The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
At last my 1st Ovation but some ?`s

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-04-08 4:29 PM (#223149)
Subject: At last my 1st Ovation but some ?`s

Got my Milennium at last today :D
But not impressed much :( by 1st impressions.
Guitar has been hanging in a shop for 1 1/2 years (new), action was way too high about 1/8 inch plus, so i removed a bakelite type material shim from under the saddle, i left the wedge shaped platic strip in there, is that ok?
Action is lower now, but slight buzz at higher fretted barr chords when played a bit strongly, the bow in the neck seems about right, i know if i straighten that close to flat, ill have to put the shim back in.
Any idea what gauge strings are fitted to Ovations as stock when new? The sound is a bit flat as these strings are 1 1/2 old, ill change them soon, to get a better tone out of the guitar.
The gauge fitted seems about right for me.
Ive played it tonite for a few hours and its now starting to growing on me, im hearing the tones and sustains comming out, the nice bassy sound, its getting better, but need Bloody new srings NOW! Nearest decent strings shops are 100 plus miles away :rolleyes:
Mmm nice plugged in tho, even on my Marshall valve amp, its not an acoustic one neither.
BTW as Phaseshift said, this Guitar looks wicked in the flesh! The finger board inlays are a work of art, i just seem to be watching them as i play.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-08 6:17 PM (#223150 - in reply to #223149)
Subject: Re: At last my 1st Ovation but some ?`s

I don't think you should expect any guitar, especially one that's been a wall-hanger for over a year, to be set-up to personal taste straight off the peg. They were twats for not putting a decent set of strings on before shipping it though. It always amazes me that dealers will leave knackered strings on high-ticket guitars and wonder why nobody wants to buy them. Once your Millenium has some new strings & a decent set-up it'll be fine

Paul

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-08 10:15 PM (#223151 - in reply to #223149)

Paul, you are absolutely right. I've played many high end Ovations in music stores with bad strings, and wonder, if they want to sell them, why they don't keep clean strings on them. Oh well.
Paul
alpep
Posted 2002-04-09 7:11 AM (#223152 - in reply to #223149)

I am a relatively small time vendor. I find it hard to amazing that everyone complains about string on the guitars I sell. What one person considers new strings are old to another. When you have say 100 guitars for sale. it is highly unlikely that you are going to change strings every week to keep them "fresh" for the time you my go into the store and want to try it.
If you go into a guitar center sam ash or mars on a saturday afternoon you will see parents dropping their kids off there and the activity is literally play and beat on as much equipment as possible. If you like out of tune Korn riffs and other stuff a saturday visit is a must.
The employees don't care they get minimum plus commission and the guitars do not belong to them. Plus there seems to be this open policy that you can try anything you want when ever you want and not have even a nickle to pay for it.
When I do vintage guitar shows I have to fight from smacking some of these ignorant kids when they try to grab a 2K guitar off the rack and bang on it. When I ask if they need help or are interested in buying the guitar they act like I wanted to rape their dog then their mother. The point is they have no respect for a vintage piece of gear or a new item and grew up in an age where you can scratch nick and dent something and put it back up on the stand and walk away no responsibility. or you can buy it use it for a gig or recording and take it back up to 30 days later and say oops I don;t like this any moe give me all my money back.
sorry for the long rant it is not easy being a vendor and I usually throw a set of strings in the pick pouch.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-04-09 8:29 AM (#223153 - in reply to #223149)

I do believe that I've been properly chastised. I still don't like dead strings on good guitars in music stores, but it may be a reality of life.

I stand corrected. As I say about my work "I do what I can, not necessarily what I should".
musicamex
Posted 2002-04-09 9:09 AM (#223154 - in reply to #223149)

i think that the old style ozzie and harriet shopping days are gone. most people have decided getting the best price is more important than service and perks. vendors are often up against: "can that smile and keep your free strings mack they have the same guitar at musicians friend for $86 less!!!". now if you go to a shop in beverly hills and plunk down the platinum card, i'll bet you get "free" strings, setup, a strap and a glass of chilled white wine while they wipe the last finger prints off your new adamas. if we want the best price i guess we just have to take a number and get in line.

how is the quality and overall condition of your new axe gary? are the inlays what you expected? it sounds like a new set of strings and a basic setup will have you smiling. by the way ozzie and harriet were the ideal american family tv sitcom of the late 50s and early 60s. don't think you got that in the uk.

al, sounds like you're getting reved up for that guitar show. i'll bet the majority of shoppers there are tire kickers looking to play. must be tough keeping track of all of those hands.
alpep
Posted 2002-04-09 10:46 AM (#223155 - in reply to #223149)

Sorry if I came off as an ogre I really am not. but the lack of respect shown to instruments in stores is directly related to the way the super stores do business or dare I say don't do business. I have no retail outlet there would be blood on my hands....I prefer to deal with guitar shows mailorder and intenet sales as I have for almost 20 years and do things the best I know how.

I have little patience for bozo's or people that keep calling me "dude" even when I ask them to stop. The guitars and products I have to sell are mine. I paid for them and if you scratch or dent them it comes out of my pocket and not
"the coporation" or "big business". I try to treat everyone fairly like I would like to be treated. I does not always work there are some folks out there that hate me and think I am the worst being that walked the planet. AS Miles so eloquently pointed out to me this segment of the population makes up for less than 1 % of my customers. It still bothers ME.

As for the show. The lovely and talented Suzipep will be there as usual to act as a buffer between me and the "grunge momkies" as I tend to call them....sometimes she will just look at me and come over because "she knows" other times I could be found quietly playing guitar in the corner while Sue or Miles deal with a particularly difficult customer. I am blessed to have Sue as a wife and Miles and others as good friends.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-04-09 10:56 AM (#223156 - in reply to #223149)

Al, I take your point about tyre-kickers & saturday afternoon window-shoppers, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a fresh set of strings when trying to evaluate an instrument costing hundreds or possibly thousands of pounds/dollars. Corroded strings not only have poor tone but aslo intonate badly. It is impossible to make an objective decision about a quality guitar in that condition. It's like buying a Ferrari with bald tyres. Obviously when buying mail order or on the net it's a different matter. I've bought from several dealers in the US & Europe who have shipped guitars to me with old strings, but included a couple of fresh packs in the case.

Paul
alpep
Posted 2002-04-09 11:23 AM (#223157 - in reply to #223149)

Paul

I understand and agree with you. Unfortunately at a guitar show or even some stores the conditions to really try an acoustic guitar are not the best. Believe me if you were to buy a guitar and were serious I would put a new set of strings on a guitar (and Have) to make a sale. My only point is that it is unreasonable to expect every guitar to have a new set of strings and be set up to your particluar specs at all times.

think about it you buy a used car and you tell the sales man that the tires on the ferrari are not the best he says no problem when you pick it up I will put a new set of tires on it. If you walk into a store and make them restring 6 guitars for you to try and walk out you will probably not get good service the next time you are there. I understand what you are saying I just do not find it pratical.
samova
Posted 2002-04-09 1:38 PM (#223158 - in reply to #223149)

Al, i read your above posts..You are really on the warpath today "Dude"..........LOL

I agree Al,no way you can keep fresh strings on that many guitars...
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-04-09 2:01 PM (#223159 - in reply to #223149)

I hear what Al says and i agree, its just that i expected that with a high end model been collecting dust for 1 1/2 years, that a new set of strings would be fitted before it went out,or at least a set chucked in the box, in fact the box was empty except for the guitar itself, NO paper work, ie Certificate, no pre-amp manual etc.
When a customer buys off me and spends well, i always throw some "Goodies" in, keeps `em happy, shows them im not out to milk em dry, plus good words passed on, go a hell of a way longer than any advert in a mag or on a web site.
I look at it as not throwing away profit, just mearly securing future sales.

BTW Mex, the finger board inlays in my eyes are work of art!Its a well put together guitar, and the CVT top looks great, only prob is it shows up greasy paw marks easily.
Im getting to like it now, with a lower action, new strings will give it a little extra :D
My Taiwanese or whatever, Crafter big O copy, is sounding like a wet fart in a tin can, strange, it sounded really good a cuople of days ago :confused:
Beal
Posted 2002-04-09 4:18 PM (#223160 - in reply to #223149)

Gary
The factory set up is with lites, at least it ised to be, 12-53 set.
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-04-09 5:55 PM (#223161 - in reply to #223149)

Thanks CWK, they are the gauge ive ordered.
Ive got a 015 on the 1st E for now, as the original one was sooo bad, (i found a spare plain string knocking around), my fingers are hurting a bit atm ;)
phaseshift
Posted 2002-04-10 10:35 AM (#223162 - in reply to #223149)

Welcome to the Millennium club, Gary!!! I'm sure once the setup is right for you, all will be well. I will say that when I bought mine, I went to the store in person (although it was 250 miles away). I tried to purchase a fresh set of strings, but they insisted on not charging me for them. Who was I to argue? They were Martin strings. I have ordered (thru ebay) and received four sets of Adamas strings for future changes.

Its a shame the manuals weren't there. Would it be stepping on Ovation's toes if we were to create online versions of manuals for various models, and post them in the reference section?

And Gary, is the tuner working right for you? I'm finding mine works sometimes, but not others. A bit frustrating.
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2002-04-10 4:47 PM (#223163 - in reply to #223149)

Phase, the tuner is a little bit too clever for its own good.
It seems to work on a timer or summat, if you aint tuned all your strings or a single string in a certain time it switches off and you have to press the button again.i think it assumes all players can tune up in 10 seconds flat :rolleyes:
I reckon they have used a simple micro chip in the circuitry somewhere, i have similar probs with a particular motorcycle ignition system with micro chip sensor fitted.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)