The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Newbie with 12 String Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

ohiopicker
Posted 2011-09-01 10:17 PM (#879)
Subject: Newbie with 12 String Question

I am "back in the fold" after about six years without an Ovation, and am glad to have found all of you!

Today I took delivery of a CC245HB 12 string. Here are my concerns: While there may or may not be shims under the saddle, there is barely enough space to place a business card between the bottom of the bass strings and the top of the bridge. Is this normal? It would seem there should be more space for adjustment. There is about .o10 or .oo8 relief at the eighth fret. Is this correct? Should there be less? I don't really hear any buzzing up to about the 12th fret, but want to know if this sounds like an appropriate set up from the factory. Add to this the fact that I have not played a 12 string in several years, which makes me less sure about keeping the instrument. I am tuning it a half step down for now and it seems to sound o.k.

Any thoughts from those of you with Ovation 12 string experience? Thank you for anything you can offer as to what I could or should do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2011-09-06 4:26 PM (#880 - in reply to #879)
Subject: Re: Newbie with 12 String Question

Hi Ohio,

I don't know much about the overseas models, but someone might know over in the main "General" section. Try posting your question over there.
noah
Posted 2011-09-06 5:51 PM (#881 - in reply to #879)

Hi Ohio,
What you describe at the bridge does not seem right. Is there a belly in the top? On every Ovation I've seen, lowering the saddle so much diminished the break angle of the strings, thus decreasing the pressure they exerted on the top and negatively effecting the sound.
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-09-06 9:32 PM (#882 - in reply to #879)

I don't think the Asian Ovations have the same quality of setup (among other things) that the USA Ovations do. I had a CC245 and with no shims, the action was too high. The truss rod seemed almost immovable and I was too scared to try harder. I sold it and got a (much) better one. Now I'm a happy camper.
ohiopicker
Posted 2011-09-14 7:22 PM (#883 - in reply to #879)

Thanks to all who replied. After additional review, I was convinced that the neck angle and bridge were both off. After driving out to an ovation dealer to discuss repair, and finding an empty store front, I returned the guitar to the retailer.

The good news is that I have a used Balladeer 12 string on the way to me, and I am excited to see if American quality surpasses that of the Chinese!
standing
Posted 2011-09-14 9:16 PM (#884 - in reply to #879)

If it is in decent shape, the used Balladeer is a better choice anyway, you made a good decision. (IMHO)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)