The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 123456
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Roll-Call S.E. Gathering

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

cholloway
Posted 2006-10-14 9:00 PM (#242406 - in reply to #242306)
Subject: Re: Roll-Call S.E. Gathering

One more for now.
During the JAM SESSION. I hate that samova had to leave before this started.

L to R: Popcritic (on electronic drums), Capt_Lovehandles (singin' and pickin' his heart out) and Philmax accompanying (with his back to me). It's hard to get a great pic when everyone is just jammin'!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
cholloway
Posted 2006-10-14 9:26 PM (#242407 - in reply to #242306)

A hearty THANK YOU to Phil and his family for hosting this event and allowing us to come together to appreciate these fine instruments.
We missed you TWA!
God I wished I could play halfway decently
One more for now. An overhead shot.

samova
Posted 2006-10-14 9:30 PM (#242408 - in reply to #242306)

I want to thank Phil,Amy and his 4 children for being such gracious hosts this afternoon.I only wish my baseball team's scheduled game had not taken me away so early..I was fortunate enough though to meet everyone and play some great guitars..The early slotheads(45,57) were winners of course and Popcritic showed up with 4 of Kaki's personal guitars.That was a great suprise! It was good to see the tuxedo deacon again and finally got to checked out and play the wood roundback.Phil's 1537 was a very nice sounding guitar as well.I gotta tell ya ,there were only 5 of the OFC members but 16 very impressive instruments.Im sure Phil will post a bunch more pics and discribe each guitar in detail.There was also a strange wood roundbowl instrument there?Any one know what it is?Check out the pics?
TWA
Posted 2006-10-14 9:34 PM (#242409 - in reply to #242306)

I will definitely make the next gathering. This work schedule I'm on this month only happens every three years.
cholloway
Posted 2006-10-14 10:02 PM (#242410 - in reply to #242306)

The "strange wood roundbowl" Sam refers to is on the far right. I can pronounce it, but I'm sure I would get the spelling wrong. The "WRB" ?? is on the left. A very impressive piece of work itself!

BTW... the rest of my pics are in my album now. Go to cholloway then S.E. Gathering I. I hope y'all enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!
alpep
Posted 2006-10-14 10:21 PM (#242411 - in reply to #242306)

very nice. looks like a good time had by all

was sam's wooden "adamas" there?
I would love to know how that sounded
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-10-14 10:31 PM (#242412 - in reply to #242306)

The wooden bowl instrument looks like a bazuki.
samova
Posted 2006-10-14 10:40 PM (#242413 - in reply to #242306)

Jeff,good job.It is a bouzouki.With a round wood bowl.Brought it along to keep the roundback theme going.
Al, the wood adamas was there ,its in the pics in the front row on the left.I have my opinion about it but i will let the others who played it review the sound of the guitar.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-10-14 11:17 PM (#242414 - in reply to #242306)

Impressive showing.

What's the deal on the Black Breadwinner. This is the 2nd gloss?? I have seen, and it has a white?? pickguard. I'm assuming a re-finish, but it looks real nice. Also looks like it has the new bridge style on it. Nice job to whomever.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2006-10-14 11:47 PM (#242415 - in reply to #242306)

Miles, that is my NOS Deacon, that Sam had built from his pile of parts in 2001. Not a refinish, a factory gloss body, with an ultra thin neck. It's a dream.

I have a Southeast gathering gallery up now too, but to give you a quick rundown:

cholloway got there first, and reportedly Phil's dog did not like him much. Perhaps she sensed something about him we didn't, but he seemed decent enough at first. Found out later what it was... he doesn't care for Deacons!

As guests arrived, the guitar pile grew to an impressive array. Phil's boys were impressed by the electrics, although they had trouble keeping the names straight - one called called a "pastor". I think I strummed all of them at least once. The "wood Adamas" is a gorgeous guitar and has a nice clean sound. The bouzouki wasn't tuned, but we liked dinking around on it. The WRB got great reviews all around. Kaki's guitars were tuned to who-knows-what, so we retuned a couple.

Samova showed us a collection of rare memorabilia, including two invitations and a program (signed by Josh White) from the 1966 launch for Ovation. Sam had authentic Ovation oak leaf belts, one of which he'd made into a cool strap.

Meanwhile Popcritic was at the table with Phil's family, stuffing his face and telling tall tales. The rest of us joined in to keep him honest, and we ate too so Pop wouldn't look like a pig. We're very thoughtful that way.

We tried to play and sing a few tunes, with Popcritic thumping away on the drums. If you need a drummer real bad, we've got a real bad drummer. (Un)fortunately he had to head to the office to rack up some billable hours.

Before leaving, Sam presented us each with an Ovation belt and pick (in my gallery). What a guy!

We managed to get cholloway to play House of the Rising Sun before he split, around 4pm.

The Cap'n proved a little tougher to get rid of. I jammed and sang with Phil and his wife, and left a little before 7:00, loaded down with a hunk of the six foot sub sandwich and pieces of the guitar cookie.

Please, sou'easterners, do not miss the next gather. You'll be missing a tremendous treat. Much thanks to Phil and Amy and the kids!

Jas

(L-R) Samova, Philmax, cholloway, Popcritic, Captain_Lovehandles
Note that the "wood Adamas" is front left, the WRB front right, and row two is all Kaki King guitars.

philmax
Posted 2006-10-15 12:55 AM (#242416 - in reply to #242306)

What happened? Where did everybody go?

We'll, they at least left one guitar that wasn't already mine! ;)
Jérôme
Posted 2006-10-15 4:22 AM (#242417 - in reply to #242306)

Very nice pics!!

It's good to see your smiles. ;)

J :)
popcritic
Posted 2006-10-15 10:44 AM (#242418 - in reply to #242306)

Big, big thanks to Phil and his family for all the southern hospitality they extended to us. I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't had so much fun since "the hogs ate my little brother!" (That's an old Texas saying that you don't hear much anymore).

I'll have more comments and some pictures up later.

Best to everyone, and a big shout to Miles and Al for 5000+ members...

Dave King
Tupperware
Posted 2006-10-15 10:50 AM (#242419 - in reply to #242306)

Wow, looks like you all had a really good time! Nice collection of guitars. Dave
philmax
Posted 2006-10-15 7:27 PM (#242420 - in reply to #242306)

"Wow" is all I can say! My whole family had a great time. The rich diversity of fantastic Ovation guitars was amazing. It's hard to know where to start! Partial list:

2 original Slothead Adamas
1 custom handmade all wood Adamas
1 baritone Adamas
1 rare classical Adamas cutaway
A bunch of other Adamas, Preacher and a Deacon, a few more wood top guitars, and a Greek bazuki!

The only thing that outshined the stunning array of guitars, was the great people that came out here to the "sticks" and shared their Ovation story. Samova the "O" historian, Popcritics story of "Hometown Girl makes Good", Cptn LoveHandles can really sing! Cool stories about Cholloways Slothead. Thanks for taking lots of pics, Collin! Just the crowning event to an already wonderful vacation. Dave, Collin, Sam, Jas, Thanks for coming out!

Phil

Jeff, I have the WRB!
TRboy
Posted 2006-10-16 9:26 AM (#242421 - in reply to #242306)

WOW, Looks like I missed a great get-together!
Sorry I could't make the trip guys....just had too much to do this weekend to get away. Hope to make the next one!
Beal
Posted 2006-10-16 9:34 AM (#242422 - in reply to #242306)

Nice spread.
philmax
Posted 2006-10-16 10:10 AM (#242423 - in reply to #242306)

There will definitely be another, learned a lot from this one, so the next will be much better!

I highly recommend hosting one, even if you only expect 2or3 guests. Coffee, donuts, and Ovations, that's an event!
popcritic
Posted 2006-10-16 4:38 PM (#242424 - in reply to #242306)

Most of my pics were very similar to the others', but I did like this one of the Cap'n:

http://tinyurl.com/vy8h7

btw, he can play and sing up a storm (but he is right about my bad drumming).

Can't say enough about Samova's "wood Adamas". Fantastic tone and sustain, not to mention the incredible craftsmanship of the luthier. Truly a work of art.

Best to all--

Dave K.
samova
Posted 2006-10-16 10:08 PM (#242425 - in reply to #242306)

Dave,thanks for the kind words about the "wood Adamas".Im very proud of that guitar and cannot wait for it to "open up" the next few years.The potential is great.
I also want to say how impressed i was with Kaki's adamas that she used on the Conan show and also the barritone adamas.They were very,very impressive..

And finally,im not sure if anyone mentioned that Phil put out quite a spread at his house.We ate very well.Walked around the corner into his kitchen and saw shrimp cocktail,two 6 foot subs and hot wings staring me right in the face.It was great.Thanks again Phil...
philmax
Posted 2006-10-17 1:54 AM (#242426 - in reply to #242306)

Thanks for coming guys, around this town if you are more than 25 miles away, you're talking at least an hour drive time. I appreciate the sacrifices you guys made to come out.

For someone like me, the chances to play an Adamas are few and far between, you don't see 'em in stores and the last time I played one was over 20 years ago.(ebay puts them closer but you have to pay to play). To have about 15 in my living room at once and a chance to play them, that is what I call generous. Thanks again, Guys!

The least guitar in the pack had great Ovation tone, from there, they rapidly escalated to the truly exotic. I'm still just shaking my head, man that was fun!
cholloway
Posted 2006-10-18 3:05 AM (#242427 - in reply to #242306)

Nobody ever did answer me... What'r we doin' this weekend??? :D
Tony Calman
Posted 2006-10-18 3:42 AM (#242428 - in reply to #242306)

Coming to San Diego?
philmax
Posted 2006-10-18 8:49 AM (#242429 - in reply to #242306)

your house or mine! :D
philmax
Posted 2006-10-21 8:29 AM (#242430 - in reply to #242306)

Thanks for the pics, Jas! Cool headstock card, too! How do like the new addition?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)