The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New (old) Ovation purchase!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

davoroups
Posted 2011-10-09 9:42 PM (#742)
Subject: New (old) Ovation purchase!

Hi there guys,

I arrive here in a rather unusual way, that is, I was fortunate enough to stumble on a stunning Viper on ebay that, unknown to me, Mike (Mwoody) had refinished many years ago. That day I was going through the posts here gobbling up all the interesting info on these axes and there all of a sudden was a huge pic of M's old Viper.
Amazed, I compared it to the ebay pic and Lo and Behold..same colour, same wood grain patterns, yup It's the same one! I joined the forum so I could write to Mike and ask him about it, he wrote a friendly and interesting account of the guitar so I am a bit thrilled about finding it and doubly so having found the guy who made it such a unique instrument. Sorry this is a very long post, I'm an old forum hand so this will be the last one this length. :)
Here's my reply to Woody.
cheers
David

Thanks Mike, fantastic news. I quite agree, the Koa guard looks stunning with the mahogany, the knobs look great, and the truss cover by the look of it, super work, well done. Like you I am a huge wood fan, love working with the stuff, I have mended quite a few of my collection, major jobs so far have been to fix a neck clean break (Washburn H24 shredder), inner bracework on an old Aria Pro2, smashed bottom end and back (acoustic), body rebuild on a severely danged tele and numerous less testing tasks.
Apart from playing guitars there are few things I enjoy more than tinkering with the toys.
I noticed the lustre of the Viper straight away and yes, I think you probably did strip and tung the back of the neck, it looks simply glorious, even from the crappy seller pics on ebay!

I am seriously tempted by the GTX Miles has for sale on the forum, not to mention the Applause, I'll have to sell a few more of mine first, I find ebay very slow these days.
My ebay name is cerisesant , have sold hundreds of my guitars over the years and am proud of the impeccable feedback record, if both parties are not completely happy with a transaction then I regard that as a failure.

I'm sure when the Viper arrives down here in Oz (yep, another one!) I'll have some more to say about it, am very excited to get a chance to play one of these fabled guitars, especially an enhanced and unique one. Do you remember what year it is? I guess the serial will tell me once I see it.
cheers Mike and thanks for the interesting mail
David

PS: I think I'll post this onto the forum as a way of introducing myself to the guys,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2011-10-11 1:06 AM (#743 - in reply to #742)
Subject: Re: New (old) Ovation purchase!

And the Planet just keeps shrinking every day!

Welcome Dave!
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-10-11 8:51 AM (#744 - in reply to #742)

Welcome Dave. Good to have another Aussie on board. Whereabouts are you located? There are a number of other Australians here and we have a local (internet) gathering on the sister site.

Pop in and join us Downunder
Waskel
Posted 2011-10-11 10:17 AM (#745 - in reply to #742)

This club is getting bottom heavy.
Patch
Posted 2011-10-11 10:53 AM (#746 - in reply to #742)

That's because it's middle-aged...
davoroups
Posted 2011-10-14 9:44 PM (#747 - in reply to #742)

I'm in Byron Bay. There are many musicians in this area.
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-10-14 11:55 PM (#748 - in reply to #742)

Dave, keep an eye out for Oz gatherings. AJ and Andrew are in Brisbane and Muzz is on the Sunshine Coast. AJ has an amazing collection of solid body Ovations and the best collection of Ovation acoustics in Australia. And they're all nice guys.
davoroups
Posted 2011-10-14 11:59 PM (#749 - in reply to #742)

Thanks T, do I join the Down under club or am I automatically a member through this site?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)