The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
WANTED: Legend 1717-4 with OP40

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

PEZ
Posted 2008-08-12 4:05 PM (#301942 - in reply to #301917)
Subject: Re: WANTED: Legend 1717-4 with OP40

Originally posted by Magic Rick:
Thank you, Mark, I will drop him a line. Also, to stonebobbo, Al and I have exchanged an email and he's declared the 1717 to be a lost model, telling me about one that he had available on his site, but it wasn't a Legend. My best bet now is to to stick with the Ovation rep (we've developed a good rapport) and see if the PM can take down the wholesale just a little on the one we're proposing to build. I have an Ovation retailer ready to step in if they can make it work a little for him. He doesn't have to have much, just something. Ovation, of course, is taken care of on the wholesale end. But again, a 2008 wholesale on 2-4 year old parts is a bit much, and the rep will see what he can do.

I printed out the latest "Trade Only" PDF price list, and I must admit, I was in shock. Price sticker shock, that is. USA/Korean made Celebs are going for what full USA Ovations went for just a decade ago. Either material prices have skyrocketed or greed has set in. I couldn't believe how many Ovation basic models were in the over $2000 range, where we once saw price points mostly for Adamas.

If not for outsourcing to Korea and China, I'm afraid Ovation would find itself almost priced out of the market. What a shame for the future.
That was likily a suggested retail price list.
http://www.ovationguitars.com/img/2008PL.pdf
They sell really for 30% less than those prices.
There was still a substantial price increase.
List price on my 1719 Traditional Custom Legend was $2150 and I paid $1500 one year ago.
List price on Martin D-28 is $2850 with no electronics.

I think they just don't want to do special orders.
I got a price on what amounts to a 1758 with an OP-50.
http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=998
with a list price of over $3000 and $2000 out the door. It should have been $1400 to $1500 out the door max. That was March of this year.
BTW I bought a used Pacemaker instead.

There really should not be a huge price difference
on a special/custom order thats something they done before. Everyone is already sold. You have no warehouse expence and your labor
was paid without a wait time. Every unsold guitar
cost money everyday its sitting there.
Plus there huge amounts of good will developed
when a custom guitars are sold for a reasonable price. Infact that type of word of mouth advertising can't be bought at any price.
Whats the first thing that happens when you get a custom guitar? You show it to other players.
Those other players want to try it.

Al has that NOS 30th Aniv. Custom Legend.
$1700 is a fair price.
It has an OP-Pro which I think is easier to operate than the OP-40. It also has a balanced line out. The 1719 is visually stunning to look at. The sound is slightly better.

I still think it a big mistake having no deep cut
available outside of Adamas.
If you don't want stock them have them as a cataloged special order.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Magic Rick
Posted 2008-08-13 12:13 AM (#301943 - in reply to #301917)

I'm with you, PEZ. I agree that it's a big mistake having no deep bowls available outside of the Adamas line now. The rep explained to me that, even though the Ovation 1717 was once the flagship of the line, in "today's market," you would be lucky to sell 1 or 2 of them in the course of a year.

The question I never got around to asking is:

Why?

Sounds to me more like a marketing problem, having the idea that every Ovation sold now has to be "cutting edge," with all kinds of new bells and whistles. I'm not criticizing the lightning bolts, after all, you have one and love it. That's fine. But what happened to consistency? What happened to TRADITION?

Part of what sells Martin and Taylor is the sense of TRADITION. Yes, offer new ideas like the contour bowl, if you want to. But dance with the ones who brought you! The Glen Campbell and Al DiMeola guitars should NEVER be put on a discontinued list, nor should the original (but upgraded) Legend, even if only to keep it as a line item available by order.

Why wouldn't you want to sell something that is presold? Why would you want to eliminate from the line the very form, style, presentation and sound that Charlie first created? There is no such thing as an "old fashioned" Ovation.

All of them count and make a difference. But after 40 years, something needs to remain from the beginnings of this guitar. There is a simple beauty and a stunning craftsmanship in the 1717-4, with a NATURAL top, and the ORIGINAL Ovation oak leaf rosette that sings to me from across a room. The sound is simply stunning.

And isn't that what it's all about? If Martin can crank out their beauties from year to year with all of the improvements but still looking like a classic Martin, what's wrong with Ovation doing the same thing?

So like I said, I'm with you on that point. As for the price, I'm expecting to land somewhere around $1400-$1500, which was the original MSRP of this model, NOT the 30% discounted price. I can't explain it, because the parts they're building it from are as old as the models still on the retail shelves.

Somewhere in this, we can only conclude, simply, that OVATION JUST WANTED MORE MONEY, PERIOD. And if I want to play, I'm going to have to pay.

This will be a guitar for my lifetime, never to leave my side, so hopefully, I will have these issues settled soon. Thanks for your interest!
Magic Rick
Posted 2008-08-21 2:21 AM (#301944 - in reply to #301917)

To all who posted and advised, especially moody, a hearty thanks. seesquare and I (Chris Clark) connected, had a lively series of emails (a very, very nice young man) and to make a long story short, I just PayPal'ed his $400 asking price for the Glen Campbell Artist rebuild he had. Chris sent me very detailed photos of the work that was done, and the guitar looks just magnificent.

Another chapter in the happy ending for this post: Ovation and I have come to an agreement, and I will be getting a full featured, LAST IN THE SERIES FOREVER, Ovation Legend 1717-4 with OP Pro installed. Delivery to be accomplished sometime in the next 120 days.

I came here empty-handed, made a lot of new friends, and now I'm set with a Glen Campbell Artist that was an Ovation factory labor-of-love, PLUS the Legend that I wanted as well. The boys at Ovation have even given me a quote on dropping an OP Pro into the GC Artist too, making it a fully equipped stage instrument. I'll wait until it gets here to make that decision, but it sounds like a good idea.

Who says dreams don't come true? Everybody, keep believin' in Ovation....I do!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)