The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Glen Campbell Artist Balladeer

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Vanessa MacAulay
Posted 2002-06-26 11:08 PM (#343819)
Subject: Glen Campbell Artist Balladeer

Hi.... I'm Vanessa and I am looking for any information I can get on this guitar. I own a G.C. Balladeer, model K-1127-4. However, I don't know very much about it! I would like to know how many were actually made and i would also like to talk with other people who own the same model. I look forward to hearing from anybody!! Thanks!
My email is vanessamacaulay@hotmail.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-05 10:13 PM (#343820 - in reply to #343819)
Subject: Re: Glen Campbell Artist Balladeer

Just became a member today 7/5/02. Have always wondered about my signature Glen Campbell Ovation that I bought about 15 years ago, from a friend who was down on his luck. It was hard for him to let it go, and I told him he could buy it back any time he wanted. Have not seen him since. This is the best puppy I've ever played. It has Glen's signature on the key neck, and inside with the number M-293. I have been told that Glen had like 500 of them made for him , something like that. Is this a collectors item? it has 1127-4 right above it and is also signed again by Glen Campbell on a piece of paper on the inside glued to the bottom of the bowl. I've put a Lawrence pickup for a standard on it when I wanted to plug it in, and it is some sound hard to explain. Also with distortion and the works to see what it could do. Vanessa I see yours had a "letter" then 1127-4 what would that mean? Laterz
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-07-05 10:49 PM (#343821 - in reply to #343819)

It's always interesting to find a serial number like yours, with an M and then three digits. It doesn't fit into anything that Ovation has published regarding serial numbers. My first question would be, is it a shinny bowl or a textured bowl? Since it is a Glen Campbell model, this would date it as late 1968 or later. The type of bowl would indicate early 69 or later, as I believe (and it can be searched on this page) that the textured bowls came in mid 1969 or thereabouts (if memory serves).

Bill, you got any info that will shed light on this?
Bluebird
Posted 2002-07-05 10:57 PM (#343822 - in reply to #343819)

I don't recall ever hearing about any of these with signed labels inside the bowls...thats a new one on me!

Wayne
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-06 6:00 PM (#343823 - in reply to #343819)

Hi Wayne and Paul, I am not kidding you. It has the textured back, that's why I was wondering on the shine on the one in the picture. I've taken pictures of it and now taking a picture of the inside signed paper with the numbers and Glen's signature. I've always said pictures don't lie, so I'll be uploading them just soon as I get them to my friend who sends all my pics to me. I don't have a scanner. This dinosaur won't do it. Any who - I wish it had that shiney back though, cause it sure would get more attention. It does now, but if it shined.. look out
moody, p.i.
Posted 2002-07-06 6:52 PM (#343824 - in reply to #343819)

Gizz:
The textured back indicates a later, not earlier manufacturing time. Oavtion started with the shinny backs then went to the textured one.

But that label....
Jeff
Posted 2002-07-06 7:30 PM (#343825 - in reply to #343819)

I saw one once with the signature on the label, but it was on a much later production model; probably a mid-eighties since it was the blue, oval style label.

Jeff
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-06 7:40 PM (#343826 - in reply to #343819)

I've looked all over these sites, thought by posting it - someone would hit on something and fill me in. Rumor I heard was that Glen Campbell had a bunch of made and signed all of them personally. I just wondering if I got number 293 or what. Here are some pics of it. web pageRockyGizTx

web pageRockygiztx

web pageRockygiztx

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-06 8:49 PM (#343827 - in reply to #343819)

O.K. took my glass's off and put my nose right up to the strings. It's a 2x3 piece of paper with Glen Campbell signature in red and Model 1127-4 and below it says Serial No. M-293. It does have a textured back. Any idea what year it came out and how many were made with GC signature on neck and on label inside in red? I'm looking too all over this Fan club site. All replys have been nice and interesting. Have pictures of it on the way soon.
Vanessa MacAulay
Posted 2002-07-06 11:57 PM (#343828 - in reply to #343819)

Hey this is Vanessa again. This is becoming quite an interesting topic! I don't think my G.C. K-1127 is as valuable as I thought! It doesn't have a shiny bowl and from what I'm reading, must have been made at a later date than the original 1968s. To have a signature on the inside is amazing, mine doesn't have that either. (Mine has a signature on the neck though) What I cannot understand is how two different guitars can have the same model number.???Someone help me out! I've emailed the Ovation company with questions concerning my guitar, however, that was about a month ago and I've heard no reply.
Keep chatting,I love reading about this!
Beal
Posted 2002-07-08 7:53 PM (#343829 - in reply to #343819)

Vanessa, You'll probably have a long wait for the email to be answered. Call the factory.

When Glen Campbell first signed the endorsement deal with Ovation part of the deal was that he had to work at the factory for 6 months. In retaliation he started the Glen Campbell model. He worked very hard to get his signature to be just like the silkscreened one we put on the peghead and the one that was printed on the glued in lable. When he went on the road he had family members fill in for him. The M- serial number was built by his mother, hence the M.

Actually there were some letter-3number guitars. I remember a classic I had that was G-363 It was one of what we called the Euro classic and there were 6 made. Maybe there were others with the same scheme??
Sam, were there ever any shiney, as in gloss not just shiney, CG models? I would think not since we didn't hook up with him till late 68.
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-08 8:36 PM (#343830 - in reply to #343819)

Hi CWK2, that's very interesting about the (M) standing for Glen's Moms I.D. on my guitar. Now , we need to find out what the #293 is. This is getting good. Hope the pics come out tomorrow.
samova
Posted 2002-07-08 11:33 PM (#343831 - in reply to #343819)

Bill, yes there are few shiny bowl,five point brazilian bridge GC's..I have one that dates to 68,although the model was not formally introduced until 1969..These early ones had deep shiny bowl not artist size bowls...I bet the one that Gizz has is a artist model with the second generation thin bridge.You know the one they used for a short time until they went to the current bridges..Its probably a 1970-1972 Glen Campbell..
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-09 6:27 AM (#343832 - in reply to #343819)

Thank you Sam, for narrowing it down some more. I can't wait to post the pics. Here is the bad news. It's not in near perfect condition. It's been through a lot, more like a war. Had it in my jam room with up to 14 of the original players in my high school reunion horn band. Well, as you who play know, we'd go thru like 5 cases of beer per rehersals sometimes. I had it out of the case and 1 of 'em had a pair of drum sticks and thought he was Ringo. While playing on anything around the room, like the walls, shelves, peoples heads,and helping the drummer on a separate cymbal. He took a swing at my GC, and cracked it right beside the bridge. I was standing there watching 'em and like saw it coming. We were in the middle of a song. He was a horn player and just goofin' off. The GC was on a stand. I could not get to it in time. But did get to kick him just as he hit it. Stop'd playing and thru him out of the house - litterally and have not seen him since, and he did not show up at the 20 year reunion either. I really have not noticed any difference in the sound, but have a rush everytime I see the crack soon as I open the case. You'll see it in the picture. Still P.D off - so if any one starts to cry, I'm crying with you. But it's still alive and still plays like a bad dog, that's what I care about. I just had to tell you all the story. Pictures up soon as I get 'em.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-07-09 6:40 AM (#343833 - in reply to #343819)

Hi Sam, according to the "book", the GC's were introduced in Nov '68...is this info wrong?

cwktwo, my GC proto is also a shiney (deep) bowl.

Wayne

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Weiner ]
samova
Posted 2002-07-09 12:02 PM (#343834 - in reply to #343819)

Wayne,always rememeber ,the book is wrong and im RIGHT!!!...OK.The book says November of 1968,so i may have missed it by a month!
GEEEZZZ,cut me a break ...
Actually i have some literature that says it was a introduced in 1969 but since the book says november 1968 we can go with that...What the hell its only a month away from 1969...
Beal
Posted 2002-07-09 4:19 PM (#343835 - in reply to #343819)

OK, I guess they did make a shiney, gloss bowl. In looking back it is interesting to see how much the type of texture on the bowl changed. In the beginning it was pretty mild and also rather shiney. Then it got much more pronounced and dull looking.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-07-09 9:10 PM (#343836 - in reply to #343819)

Hi Sam, one month I can forgive but Nov to Jan is TWO months...we can't have that :D . Just kidding of course, you have been more accurate than the "book" on more than one occasion. Can you put an estimate as to how many shiney/deep GC's were made?

Wayne

PS: You have to remember I am a former Fender Vintage Junk-ie so I am still fairly anal about the minute details of these old guitars!
samova
Posted 2002-07-09 9:36 PM (#343837 - in reply to #343819)

Wayne,this is my best guestimate on deep shiny bowl Glen Campbells 50-100 total.(help Bill)..I have only seen 4 total including mine..There probably only a few artist bowl with the second generation bridge as well..Then there was a buttload of the third generation G.C.,s........BTW, a buttload is a lot here in Georgia!! Its a little less that a shitload...
Tommy Darensbourg
Posted 2002-07-10 12:53 AM (#343838 - in reply to #343819)

Sam and Wayne and all y'all:

Do we need to get anal here? Goodness, in no time at all this fan club room might need some fumigation!!!!!

Alpep and I are standing ready with the disinfectants and potpourri sprays.

Now, if you want to talk about sex and orgasms (as I have done in previous postings), then that's fine. But no anal-shit.

Love this club!

:rolleyes:
dbur
Posted 2002-07-10 1:54 PM (#343839 - in reply to #343819)

I have an early GC, shiny bowl, serial # A-473, pentagonal bridge, etc, which I think dates from about 1968. I know Bill Kaman had seen it before I bought it and was surprised, indicating he did not recall the deep bowl configuration.
Bluebird
Posted 2002-07-11 5:19 PM (#343840 - in reply to #343819)

Sam, 50-100 is probably about right although I suspect the actual # is closest to the 50. You just practically never see them.

Wayne
Beal
Posted 2002-07-13 7:24 PM (#343841 - in reply to #343819)

Sam, I just remember that a shitload was 32 so your quantity must be slightly less.
I don't remember this other guitar but I guess that deep GCs must exist. They must not be the mother guitars, maybe the sister and brothers.
samova
Posted 2002-07-15 2:26 PM (#343842 - in reply to #343819)

Bill, a shitload is usually around 32 unless your from Alabama where there are only three numbers in their numeric system....Its one,two and a shitload...Thats all the numbers you need over there...
Gizz
Posted 2002-07-15 2:56 PM (#343843 - in reply to #343819)

Get a LOAD of these :rolleyes: web pageRockygiztx

web pageRockygiztx

web pageRockygiztx

web pageRockygiztx

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Gizz ]
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)