The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
electric strings?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

dougr
Posted 2006-01-07 8:01 PM (#270053)
Subject: electric strings?

hey everybody. has anyone tried electric strings on their acoustic/electric?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Styll
Posted 2006-01-07 10:13 PM (#270054 - in reply to #270053)
Subject: Re: electric strings?

I did when I ran out of strings....I personally didnt feel they fit,,,but they did serve the purpose...

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Buckaroo
Posted 2006-01-07 11:25 PM (#270055 - in reply to #270053)

They'll work in a pinch, but like Styll said, they feel funny. Plugged in is ok, but unpluuged they seem to lack acoustic punch.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-01-08 6:38 AM (#270056 - in reply to #270053)

Maybe the difference between steel and bronze is more than a marketing ploy... :D

One can arguably get away with steel strings on a Viper EA68 or equivalent, but I have heard arguments that a piezo somehow knows the difference. So far, I remain unconvinced, but that isn't really relevant.

Generally, steel strings are designed to respond well for guitars with magnetic pickups. Silk and Steel strings are an obvious exception. The real issue is perhaps not whether a string is steel or bronze, but its construction and intended application, viz., whether for an acoustic guitar or not.
ignimbyte
Posted 2006-01-08 6:54 AM (#270057 - in reply to #270053)

I did once (out of curiosity), and as an attempt to improve the guitar's playability in addition to its low action. Unfortunately, it did not have the strength/tension to give the neck the needed "pull" that it ended with fret buzzes everywhere -- even with simple chords in the first three frets. Since then, I just kept things "as is" -- let electric strings cater to just electric guitars and acoustic strings with acoustics.

There are times when I would go to the music shop to purchase individual strings, as opposed to the entire set. I noticed that there are some strings that claim to work for both acoustics and electrics. I simply avoid them, but for those who do purchase them, do they actually work for both? :confused:
philboyd studge
Posted 2006-01-08 8:24 AM (#270058 - in reply to #270053)

For those that can't decide DR makes a string called 'Zebra' that is alternate windings of bronze and nickel. They're used mostly by archtop players who want a little more acoustic punch when not plugged in.
Styll
Posted 2006-01-08 1:16 PM (#270059 - in reply to #270053)

I had found that they were too slinky for an acoustic...

It was one of those nights where by some odd reason I broke 3 high e's ... I only had an electric pack left so i used the e...

I found it did not stay in tune well and really had no elasticity on the acoustic...but i was able to squeak through the rest of the show.

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2006-01-09 5:17 PM (#270060 - in reply to #270053)

I have used the DR Zebras on guitars that are electric/acoustic with both magnetic and piezo pickups but have a semi-hollow body (Hamer Duotone, Fender HMT Tele, to name two). I understand the principle, but didn't find they were an improvement over a straight steel set. The guitars just weren't designed to be played as an acoustic so the bronze wrap didn't add anything I could notice and weren't as good when using the mag pickups. Anybody else with experience with these?
stonebobbo
Posted 2006-01-09 11:17 PM (#270061 - in reply to #270053)

I use the DR Zebras on my EA68 Viper. I like the slinkyness of electric strings on this guitar, and the bronze windings seem to give a better tone though the piezo. All in all, the Zebra work better on the Viper than either pure electric or pure acoustic strings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)