The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Greets: New Guy, waiting for CC29 to arrive.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

flyingstarts
Posted 2011-09-08 12:22 AM (#851)
Subject: Greets: New Guy, waiting for CC29 to arrive.

Nice place you have here. A friend's Ovation (wish I knew the model) was the first guitar I had ever played back in 1982. Had to wipe some blood off now and then from enthusiasm.

For my living I'm a flight instructor, and thus far it hasn't earned me a very high budget for a guitar. I've mostly had used Takamines over the years. Now since my Martinesque Tak is getting very tired, I've decided to get back to that first love: I just ordered a new CC29S-4C.

First I got jilted yesterday on eBay, bidding on a used S771- I had won with the only bid, but the seller didn't deliver. I prefer guitars without bling, and the simplicity of the balladeer special really appealed to me. All the Ovation model numbers and names have been bewildering for me, as a newbie search of a simple and full-sounding guitar primarily for unplugged and amateur use.

Playing in guitar stores makes me a little bit uncomfortable, although I don't mind playing and singing in public. I can quietly look around in a used car lot- but checking out guitars is hard to do for someone who has anoyance or insecurity or something about retail sales pressure. With any luck, I'll have a nice guitar without having suffered a test.

I've only managed to find one CC29 review online so far. I hope it isn't as muddy sounding as described there. I've mostly had dreadnoughts, which I have beaten up somewhat playing outdoors, in bars, without good care and setup, etc.

So I'm looking for some nicer sounds, along with a little durability- without the price or guilt in abusing a Martin or Taylor. The contour body on a new guitar with a small price tag really appealed. So I decided on the closest thing to a blingless S771 that is available new and under $450.

Based solely on the review I've linked, I'm curious what might be the best strings to bring out the high tones brightly unplugged. Leaning toward light (or ultra-light) elixer phosphor nanos but open to suggestion.

I've enjoyed looking around here, and I look forward to picking some brains about setup and playing too, when the guitar arrives. I'm a flight instructor by trade. My flying friends say that I'm a great guitar player. My guitar friends all say I'm a great pilot. Blog friends, well, some say I ramble on. Thanks, Cheers!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-09-08 12:59 AM (#852 - in reply to #851)
Subject: Re: Greets: New Guy, waiting for CC29 to arrive.

Congratulations. That is the Contour Celebrity.

I look forward to your review when you get it.

As to strings... It should have new strings on there when you get it.
The strings that it comes with are usually D'Addario EJ-16's, which are "Light"
flyingstarts
Posted 2011-09-08 9:09 AM (#853 - in reply to #851)

The contour body is what compelled me to choose the cc29 (my first new guitar). I'll be happy to post a review here.

Thanks Old Man Arthur, for that information about the usual factory strings. Here's hoping the reviewer above ("deepness overwhelms the mids and the highs") isn't describing something endemic to the CC29. We'll see, when the brownshirts next pull up to my curb...

I searched the threads here regarding USB microphones. It's a deep the knowledge base here, so I'm still reading all the pertinent threads.

I'll post a link to some audio when I've set something up- any suggestions for a mic welcomed. Worst case, I'll just record from my iPhone- but maybe I can do better than that without spending more than, say $100.
flyingstarts
Posted 2011-09-08 9:39 AM (#854 - in reply to #851)

G-track looks interesting. I don't have a guitar amp right now. This mic seems capable of providing some fun to share plugged and unplugged. Anyone here tried it?
flyingstarts
Posted 2011-09-08 11:15 PM (#855 - in reply to #851)

G-track now purchased and on the way too. Now I'm thinking about capos. I hav a couple of Keysers around but I'm wondering if they have enough spring pressure for the shallower Ovation neck. Could do without the side-loading too, especially with the light strings I imagine I'll need. So, I'm thinking out loud here about the Planet Waves dual-action .

Also thinking about how one gets sprung out of quarantine here at OFC- so I can post in more pertinent threads. I'm not a troll, spammer, pedophile, or war-criminal. I've never been kicked off a forum, nor fired as a moderator. I had a 3.5 GPA in school, was honorably discharged from the Navy, and might have got a litle crazy but never got caught smoking dope or drink driving. I once smashed an Epiphone in anger. There: I said it. My life's an open book, can I post beyond this thread yet?
flyingstarts
Posted 2011-09-08 11:16 PM (#856 - in reply to #851)

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'm very patient.

AstroDan
Posted 2011-09-12 5:30 PM (#857 - in reply to #851)

I have an old (1984) 1617-4 that has a very thin neck and a Keyser capo works great. No problem with OMA's EJ-16's. Have you looked into (potentially) a good used Ovation. Something like the 1617 are great guitars that I have no compunction whatsoever in recommending to others. They are well worth the $350-$450 they fetch.

Can't go wrong with an older USA made Ovation!
Welcome back to O-land...
Dan

BTW, a mod will be along sooner or later. :)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-09-12 7:01 PM (#858 - in reply to #851)

Good advice Dan... But I believe that he has already bought the Celebrity.

Let the hook get set, we'll reel him in Later.

:cool: We will help you spend your money. :cool:
flyingstarts
Posted 2011-09-12 11:13 PM (#859 - in reply to #851)

Thanks, yes my Celebrity CC29 should arrive in a day or two. I managed to get it for $227.50 (refurb on eBay).

Old Man Arthur: "We will help you spend your money."

Already I've been spending way too much time daydreaming of the next Ovation. I couldn't help ordering a few gadgets for this Contour Celebrity. Today, a Planet Waves Dual-Action capo arrived, which allows adjusting pressure and quick repositioning. Looks and works nice- can't wait to see how it fits the Ovation neck.

Also received today a Samson G-track mic - So, I hope to post a link here soon with a sample of what it sounds like (at least in my unpracticed hands) soon.

Before the CC29, I was hoping for an S771 (Balladeer Special) - but the seller flaked out.

I'm partial to (ahem) big naturals. No offense, but the really blingy not-from-Texas (that's right) fanciness of certain Higher-end Ovations sorta puts me off- probably just because my playing isn't yet good enough to draw attention to myself with a flamboyantly flashy fiddle.

I have no doubt that there is a Made-in-USA Elite or even Adamas in my future, as my fortune and playing abilities improve.

Ovation model numbers are still so confusing to me. Local guitar friends are very polarized (and several not so knowledgeable) about Ovations. The welcome, and the welcome advice here are much appreciated.
AstroDan
Posted 2011-09-13 11:09 AM (#860 - in reply to #851)

Originally posted by flyingstarts:
Ovation model numbers are still so confusing to me.
This might help you Crack the code.
OMA, you would know about setting the hook. Look at my sig line! :)
marenostrum
Posted 2011-09-13 12:13 PM (#861 - in reply to #851)

Flying, congrats on your new guitar ! I think will sound fantastic with the arrangement cedar top / contour bowl. Although I thought this model should have been X braced instead of having quintad brace as indicated on auction specs....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)