The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Plant a seed

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2006Message format

luthier444
Posted 2006-01-07 2:59 PM (#270079)
Subject: Plant a seed

What would you all like ovation to do?? I always wondered what Ideas ovation players had.. The company has unlimited resources as far as equipment and obviously my Idea was a wooden roundback but I doubt anyone will spend 15000$ on one..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-07 3:30 PM (#270080 - in reply to #270079)
Subject: Re: Plant a seed

12 fret cutaway, OM size slothead, non center hole, pure acoustic Adamas. Contour Bowl. Sound holes trimmed with small rosette (ala Kaki King's}

1-3/4 nut. 25-1/4 scale length

-Ovation model with red spruce top.
Standingovation
Posted 2006-01-07 3:34 PM (#270081 - in reply to #270079)

Get rid of the bowl. Apply all of Ovations great craftmanship to building a wooden box guitar. It would be an instant competitor to Martin and Taylor. Dave
stephent28
Posted 2006-01-07 3:39 PM (#270082 - in reply to #270079)

Adamas Slothead 12 string, 12 fret cutaway, 000 size , pure acoustic.
stephent28
Posted 2006-01-07 3:42 PM (#270083 - in reply to #270079)

Adamas 6 and 12 string long neck baritone.
Jeff W.
Posted 2006-01-07 3:52 PM (#270084 - in reply to #270079)

All wood version would be cool too...
bauerhillboy
Posted 2006-01-07 4:37 PM (#270085 - in reply to #270079)

I have to admit...I secretly love some of the all-wood guitars I see out there, but I have too much loyalty to Ovation to buy anything else.
samova
Posted 2006-01-07 4:45 PM (#270086 - in reply to #270079)

An all wooden ovation,now thats an idea!! Yea, i like that one!

Capo Guy
Posted 2006-01-07 4:52 PM (#270087 - in reply to #270079)

Stick with the bowl. :)

Why don't they offer the new countour bowl on all models? :confused:

I'd like to see OO or OOO size, countour bowl,OP PRO pre-amp, 12 fret, Slothead, 1 3/4" neck,
AND make it available in Sunburst finish. :cool: :cool:

Not asking too much am I? :D
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2006-01-07 5:07 PM (#270088 - in reply to #270079)

Careful with the contour bowl, it's not for everyone and everything. I own a 2005 Collectors, and there is music that I prefer to play on my 1771LX.

I'd like to see a 14-fret slothead in the Balladeer LX range as an option, both 6- and 12-string. 12-fretters have too "short" a neck for me.

Actually, I'd just like to see "Traditional" series Ovations in shops. I've never seen one, and I live in a large metro area, with several dealers.

Roger
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-01-07 5:41 PM (#270089 - in reply to #270079)

12 fret slothead (like the one on my 1773LX), cutaway, contoured bowl. A few weeks ago I would have gone for a multi hole top, but with my 1773 and my FD-14, I realize that a center hole guitar would be great as well.
Weaser P
Posted 2006-01-07 5:54 PM (#270090 - in reply to #270079)

(Note to everyone outside of Moody - it's going to be months before he wipes that Christmas smile off his face!)
Standingovation
Posted 2006-01-07 6:23 PM (#270091 - in reply to #270079)

How about this one

Did the factory make this for Django Porter?
cliff
Posted 2006-01-07 6:49 PM (#270092 - in reply to #270079)

Why do people insist on putting their NAMES on guitar tops/fingerboards?? . . . it just looks so "schvagg".
I recently saw a pic of StephenStills playing a Martin with his name emblazoned on the fingerboard in big script . . . made me lose a lot of respect for him . . .

Other than that, that's a NICE lookin' guitar!!
fugot
Posted 2006-01-07 7:03 PM (#270093 - in reply to #270079)

adamas 2080 in 12 string

u681t/1680 in 12 string with newest preamp or acoustic only
edzep
Posted 2006-01-07 7:14 PM (#270094 - in reply to #270079)

Cliff, maybe the guitar was given to him by a loved one, and he sorta has to use it occasionally.
samova
Posted 2006-01-07 7:36 PM (#270095 - in reply to #270079)

Dave, all kidding aside it would actually be a wondeful idea if ovation decided to compete in the wood guitar market..Its been pretty obvious to me that artist who used to use ovations are now showing up on stage with wood boxes.Nancy and Ann wilson are two that come to mind quickly.Not many former ovation endorsee's using ovations any more exept the ones who need to play drums on the graphite top while playing guitar like Kaki King and Preston Reed..I personally feel that Ovations fiberglass/plastic bowls are just not in at this time..I know my opinion may not be popular or make some happy here but IMO roundback guitars are out and wood guitars are in..So, why not Ovation become a competitor in the wood guitar market.Introduce a line with wood backs and still have the traditional roundback ovations as well..Hell ,even rainsong has a model with mahogany back.They started thinking "outside the box" why cant ovation ?
A couple of years ago i along with others here were hoping Ovation would start reissueing the old adamas models and guitars like the Josh White,Glen campbell,etc..Now im not so sure i was right or feel this was the best thing to do.I see these models in stores and they just dont do anything for me.I hoped for this just like the rest of you now i feel i was wrong .I know the reissues are mostly anniversary models but i want these reissues to be sold and to never be heard from again.I want Ovation to move forward and be innovative again,not turning back the clock.The "Q" project that never took off has shown that Ovation has fallen behind in the technology they invented.They are not even a player in the all carbon guitar market.It belongs to emerald,Rainsong and CA guitars now.How can this be ?I cant believe Ovation still has not entered this market.
Well,im sure this will ster up some conversation but thats a good thing. As most of you already know im building a all wood adamas style guitar and i obviously think it would be a great model for ovation to introduce..I would hope ovation would consider it.I have offered Ovation to look the guitar over when its completed and analize it.Its basically a prototype they didnt have to spend a nickel on.Just look at it and see what you think?

Luthier Brian Hendley of Hendley guitars with the guitar we are "sorta" copying

texbaz
Posted 2006-01-07 8:05 PM (#270096 - in reply to #270079)

Boy,oh boy, that Django Porter is good lookin!
Standingovation
Posted 2006-01-07 8:07 PM (#270097 - in reply to #270079)

Sam, I agree with you 100% freaking percent. The roundback guitar has run its course. Ovation can still on occasion come up with a great sounding new instrument, such as the Folklore Deluxe and the U681. But as something that would revolutionize the industry and cause the other guys to change THEIR designs, the roundback didn't do it and it's never going to do it. Wooden box guitars are the default standard and are here to stay. What troubles me is that Ovation has SUCH great craftsmen and talent in house that I just KNOW they could come up with some worthy competitors to Martin and Ovation, both in terms of real performance, and perhaps even more importantly, in the court of general guitar buying public opinion. But they seem restricted from going outside the lines. I had a conversation with an employee from the factory last year and he said there was even significant objection to making the contour bowl ("don't fuck with our bowl"). If Ovation really wants to be a respected top-shelf player, then they have to have the freedom to remove the shackles. Except for us die-hards (and I'm softening fast), the world isn't looking for the next plastic bowl with figleaf holes guitar. I say, BRING ON THE BOX. Come on factory, put on your best gloves and really duke it out once and for all with Martin and Taylor. Dave
cruster
Posted 2006-01-07 8:33 PM (#270098 - in reply to #270079)

I wouldn't buy one.
Slipkid
Posted 2006-01-07 8:41 PM (#270099 - in reply to #270079)

Have you lost....your minds???
Should Ford start making Chevys?
Should Coke make Pepsi??
I can appreciate a nice Martin or Taylor but I don't think Ovation needs to conform to the times. Lead yes....but not conform.
Couple things....
Who would make them....and where? The Mothership looks rather filled.
Think of the type of "told ya so" signal it would sent to the wood box purists.
They already have a success to some degree with Takamine.
This has to be one the strangest topics I have ever read here. Well...except for the llama stuff.
And that french maid thing.
Designzilla
Posted 2006-01-07 8:59 PM (#270100 - in reply to #270079)

Whether Ovations have fallen out of fashion or not, I think Ovation building a wood guitar is just not being true to the original intention and ideas. Maybe it would be nice to see Ovation innovate more but sometime sticking to what you're good at works best in the marketplace. The people who hate Ovations probably aren't going to like a wood box from Ovation any better.

Just my opinion, and you know what opinions are like, and they all stink!
samova
Posted 2006-01-07 9:24 PM (#270101 - in reply to #270079)

Dave, you said something very importand.Ovation has not changed or revolutionized the guitar industry.Wood guitars are still the standard.In fact Ovaytion has lost its way in the market they created and invented.While CA ,Rainsong and Emerald guiatars are pioneering the all graphite guitar market,a market that i feel will be very important in the next 10-20 years( with the depletion and restriction on certain woods).So come on Ovation dont just give us a new exotic wood top every year and call it a good year..Start thinking outside the box.
I also want to say that i find it interesting that many complain about Ovation not getting the respect they deserve and i walk into music stores and see ovations with florescent orange and purple colors and flames on them.Kinda hard to take a company serious with that crap hanging on the wall.Hell, why not put a clown nose on the bridge and mickey mouse ears on each shoulder while your at it.
Standingovation
Posted 2006-01-07 9:30 PM (#270102 - in reply to #270079)

Brad, You missed my point. The question was "what would you like to see Ovation build". Imagine for a moment how frustrating it might be for the engineers at Ovation when year after year they are told that they have to come up with the best possible new product and the requirements are a) it must sound great, b) it must sell well, c) it must be profitable and d) oh yeah it has to have a plastic bowl for a back. It's just my stupid opinion, but isn't it possible that JUST MAYBE if they could take off the blinders and compete with Martin and Taylor on an equal footing that they might just suceed? I would not worry one bit about "told ya so" from the woodies. Imagine what a signal it would send the industry if Ovation came out and said - screw the space age shit, we can use the same natural materials as the other guys and blow their doors off! THAT'S the Ovation spirit I'm looking for.

This is the last I'll post on this thread because I know it's just gonna spin out of control. There are very few who love Ovation as much as I do, but I'm not going to gop as far as to ignore that their may be other possible paths to success. Like I said it's just my stupid opinions. OK, if building a wooden box Ovation is out of the question that AT LEAST take a stab at a textured adamas top tenor ukulele built on a mandolin bowl. All you need to do is program up the CNC lathe to spit out a neck. Please ?
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2006-01-07 9:41 PM (#270103 - in reply to #270079)

Chant it with me...

Q!...Q!...Q!...Q!... I would LOVE to play one. the fact that it shares it's name with measure of quality of a resonant system should send shivers down the spines (if they had any) of the Mar-Tay-Avee crowd. Ovation was using early FEA technology before it was propular in aero-space, let alone musical instruments. Ovation making wood-boxes would be like the Wright bros going back to bicycles...
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)