The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Musical Goals

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

FlySig
Posted 2008-08-29 5:29 PM (#23270 - in reply to #23245)
Subject: Re: Musical Goals

Money, women, glamour. It's why I got into aviation, but with how things are going there, hey let's try something else! ;)

My story is probably pretty typical here. Started young, played in various bands from middle school through college. Life got busy, and a little thing with a fiance and another guitarist soured me to the music scene. So for darn near 20 years I pretty much didn't play.

What motivates me these days are 1)Playing in a band with my kids, 2)Performing, 3)Composing, 4)Recording. The roots of my goals seem to be in those things, since that is what grabs my interest.

My general goals would be to improve my repertoire, improve my composition skills, and improve my soloing abilities.

The band is the youth band at church, which only performs each song a couple of times. I've learned a lot of songs over the past two years, but remember only a handful maybe. I'd like to have a solid set of songs.

Having better improvisational skills would be nice, but I need better organization in learning to solo. Lessons maybe?

Learning to purposefully write more interesting songs is also a goal. Songs seem to write themselves, which is all fine and good, but I want to be able to sit down with a random assignment and be able to write something interesting.

The ultimate goal would be to play shows in a "real" band. Not that Radical Grace isn't real - we do some really good stuff IMNSHO, but I would like to be able to play a commercial venue with a band or even solo.

Which is where the women, money, and glamour kick in!

P.S. As an aside, I really want to be supportive of my kids' music. All 3 are solid musicians and enjoy playing. Whatever level interests them, I want to be supportive, whether it is goofing off, performing, or even some kind of career in the music field. So significant goal for me is to be better at whatever is necessary to help them succeed at their goals.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2008-08-29 5:32 PM (#23271 - in reply to #23245)

I'm not so sure about that Lanaki. The tunes on the last cd were pretty good!

Glad everyone's enjoying this topic. I keep thinking about this stuff too. As far as the songwriting I'm alomst always thinking of what would be good in as tune or how to use a phrase or whatever. Life is always going by you and that's where your material is so be observant.
lanaki
Posted 2008-08-29 5:39 PM (#23272 - in reply to #23245)

Originally posted by lanaki:
...so with my attitude, i may never realize my goal of just stumbling upon the magic melody...
then again, my prescription might be just the ticket!

thanks, bill. with all the various music you have been exposed to in life, i appreciate the compliment.
Beal
Posted 2008-08-29 5:43 PM (#23273 - in reply to #23245)

I think so.
I guess to put it in one sentence, writing a good song would be one that you and others want to listen to, over and over again and not get tired of it.
lanaki
Posted 2008-08-29 5:47 PM (#23274 - in reply to #23245)

one where the melody/lyrics get stuck in your head and make you enjoy life a bit more...

like, ummmmm..."jingle bells"...
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-08-29 6:25 PM (#23275 - in reply to #23245)

I`ve been writing songs for years. Had a few recorded by other people, recorded a few myself. Made a little money off some got ripped really bad one time. Right now i just hope to play enough to play the power bill.I`ve written close to 300 songs and like lanaki i would love to make a bunch off a song but getting to a big enough artist to have a hit is a hard thing to do these days.Heck i`ve got songs that have on the shelf at Warner Chappel in Nashville 7 or 8 years.
ozwatto
Posted 2008-08-29 6:37 PM (#23276 - in reply to #23245)

I often have this crazy daydream where a genie appears and gives me three wishes...

No.1 -- Good health and happiness for my family

No.2 -- Every time I think of a guitar, it magically appears

No.3 -- To be able to play anything I want just by thinking about it

It's nice to have dreams no matter how far out they may be. To be realistic though, I'd like to improve my playing in all areas. I can improvise with monotonous pentatonic stuff for hours at a time and it's OK for a little while but I'd like to get away from that (every solo sounds the same).

I want to be able to write memorable songs, musically and lyrically, and not half finish them as I so often do.

I'd also love to see my kids play guitar so we could all jam together. My daughter has flashes of interest (she's 11) while my 13 year old son says he wants to play the drums. So I'm constantly working on him...in a subtle way of course....don't want to push either of them into doing something they don't want to do.

Still playing with my garage band and would like to take that further.

And I still want to be playing when I'm 90.

Great topic Beal. I'm sure I could've taken more time to add my response but I just wrote what came into my head...............now...if I could just do that with my guitar...
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-08-29 6:58 PM (#23277 - in reply to #23245)

My attempt at a career in music was basically a means to avoid gainful employment and little has changed over the years. And as far as that goes I've done OK. As long as I can continue to have people pay me to play, have a comfortable lifestyle, and avoid working for anyone other than myself, then I'm good. Sex and drugs would be the icing on the cake.
First Alternate
Posted 2008-08-29 7:30 PM (#23278 - in reply to #23245)

Given that I have reached the point where I can play anything that interests me, I just want to be able to do that for as long as possible.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-08-29 7:50 PM (#23279 - in reply to #23245)

No big goals in music anymore and I got too many other problems to deal with right now anyway.

Started playing guitar in the late 60s when I was in grade 5 or 6. Played in bands but nothing major; mostly it was just people jamming because we lived in the middle of no place and there was nothing else to do.

Some of my friends have a lot of natural ability and can learn really complex solos note for note w/out much effort. Another writes fairly well and made quite a bit of money from one or two songs but that guy is now driving a bus and the moneys all spent.

Usually I just pick up a guitar and play whatever comes out. I’ve never been big on learning other people’s material as it’s easier to make up my own stuff - same with words. I always used to parody country songs just for a laugh - like “the dog got drunk and died the day that momma went to jail” kinda things but now, even though I have fairly sophisticated preferences for music, I’m drawn to the honest simplicity and common denominators of life that one finds in music from people like Emmylou Harris or Fred Eaglesmith.

Racing has always been a big part of my life and most of my friends are involved in that as well so these days my songs are about busted motors and crooked engine builders which people get a laugh out of.
alpep
Posted 2008-08-29 8:00 PM (#23280 - in reply to #23245)

bobbo nailed it for me

to play the music in my head would be the greatest thing I could achieve
Beal
Posted 2008-08-29 8:06 PM (#23281 - in reply to #23245)

Yeah, I'm with you guys on that.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-08-29 8:07 PM (#23282 - in reply to #23245)

This is a difficult topic for me - when it comes to playing, I've got the same attention disorder that others have. I have a hard time sticking to one thing. I think Ozwatto really nailed it with his list.

I get so much pleasure out of seeing Nicky learn something new and that drives me to be better well. He's constantly asking me to show him things, which forces me to learn them.

Like many of you, I started playing early on and then stopped at some point, only to pick it up again later in life. I figured now that I'm older and wiser, I would be more focused.... NOT! I jump all over the place - finger picking to rhythm to lead guitar - nylon string to steel string to electric guitar. Throw guitar building and restoring in there and it's a real mess.

So back to the question at hand... my number one goal would be to learn how to solo over anything - knowing the right scale to use in any situation and being able to apply it without it sounding forced or "canned".

After that - I need to work on learning and remembering songs... not just snippets here and there... but complete songs.

Beyond that - singing - but that's a whole other story.

Thanks Beal for making me think about this.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-08-29 8:32 PM (#23283 - in reply to #23245)

Getting the music out of your head is another one. It's always going but I could never play it - I suppose some of it gets out from time to time though but no where near enough.

A couple of days ago I woke up in a half dream state with Bizet's Cantando L´amour running through my head and images of a full opera company performing same in a very small restaurant - Kiri Te Kanawa was singing soprano and the kitchen staff were involved as well..lol
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-08-29 8:42 PM (#23284 - in reply to #23245)

I have a voice like a dehydrated frog with laryngitis...
This is a total problem for me since I play Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, Elvis Costello, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues... (I oughta work on Joe Cocker)
Basically stuff that I hear the singing in my head while I play along.
Now, when I play in front of other people, they kinda expect you to Sing!

This is gonna be a problem... Maybe I oughta quit smoking, Huh?
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-08-29 8:46 PM (#23285 - in reply to #23245)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
I have a voice like a dehydrated frog with laryngitis...
My wife says I sound like a gut shot bear.

I played an Emmylou Harris song once and someone asked if Tom Waits wrote that..lol
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-08-29 8:49 PM (#23286 - in reply to #23245)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
what I hear in my head is not too complex.
Maybe not, Bobbo, but for sheer enjoyability, your song is my favotite one on the CD.
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-08-29 8:59 PM (#23287 - in reply to #23245)

Thanks, Bill, for such a thought-provoking thread.

On one level, musically I'm already doing what I'm gifted to do: lead people in worship on Sunday morning, and I find it to be the most musically fulfilling thing I've ever done. That was a goal that took 15 years of preparation before I was truly equipped to do it.

I've dabbled in song writing over the years, but I have finally begun to really tap into the stream of creativity that ran quietly underneath it all, unacknowledged but waiting for the right time. I've just finished one that is the best thing I've ever written; I'm debating singing it at the O-Fest in October.

My goal is to attain to the fullest whatever my potential is in song-writing; I don't care if I ever earn any money, get famous, hit it big--but if I write one thing that encourages someone who's in a difficult place, I will be completely rewarded.

--Karen
lanaki
Posted 2008-08-29 9:10 PM (#23288 - in reply to #23245)

right on, karen. you will.
Beal
Posted 2008-08-29 9:46 PM (#23289 - in reply to #23245)

OK Karen, too late, you got to do that one in October. If not on stage then in a small group.

I'm bringing my book too so not to worry.

And any of the rest of you, bring your originals as well as all the covers.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-08-29 10:18 PM (#23290 - in reply to #23245)

Whooo-hooo! All together now... Beggin Jim, Beggin Jim, with a smile like cherubim...

Okay, with almost 2 months, I can try to write another classic.
Omaha
Posted 2008-08-29 10:23 PM (#23291 - in reply to #23245)

I'm coming out of a rut, you might say.

After all these years, I've pretty much got my thing figured out. I can play all the rock/folk/punk/church chords I'll ever need. I can play all the leads. I've got good, but not otherworldly, finger speed. I can improvise over blues changes effortlessly. Add that all up, and I'm a borderline competent bar band classic rock cover band player.

So, my new project is to learn how to play jazz. Really learn, with all the funky chords and changes and new lead styles. Farging tough, quite frankly. I've been soaking my head with Joe Pass for a few weeks. I'm making progress, but DAMN those guys are on another planet.
Northcountry
Posted 2008-08-29 10:24 PM (#23292 - in reply to #23245)

I have to say Karen's post reminded me of a strange event... for me.... a few weeks ago. I played some music in our Church here in Northville. Wonderful younger woman who is the minister and is extremely intelligent and open minded about many things. She has become friends with my Wife and Kids and has heard me play. She asked me if I would help to cover a service for her as the usual musicians had things to deal with that Sunday. I was unsure what I could play as my music is not "Religious Friendly" for the most part. I thought perhaps Solsbury Hill not exactly a religious message but one of hope and new choices?? She ended up only needing me for greeting music, communion, and closing. I figured some nice picking and toned down instrumentals might work well. I am sure I am not the only guy in the world to have played a Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dave Mathews tune in Church but I just might be...! This was not a goal but I have to say it felt good and was oddly rewarding and it sounded even better in the church. They want me back, looks like I've got another gig on the 7th. Betcha can't guess what Zep tune I came up with.

Omaha good luck on the Jazz, it is the next level for sure. My old partner is getting into this kind of head now as well. It must be fun to just start improvising and playing leads over any sort of chrod pattern and rythem. Enjoy the pursuit! That's half the fun.
Randy
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-08-29 10:33 PM (#23293 - in reply to #23245)

My kids have proven to be a huge boost for me musically: not only are they inspirations for songs but nearly every evening we have Music Time where I pull one (or more) of my guitars out of the case and just play instrumentals: they dance and sing and laugh...and when the song ends they immediatly start clapping and screaming in appreciation...there is not a bigger feeling or a better reception in the world!
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-08-29 10:42 PM (#23294 - in reply to #23245)

Northcountry,

Ya reminded me of this ONE .

Thanx!

I sure do love this thread...
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)