If there is dedicated tool for the trussrod adjustment, would someone be able to describe it for me, or - even better - show me some close-up photo(s) so I can look out for something similar?

Thanks in advance!

GLW
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-10-18 5:06 PM (#711 - in reply to #710)
Subject: Re: New member PLUS Ovation Breadwinner truss rod question

1/4" socket should work just fine and I'm questioning the integrity of someone working on it that couldn't figure that out.
Gavin Lloyd Wilson
Posted 2011-10-18 5:40 PM (#712 - in reply to #710)

I think he was just thrown by it being something that could be tweaked using an Allen key.
AussieJames
Posted 2011-10-22 7:52 AM (#713 - in reply to #710)

I'm with Miles......If he can't work that out I wouldn't let him near a guitar of mine

AJ
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-10-28 7:10 AM (#714 - in reply to #710)

apart from that basic schoolboy error, the other issue is that the BW has a standard single-action neck rod, so if the neck has a back bow a rod adjustment will not fix it. Any good repair guy should know that.
Auriemma
Posted 2011-10-28 7:47 AM (#715 - in reply to #710)

Welcome to the asylum Gavin.

When it comes to Ovation and Adamas, these folks know there stuff. The only better place is the Mothership in CT.

That being said, the critisism given of your tech may sound harsh, but keep in mind, the main concern is health and well being of your Breadwinner.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)