The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
restrung celeb sounds bad

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

gamenutt
Posted 2003-12-27 11:21 AM (#198931)
Subject: restrung celeb sounds bad

I just restrung my ovation celeb for the first time. And I did it with light guage martins. And the once loved tone is gone. And now it has a kind of a tinny high sound when picked. But right now I dont even want to play it because of this horrible sound how can I get the old sound back. would buying the d'addario's that ovation says they use fix my problem or should I move to a medium guage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-27 11:36 AM (#198932 - in reply to #198931)
Subject: Re: restrung celeb sounds bad

Strings are a real subjective subject. People here use everything from Elixirs to D'Addario's to Adamas to ad nausium.

If memory serves, Ovation sends out their guitars with D'Addario lights. Try them first, but don't be afraid to experiment. You may find something eventually that you like better.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-27 11:57 AM (#198933 - in reply to #198931)

How long were the old strings on the guitar before you changed them? Maybe you've just gotten used to and prefer the duller sound of played-in strings as opposed to the "zing" of brand-new strings. If that's the case coated strings such as Elixir or D'addario EXP's may be the answer, as they sound played-in right out of the pack.
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-27 2:02 PM (#198934 - in reply to #198931)

He said it's his 1st string change. Why not go back to the originals? Ovation homepage lists strings for their guitars, I think.
Steve
Posted 2003-12-27 2:46 PM (#198935 - in reply to #198931)

Considering today's technology and research, it seems entirely reasonable to me that each individual acoustic guitar has a specific 'window of resonation' which can be precisely measured, allowing for the use of the ideal guitar string for that particular instrument; perhaps there is an acoustic lab somewhere that specializes in that service; I know I have used 'cheap' strings that sounded great, and 'great' strings that sounded cheap; Antonio Stradivari made guitars as well, so perhaps he discovered something we've missed...
gamenutt
Posted 2003-12-27 3:45 PM (#198936 - in reply to #198931)

yea see the guitar was purchased not to long ago but it was the display model and I could see small dents from the frets on the strings. And thought that it be best to change all the string. Which is why I might have gotten used to the played in sound. And ovation lists the strings used on the guitar as D'Addario EXP16 (.012-.053) Phosphor Bronze strings. So I will go grab a pack of those and see if I get my old sound back. Thanks for the replies
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-27 5:55 PM (#198937 - in reply to #198931)

Steve, there are way too many variables for what you suggest. Guitars change constantly, albeit slowly & subtley as they age & response further changes as the strings wear out. Then there's playing style & technique, the biggest influence on the tone of a guitar is the touch of the individual player. Then there's personal taste. If there was such a thing as an "ideal string" there would be no guarantee that everyone would actually like the tone.
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-27 6:17 PM (#198938 - in reply to #198931)

I agree. Only experimentation will get you where you want to be. The first experiment failed. Try another.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-28 1:46 AM (#198939 - in reply to #198931)

gamenutt

I am going to assume that you are referring to the acoustic sound of your Celeb and put in my country/bluegrass dos centavos that most acoustics sound best with medium phosphor bronze or heavier, lights or light medium are going to be wimpy sounding as they can't drive the top. Electrically, or amplified, it might be a different story, but the Ovation should be set up for both acoustic and electric. I suggest nothing less than medium.

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-28 5:50 AM (#198940 - in reply to #198931)

Bailey, String guage is not just a tonal issue, it also significantly affects playing feel. While there may be a slight tonal benefit to mediums their extra tension means that unless you exclusively play first position chords or Bluegrass-style flatpicked lead then some players, especially novices or those used to electric guitar guages will struggle. It's pretty difficult to bend a .017guage second string up a tone, and without a perfect set-up meduims can make it a pain to play full or partial barre chords in the higher positions. I personally like the sound of mediums, but my playing dictates that I need to use standard light guage, except on my slide guitars or standard guitars which are down-tuned. So while you may recommend "nothing less than mediums" I would say you are being a bluegrass facist ;) A standard 12-52 set is pefectly capable of driving the vast majority of guitar tops. Personal preference & playing style dictate string guage, not a beleif that heaviest is best. Another issue is that many lightly-built guitars just do not like medium guage strings. In the 70's and early '80's Martin were stamping "not to be used with medium guage" inside some of their guitars (M-36/38 and some of the smaller sizes)
gamenutt
Posted 2003-12-28 10:05 AM (#198941 - in reply to #198931)

yea I also like the sound of mediums but being ive only played for 2 and a half years and that time being only electric. Then I doubt ill have an easy time playing mediums or heavier. Right now my fender strat set up with .09 guage d'addarios which I got used to. But being used to that small of a guage woulnt help me play an acoustic with heavy strings. I think its best to go for the d'addario exp .12 gauge just because I liked the tone I had before and thats what ovations are shipped with.
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-28 3:52 PM (#198942 - in reply to #198931)

You say a display model was sold to you that had fret dents! That takes many, many hours of play, not just hanging on the wall! What does everyone else think?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-28 4:07 PM (#198943 - in reply to #198931)

I agree on the fret dents. Many hours of playing with an appearent death-grip on the neck.
gamenutt
Posted 2003-12-28 8:33 PM (#198944 - in reply to #198931)

yea not sure because wasnt normal fret dents like it had looked like they reused some old strings on it. They were only on 2 of the strings and on those string the dents werent on the very bottom of the string but slightly to the side if that makes sense. Which is why I thought I should just change out the whole set now.
Bradley
Posted 2003-12-28 8:52 PM (#198945 - in reply to #198931)

Has anyone stated the obvious yet? Play it for a few days before judging the strings. To me, new phosphor bronze string always sound high at first. I just play through it for a few days until the string dull up a bit. Then they tend to sound the same for a few weeks depending on the type of string, and then they go dead.

Bradley
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-29 1:48 AM (#198946 - in reply to #198931)

Paul T.

From what I've seen and heard of Celebritys they seem to be built rather solidly and not as flexible as a vintage spruce topped acoustic. Also I noticed that the fret marks were on the strings not on the frets, that's not too unusual on a new guitar. I suggested mediums as he stated lights were tinny sounding. Does anybody here have any insight into the type of top on this Celebrity? That might be good info for us all to know as relates to string gauge etc..

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-29 4:08 AM (#198947 - in reply to #198931)

All Celebs have laminated tops.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-30 1:58 AM (#198948 - in reply to #198931)

Thanks Paul

This cheap ass bluegrass player who has played many of those laminated guitars, suggests that mediums will work great and the guitar will be good for many, many jam and friendly get togethers, you will die before it does.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)