The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Black Legend GUITAR CRAFT

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

alpep
Posted 2002-07-15 3:31 PM (#343764)
Subject: Black Legend GUITAR CRAFT

I have a black Legend 1867 in super shallow for sale on my website. this is the model used by those interested in Robert Fripp's Guitar Craft Technique.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2002-07-15 5:45 PM (#343765 - in reply to #343764)
Subject: Re: Black Legend GUITAR CRAFT

Al, I've seen other posts mention Guitar Craft. What is it ???
alpep
Posted 2002-07-15 6:15 PM (#343766 - in reply to #343764)

Guitar Craft was developed by Robert Fripp guitarist extrodinaire of King Crimson fame. You may have noticed some cd's by the league of crafty guitarists they are Fripp students and/or the California guitar trio another group of Crafties.
the method as it was explained to me takes on both discipline of a lifestyle that includes dedication and honor to the craft of making music and or guitar playing. This means that there is meditation and no real ego play. everyone is considered on an equal plain since you are no longer using what is considered standard guitar method.
Fripp developed a tuning which I cannot remember off the top of my head but I believe it is in 4ths and he calls it New Standard Tuning. I find this a bit pretentious but he is a Brit so I and a great guitarist so I will cut him some slack. Fripp also has a special pick to use that he developed along with a special way to hold the guitar and attack the strings special exercises etc.
I am sure there are other folks on this board like Darc who is currently in Germany at a Guitar Craft seminar and Stonge who did some work with Gutiar Craft.
I have wrestled with experimenting with this method myself but often return back to I have not yet mastered standard tuning and if I were to suck on guitar I may as well suck at what I do best without exploring other methods to further suck at.
The guitar of choice for the Guitar Craft students is the Ovation Legend in super shallow in black. The guitar is not pretentious but considered strictly utilitarian by Guitar Craft standards. They love the way it projects and it can withstand the rigors of the New Standard Tuning.
If I have made any errors in my explaination of guitar craft please forgive me and correct me.
Standingovation
Posted 2002-07-15 6:53 PM (#343767 - in reply to #343764)

Al - Thanks for the detail. Very interesting. I saw Fripp in Asbury Park many, many years ago with his "League of Gentlemen". I loved it. My new bride hated it. She had me take her to the emergency room because she swore her ears were bleeding. This must have been pre Gruitar Craft. I have been accused of using alternate tunings on occasion, but it's never intentional, I assure you. Dave
alpep
Posted 2002-07-15 7:39 PM (#343768 - in reply to #343764)

Gizz
I have no clue what you are asking about. Please do not put words in my mouth I did not say they things that you are attributing to me.
please re read my post and then re word your request.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-07-15 7:41 PM (#343769 - in reply to #343764)

I think the "guitar craft" tuning is in fifths based on a low-c, not unlike a mandocello or cittern but with a different scale length & extra courses, but I may be wrong. Either way it was hardly new or revolutionary. "You must play in this tuning & eat museli & meditate with Maestro Fripp, then you can join the master race" He's always been a pretentious little turd, and guitar craft was a perfect vehicle for his turdiness. He thinks 'cos he's British & played with King Crimson you guys will think he's cool & nicely eccentric. It speaks volumes that he didn't try to sell it over here.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-15 10:30 PM (#343770 - in reply to #343764)

Al - my man, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, I just want to hear some of that new fangdangle music somewhere, so I'll know what the hay you're talkin' bout. It's not my intention to agree with you that you "Quote" ,"suck" at playing, at least till I hear you play. My referrence to 440 tuning might've gone over your head, I'm sorry and apologize, but I guess I did miss read it. I still want to hear this music. I happen to have King Crimson "Starless and Bible Black" released in 1974, where Fripp was tooling around with Mellotron Devices and no telling what kind of other things like the Mini Moog was coming out around that time too. He did write "Fracture" all by himself without the help of Wetton&Bruford and Palmer-James it's running time is 11 minutes 14 secs. long.... a real head trip song at the time. So, don't take me wrong brother, I've been playing for a long long time, and don't know how long you have, but like I said "you're only as good as you practice to be" Rock & Roll :cool:
alpep
Posted 2002-07-16 7:11 AM (#343771 - in reply to #343764)

www.guitarcraft.com
cliff
Posted 2002-07-16 9:44 AM (#343772 - in reply to #343764)

Checked out the site.
hmmmmm......I don't know.

Sounds to me like a melange of Dianetics, Waco and Amway!

Let's see, I can take $995 and buy that new, black Legend 12 string at Guitar Center that's been giving me a "chubby" for the past couple months......OR.......I can put that same amount towards a three day seminar that'll qualify me to buy yet another seminar. I'll pass.

If my daughter EVER had to come and claim my body, I wouldn't want her to find me in a bunk bed wearing a black running suit, white Nike's and a black Legend over my chest.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-07-16 9:53 AM (#343773 - in reply to #343764)

Robert Fripp is undoubtedly a musician of some considerable talent. However it is my opinion that when someone like Fripp uses his celebrity status to dress-up, market and sell a long-established alternate tuning (it is not, & never will be the "new standard tuning" ) as an elitist club or some kind of new-age philosophy, like a guitar-playing L.Ron Hubbard, then it is not only pretentious & exploitative but smacks of "the emperor's new clothes" & is somewhat laughable.
His regular "Guitar Craft" columns for Guitar Player magazine in the 80's were so full of pseudo-intellectuall posturing I nearly took up the Banjo.

Paul

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Templeman ]
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-07-16 10:19 AM (#343774 - in reply to #343764)

So Paul.. tell us how you really feel.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-07-16 10:54 AM (#343775 - in reply to #343764)

It's OK miles, I'm due for my medication soon.
alpep
Posted 2002-07-16 11:39 AM (#343776 - in reply to #343764)

Well it has always been my view that Fripp and King Crimson are an acquired taste. some like it others do not.
I must admit that I am intrigued by guitar craft and the whole process. New age postering, and some ego mixed with voodoo perhaps sure but you cannot deny that it at least if nothing else promotes guitar and guitar playing and there is not too much of it these days. (personally I think we should bag it all for 2 turntables and a microphone)
I really do not feel qualified to defend or critique the Guitar Craft method. I can say this I did see the California Guitar Trio perform live and was blown away. I do love King Crimson and most of the Fripp solo stuff.
I think some day I will have to break down and go to a weekend clinic and see what it is all about. Maybe as a journalist I can get involved at a reduced rate.
nearixson
Posted 2002-07-16 12:31 PM (#343777 - in reply to #343764)

whoah, lots of vitriol! I've been working in Guitar Craft for about a year and a half now, and not only are your complaints valid, they're the same ones I still have. Much of GC is useful, intensive technique, much of it is a practical way to approach playing music in a group. But, I don't believe that "How you hold your pick is how you organize your life" and all the rest of that. The eastern-mysticism aspect of it is a problem for even people who have worked in it for years.

Oh yeah, it's expensive, too. the cheaper weekend courses (that Fripp isn't even at) are a much better value.

ANyways, I'm new here. I play a balladeer from 1996 in New Standard Tuning. Among other things.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-16 1:51 PM (#343778 - in reply to #343764)

Welcome Nearx, Maybe you can explain this new so called "Tuning" thing, like 1 string at a time or so for us Jethro BooDeens out here.
AND why is Mr. Fripp not making a stop in Dallas? We won't shoot 'em, I promise !! :D

web pageRockyGizTx

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-16 11:52 PM (#343779 - in reply to #343764)

O.K. members... I found King Crimson's " Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream", "I talk to the Wind" , "The Court of the Crimson King (Return of the Fire Witch)" on MusicMatch RadioRX, and have 'em on MP3's for any one who wants to hear 1 or all 3 of 'em.
Bailey
Posted 2002-07-17 2:55 AM (#343780 - in reply to #343764)

Did someone here say Mr. Tripp has worked out this New Standard Tuning for the banjo? I now know that I have worked with GC (maybe that should be Banjo Craft) banjo players, they travel from bluegrass festival to bluegrass festival living an undisciplined lifestyle, dedicated to booze and licentiousness, constantly repeating the foggy mountain mantra. Probably this is an offshoot that Mr. Tripp won't recognize because they have already achieved a form of nirvana that the rest of us, thank god, will never achieve. Obviously this system works for banjo players.

I'm signing up tomorrow. ( a friend of mine had a bar in Ocean Beach, CA with a slogan "free beer tomorrow")

Bailey
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-17 5:39 AM (#343781 - in reply to #343764)

Bailey, It's getting deep now...I wonder what a banjo would sound like plugged in with a Wa Wa with full distortion routed out a Rat switch - overdubbed with a mellotron? Wow man, like where's the beer? Can see Fripp ripped playing that :rolleyes:
cliff
Posted 2002-07-17 7:46 AM (#343782 - in reply to #343764)

jeeeez!

This whole thing has come about with just poor Al trying to sell a guitar.!
alpep
Posted 2002-07-17 8:43 AM (#343783 - in reply to #343764)

PLEASE BUY THIS GUITAR AND STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gIZZ
none of those tracks you mentioned would use the NST if they are the originals.
tdarensbourg
Posted 2002-07-17 11:02 AM (#343784 - in reply to #343764)

Yeah, let's give Alpep the respect he (and his guitars) deserve!
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-17 12:15 PM (#343785 - in reply to #343764)

O>K. class, let's get back in your seats now. :( As much as I'd like to have that puppy you're tryin' to sell... I just went and bought one across the tracks , Al. Found me an Old Harmony Stratotone, working on it now, have some shorting out and we have to take it apart and see. Here is a picture of one, but mine is a Sunburst color. Check it out if you have time...... It's exactly like the one that ol' boy is playing sittin' on that Fender amp and with his U.S. Kids tennie shoes. Remember those? Dr. Soles where were you in the 50's and 60's -
web pageHarmonyStratotone

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
alpep
Posted 2002-07-17 12:34 PM (#343786 - in reply to #343764)

I thought you hated "la bamba"
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-17 4:58 PM (#343787 - in reply to #343764)

Al, brother if I found a magic lamp and got 3 wishes, my first one would be to go back in time so's I could either break Mr.Bamba's fingers or shoot 'em to keep 'em from doing it, and change history from that awful bleeping song. Also "You light up my life" Debbie Boone is on that list, too. But, what I'm wondering is, why you asked that? Does it have to do with my old/new puppy? You have NO idea what I'm gonna do with it, sure as (You know what) am NOT gonna play 50's & 60's stuff with it. I put my equipment thru all sorts of paces with different foot pedals and switches. No brother, this puppy will not be doing no crap songs. Homie Don't play dat :cool:

P.S. Have a safe and happy time at that thing you're going to. We expect updates from you. Send us a post card too --- :)

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
alpep
Posted 2002-07-17 5:46 PM (#343788 - in reply to #343764)

richie valenzuela's first guitar was a harmony stratotone
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)