The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Larry Coryell Guitar Auction

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Pauly13
Posted 2005-06-19 1:17 PM (#336280)
Subject: Larry Coryell Guitar Auction

Hi Guys and Gals:
If you are interested in bidding on some Ovations (and some other cool stuff) owned by guitar legend Larry C., please drop an email to:
coryellguitars@yahoo.com. All you have to do is say you are interested and when the site is completed, you will be notified of the url.
There will be many cool pics of the guitars, amps, etc., plus pics of Larry.
Please, no questions at this time, this is just
an advance notice to Ovation guitar fans.
Thanks,
Paul
Authorized agent for L.C.
6/19/05
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-21 6:01 PM (#336281 - in reply to #336280)
Subject: Re: Larry Coryell Guitar Auction

Just talked to pauly more pics are up.

I'm gonna try and get the little lanilei 3350 if it don't go to high.

adamas 12 built for LC ...

God Bless,

Glenn
stephent28
Posted 2005-06-21 8:26 PM (#336282 - in reply to #336280)

Is the 12 gonna go in the auction?
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-21 10:34 PM (#336283 - in reply to #336280)

last I talked w/paul he said Larry was undecided and wanted input as to value b4 making a decision on that particular guitar.

all the others I know are for sale, and some others as well as soon as Larry gets back, but the website shows a bid of 8 grand on that guitar...

would that be in line for a custom Adamas I built for an artist of his stature or is that a scarecrow?... don't think I've seen an Adamas I for sale any time recently and definitely not an Ovation Artist's custom w/this provenance.

I don't know and that's part of the reason I sent him here..(paul),

He(Larry) wants them to go to player's/fans and since he was an Ovation endorsing artist recording much of his his stuff on them I figured a lot of you here would appreciate an early preview and a chance at some of his equipment.

BTW... nice snag on the 1537 glad it went to one of us.

God Bless,

Glenn
stephent28
Posted 2005-06-22 12:41 AM (#336284 - in reply to #336280)

Well, I look at the guitar and not necessarily who owned it or played it. That might make them more valuable to some people but not to me.

I was thinking the 12 string was probably in the $2,000 - $3000 range. The last couple of really nice ones on ebay went for between $2100 and $2300.

For 8 grand, I would add a couple more and grab one of the original slotheads!
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-22 1:20 AM (#336285 - in reply to #336280)

my thoughts also.. I told Pauly to look to get around 3 large maybe a little more, but then I too look mainly at the guitar.. for the (Coryell) fans and collectors it could go nuts, you never know, again I don't know if there is an actual bid @ that price or pauly is just figuring out his site building skills.. I will get the ser# and other info that I can and let everyone know what I find out but will probably get all the info we need after Larry's return.

God Bless,

Glenn
Northcountry
Posted 2005-06-22 6:56 AM (#336286 - in reply to #336280)

Ohh My, My, My, that is a nice 12 string! I would like to make it My, My, Mine.

Randy
willard
Posted 2005-06-22 7:09 AM (#336287 - in reply to #336280)

I'm sorry I have to ask but who is Larry Coryell?
cliff
Posted 2005-06-22 7:36 AM (#336288 - in reply to #336280)

I'm sorry you have to ask, too ;)

Looky Here:

Larry Coryell
schroeder
Posted 2005-06-22 7:47 AM (#336289 - in reply to #336280)

The first record of LC's that I bought was Lofty Fake Anagram when he was in Gary Burton's band. That would have been about '69 or '70. Being deadly honest it was also the last LC album I bought. But not the last Gary Burton by a long shot.
cliff
Posted 2005-06-22 7:50 AM (#336290 - in reply to #336280)

I'd recommend "Larry Coryell & Steve Kahn - Live".
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-22 10:48 AM (#336291 - in reply to #336280)

Just got off the phone w/Paul,

#'s for the Adamas I as deciphered by Brett

3404-92
1588-2

of course signed by dubya2

the 8 grand bid is on the Cort Proto(actually built by grimes)

according to paul, Larry is now back...
so more info and answers to follow.

for all people using aol e-mail to contact paul please send an alternate(not aol) so that he may respond,,, his isp or system is having problems with those addresses.

AL... I gave him your info, please if you have an alternate use that, I will also e-mail you Paul's cell # in the next few minutes.

God Bless,

Glenn
stephent28
Posted 2005-06-22 1:02 PM (#336292 - in reply to #336280)

What years are the ovations and will Paul be posting the conditions of the various guitars?
an4340
Posted 2005-06-22 1:07 PM (#336293 - in reply to #336280)

I always thought of him as a jazz / fusion guy. Did he say why he was unloading his guitars.
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-22 2:13 PM (#336294 - in reply to #336280)

The guitars and gear listed under Auction, Ovation's and Larry's stuff on various pages of the above link are for sale/auction.

also some others not yet posted.

the only guitar in question of sale is the Adamas 1588 and will have full clarification on it within the next day or two.

I'll have the ser #'s on the Ovations/others/equipment for you guys as required.

the 1861 has a finish crack(not top through) from corner of bridge on treble side to lower bout. no issues other than that I know of. has electrical mods(pickup and whatever that button is) that were done for Larry.

the classical has no issues and is in excellent condition.

Larry will also sign these if wanted and all were last played by him and have not been cleaned or polished in any way. only handling since last played were for the taking of the pictures.

God Bless,

Glenn
Pauly13
Posted 2005-06-22 10:47 PM (#336295 - in reply to #336280)

Hi Everybody;
First, thanks for letting me part o' de club and second thanks to Glenn for all his help with this burden I have been entrusted to.
I don't want to rattle any cages, but I have never owned an O myself as one never came across my path...it was an Alvarez-Yairi that fell into my lap in '76 and that was the last acoustic I ever needed. I practise and tutor on acoustics only, but my love is my Gibson Johnny Smith,
my '77 Les Paul (used by Larry on the Hendrix CD we did together)and my SG. There is a neat pic of Larry holding my Smith ('66) on the site: http://www.coryellguitars.4t.com
Larry is a monster acoustic player. I have seen him play his Grimes live 4 times in the last year and each time he took my breath and put it somewhere's else besides my lungs. I have seen Legg, etc. etc. and no one plays with invention
like Larry for me, that's all. And to be honored with the gig of dispersing some of his toys is frankly an honor. But this is not puffery to make the dollars go up, that's simply me to you.
All that being said, I hope the confusion about the 12-string Adamas is cleared up...the bid for the CORT Prototype is 8 thou, NOT the 12 string!
The Cort proto is based on an LC model by Grimes that sells for just shy of 6 grand w/o electronics. Also, the neck shape and sound hole designs were by Larry. It was used extensively live and in the studio and someone has bid a good starting number for it.
I checked the crack in the Balladeer today and
it does NOT go through, it is just a finish crack.
That guitar also has the Hex pickup system (as identified by Glenn)and I gotta find out what THAT BUTTON is. Hopefully I will speak to Coryell tomorrow, on his way to the airport to head to Spain. To all those interested in these pieces, sit tight and gimme time. At least I have the website to the point where you can see the stuff, and I will gather the info you'll want as it comes in. i know that a guitar should be purchased for it's playability and it's sound and not because it came from somebody famous...but you can be sure that if a master like Larry kept them this long (and why he's on the fence about the 12) you must know that he loved them. he is just cleaning house, so to speak, but wants them to go to a player.
Peace and Thanks again.
Pauly
Pauly13
Posted 2005-06-23 2:55 PM (#336296 - in reply to #336280)

Update from Pauly:
Just got off the phone with Larry as he waits in the Orlando airport to leave for Spain and he says he is willing to part with the 12-string!
He is looking for a minimum starting bid of
$5,000.00 US. Thanks
Paul
http://www.coryellguitars.4t.com
coryellguitars@yahoo.com
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-06-23 7:16 PM (#336297 - in reply to #336280)

Pauly:

I hate to sound crass, but $5k is way over the market for that guitar unless you happen to be a rich LC/Ovation fan. Good luck, that person may be out there.
stephent28
Posted 2005-06-23 7:45 PM (#336298 - in reply to #336280)

Paul's right, you can have Ovation custom build one for less than that. Mint Adamas 12 strings have been selling on ebay in the $2000-2500 range.
alpep
Posted 2005-06-23 10:50 PM (#336299 - in reply to #336280)

Moody

SHUT UP

you have no clue what a guitar like this could bring to a fan. A fan may want to pay 1000K for it since Larry owned it. sure you can have a dulplicate made but then it is just a duplicate.

I love when people that have no idea what they are talking about comment on things.

You want to talk about the collector and Celebrity owned instument market? it is totally different than buying a guitar off the rack. sure to you it may be meaningless but to someone else it is important. Why do you think the hard rock cafe has all those signed instruments ???????

better yet keep up the comments this is entertaining.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-06-23 11:07 PM (#336300 - in reply to #336280)

Paul - There was no vote. There is no choice.
There are no terms of service about personal attacks.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION !!!
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2005-06-24 1:28 AM (#336301 - in reply to #336280)

Hey guys don't know which paul is the walrus here...

but the minimum bids are up on the site,

so if anyone's interested hop in.

some action already. Larry will personally review and consider all offers as far as I know and as was told to me by Pauly.

looks like a nice minimum on the classical... could be a nice catch, they all will be to someone I'm sure.

God Bless,

Glenn
alpep
Posted 2005-06-24 7:48 AM (#336302 - in reply to #336280)

sorry If I came off heavy handed but i HATE the price police.
Pauly13
Posted 2005-06-24 8:39 AM (#336303 - in reply to #336280)

Hey guys.
I guess I got some hair raised here! I think that if someone really were going to spend that much money for an instrument in the first place, you would have to think about keeping it for life.

Also, if hearing Coryell play it on all those records doesn't move you, then you're the WRONG cat.
You would have to say to yourself: this is a long-term investment for a one-of-a-kind guitar
and I can devote x amount of dollars over 5 years to put towards it.
I have a Gibson SG that I purchased when I was 14 years old and I am now 52. If you were a fan, plus had the albums it was used on, plus you planned to keep it forever, you'd be happy.
A high price is not a gouge...Larry didn't even want to sell that guitar but if a person has the amount he considers to be fair, considering all things associated with it, then even he needs money so that is what swayed him. All he said to me was "If somebody is a fan of mine and can afford that much then I can't afford not to sell it." Meaning if it means that much to you to have a piece that HE considered to be sweet for all those years and it travelled the globe (as you will never do)and it's still in perfect condition then fair's fair.
This whole thing (the sale) being announced on this site was to give a head's-up to O lovers. I could easily go to Ebay Japan and dump it for 10 grand. Think about that before you complain out loud. To others with a more conservative nature,
I apologize that the price is what it is, but it IS worth more to a cash-flush collector.

Paul (wish I HAD been the Walrus!!!!)
cliff
Posted 2005-06-24 9:08 AM (#336304 - in reply to #336280)

Personally, if a guitar of such calibre were given to me as a gift (". . as they were a gift to me for my 52nd birthday . .), especially by some of Mr. Coryell's notoriety, I couldn't conscionably sell it, let alone "hawk it" on his aforementioned notoriety. To me, it smacks of being just a wee bit "tacky" . . . . but then again, what the hell do I know . . . I'm just some idiot who doesn't sell gear for a living (but does hold personal gifts with a degree of esteem).
I sincerely hope that it garners the price that you want for it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)