The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Looking for Ovation Viper guitar info

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Mickeyroons
Posted 2011-08-30 9:21 PM (#896)
Subject: Looking for Ovation Viper guitar info

It may be a long story, but my father worked for Kaman ever since I can remember. He also played guitar in a family band. He purchased an Ovation Viper and I have been told it was one of the first off the line. He passed away several years ago and I now have his guitar. I don't play, but have been told I should not take it out since it may be very expensive. I have been looking around at different models, but this one has a picture of a bird on it that I have not seen on any others. Any help would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2011-08-30 9:56 PM (#897 - in reply to #896)
Subject: Re: Looking for Ovation Viper guitar info

Welcome Mickey!

Please post some pictures if you would??
standing
Posted 2011-08-30 11:22 PM (#898 - in reply to #896)

Is it a blue guitar?
stephent28
Posted 2011-08-31 12:10 AM (#899 - in reply to #896)

Maybe a bluebird model which would raise the collectors value a bit

but if you are hoping that it is worth 3-5K you will be disappointed I believe.
AussieJames
Posted 2011-08-31 7:30 AM (#900 - in reply to #896)

Welcome
Does it happen to look like the one on the right?

AJ
Mickeyroons
Posted 2011-09-12 1:12 PM (#901 - in reply to #896)

It does look like the guitar on the right, but it is not blue, I would say its a beige color.
Mickeyroons
Posted 2011-09-12 1:13 PM (#902 - in reply to #896)

Also it has no signature on it
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-09-12 1:46 PM (#903 - in reply to #896)

Best to post a picture. You can post it on the net and just link to it here. Or you can email it to me and I'll post it. mileskb at aol.com
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-09-12 3:14 PM (#904 - in reply to #896)

It is a Bluebird the color ages funny on these for some reason. One of the rarest Vipers, very cool.

moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-09-12 3:29 PM (#905 - in reply to #896)

The Bluebirds were originally built for Glen Campbell, with (I don't know the exact number) 3 or 6 of the 6 strings built, and the same number of 12 strings built. That's all old info.

What's interesting is to see guitars like this one pop up that aren't really blue and don't have the Deacon neck. A brown one (12 string) appeared about 5 years ago and is now with a member in Mexico.

And now this one. Wonder how many other variations of the guitar are out there?

Here's a UKII in a color I've never seen before...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ovation-USA-UK2-Vintage-Early-80s-Electric-...
Mickeyroons
Posted 2011-09-12 3:48 PM (#906 - in reply to #896)

Thanks for the info! The hardest part is since I don't play, it sits in my closet. Part of me wants to hold on to it because it was my Dad's, but part of me wants it to be enjoyed. Is there something I should do to help preserve it? Someone told me not to even take it out for the temperature and humidity changes will ruin it.

Thanks again.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-09-12 4:28 PM (#907 - in reply to #896)

Start taking guitar lessons and play it. Best tribute to your dad that you could make.....
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-09-12 4:50 PM (#908 - in reply to #896)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
The Bluebirds were originally built for Glen Campbell, with (I don't know the exact number) 3 or 6 of the 6 strings built, and the same number of 12 strings built. That's all old info.

What's interesting is to see guitars like this one pop up that aren't really blue and don't have the Deacon neck. A brown one (12 string) appeared about 5 years ago and is now with a member in Mexico.

And now this one. Wonder how many other variations of the guitar are out there?

Here's a UKII in a color I've never seen before...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ovation-USA-UK2-Vintage-Early-80s-Electric-...
That "Kaman" guy in Florida (re the ad) liked him some red metalflake :)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-09-12 4:59 PM (#909 - in reply to #896)

Originally posted by Mickeyroons:
Is there something I should do to help preserve it? Someone told me not to even take it out for the temperature and humidity changes will ruin it.

Thanks again.
Well than... "someone" is.. well.. nevermind..

Most ANY guitar SHOULD be played as keeping it locked up it will not get to the humidity and moisture it needs to not dry up an crack and fall apart.

As far as this one... the only "wood" is the neck, and Ovation made some of the best. Again, playing it will actually keep it healthier. The body is Urelite... essentially Foam over an Aluminum core. Well I'm assuming Urelite based on the paintjob, but I guess they could have painted any Viper that color.

I did not notice it has a regular Viper neck. That's cool as well.

If you get a chance, could you weigh the guitar and post the weight. That may tell us if it's wood or Urelite. I'm guessing it's Urelite.
standing
Posted 2011-09-12 9:05 PM (#910 - in reply to #896)

This has been mentioned several times lately… what's the difference between the "regular" Viper neck and the Deacon neck? Which neck is on Mickeyroons' guitar?

Interesting that it has the "bluebird" on it if it wasn't originally a "bluebird blue," have any of the other Bluebirds changed color that much, and that evenly? Old Foam does yellow and eventually turns reddish-brown over time. My UKII has an edge chip all the way down to the foam, and the small amount of foam that is showing through is a brownish color now.

Mickeyroons; it does appear that you have a unique guitar, but, as someone above mentioned, a rare collectible Ovation electric guitar would not come close to the value of a rare Gibson or Fender. You could probably sell it here if you wanted to, but I agree with others above, get a small inexpensive amp and a guitar chord, put fresh strings on it and take a shot at learning how to play. That would keep you closer to your father than a little bit of cash. There are a lot of ways to get started playing; private lessons, DVD lessons, books; online instruction videos, etc.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and thanks for sharing this unique guitar with us, we love this stuff!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-09-12 9:58 PM (#911 - in reply to #896)

There are basically two necks that came in a few styles. One was a 24.75" scale and the other 25.5" scale. Fretboards were all ebony or maple. Necks were either one-piece maple or 2-piece Mahogany. Dot inlay fretboards were unbound. Necks with block or diamond (or bowties on the early UKII) inlays were bound.

The Viper came with the dot inlays, unbound 25.5" scale neck. The Bluebird had the 24.75" neck bound. The later was essentially the "fancier" neck.

The Bluebirds will turn an almost brown-ish color over time, but I believe there were a couple of "brownbirds" made as well.

The one above looks like a bluebird that has turned color. It has something to do with the paint content and exposure to sunlight. Someone else may have more specifics on that.

FWIW, the necks are interchangeable. Although different scales, there is enough adjustment in the bridge to adjust intonation for either scale.
Waskel
Posted 2011-09-13 9:06 AM (#912 - in reply to #896)

Originally posted by standing:
I agree with others above, get a small inexpensive amp and a guitar chord, put fresh strings on it and take a shot at learning how to play.
Heck, with just 1 chord you can play 1/3 of the songs Moody knows...

Keep it and play it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-09-13 9:15 AM (#913 - in reply to #896)

Originally posted by Waskel:
Originally posted by standing:
I agree with others above, get a small inexpensive amp and a guitar chord, put fresh strings on it and take a shot at learning how to play.
Heck, with just 1 chord you can play 1/3 of the songs Moody knows...

Keep it and play it.
That would only be one song. But the Wabbit is right. Keep it and play it....
Mickeyroons
Posted 2012-06-07 12:19 PM (#455340 - in reply to #896)

Its been some time now and I must admit, I will never learn to play. But I do want someone to enjoy this. Aside from "it's worth what someone will pay for it", anyone know the range it may be worth?

Thanks
MWoody
Posted 2012-06-07 4:55 PM (#455346 - in reply to #896)

Throw it on Ebay with a lot of good pictures.

Set your reserve where you are comfortable and start the auction at $1.

Make sure the auction ends on a Sunday evening.

Then you can see what people are willing to pay.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-06-07 7:27 PM (#455350 - in reply to #896)

This is gonna be tough. I think MWoody has the best idea. About 6 of these guitars were made and yours looks all original. They initially were custom made for Glen Campbell and a few extra's for parts and experimenting. Keep in mind this really isn't a Viper, it's a Bluebird. While the same shape as the Viper, it's not made of wood. It's made of the same material and process as the UKII with Preacher pickups, although yours seems to have a Viper neck.

As for value, it's really going to depend on the buyer in this case more than most. I didn't want you to get the feeling you are being brushed off or given a canned answer for the sake of it. If one like myself who is a Viper fan, than this is the same shape and lighter but I would HAVE to put Viper pickups in it to play it. If you are a Glen Campbell fan, this could easily be the holy grail of guitars to add to your GC collection. To the average player, it's a unique Ovation solid-body that for whatever reason, even after making the "Viper" mold for the machine that injects the foam..... they didn't make any more than they needed to fill the custom order and have some extra's. (There were about six 12-String versions as well). I don't normally do this, but I'd guess the range is between $300 and $5000 (or more) depending on who is looking at it and how badly they want it. I would also guess in many years from now when Glen is no longer with us.... well... who knows. That doesn't mean you'd sell it for $5000 if you listed it... but then again... you might. There really is no way of knowing without testing the waters, maybe a couple of times like MWoody suggests

Good luck.
MWoody
Posted 2012-06-07 10:01 PM (#455356 - in reply to #896)

Honestly, with a really well set up Ebay Auction you could set your reserve at $2500 and it would cost about $20 to run if it didn't sell.
I'd do it for you but I'm about 3000 miles away.

So I'll just give you $301.00 for it...

Nice guitar.
You might want to get a little more history from a few others and document the instrument.
Mickeyroons
Posted 2012-06-08 6:16 AM (#455362 - in reply to #896)

Thanks for the responses. I think Ebay it is.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)