The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello, and Breadwinner question!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

brain21
Posted 2011-06-05 4:51 AM (#1483)
Subject: Hello, and Breadwinner question!

First post here, so hello from Atlanta!

I have a question.... I have a Breadwinner Limited that I will be looking to sell to finance some things once it gets a good setup. My problem is that I can't remove the battery cavity cover! The screws will NOT budge. I'm talking about these screws:

(those are not my pics, but mine looks just like it)

I have tried to unscrew it, but those screw heads are so shallow and the slot is so wide its difficult to find anything that won't just slip when you turn it. I have tried several coins, but it just ends up shredding the edges of the coin and not budging.

Anyone have any tricks to try or something? I *really* don't want to have to drill out the screws as I would like to sell it and need to keep it in the best condition possible.

Anyone have any tips for me? TIA

Brain21
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2011-06-05 10:24 AM (#1484 - in reply to #1483)
Subject: Re: Hello, and Breadwinner question!

I don't have an answer for you, but i can tell you they're not full threaded screws. Just a quarter turn or so is all they do.

I've updated your status so you can post your question in the main forum.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-06-05 4:11 PM (#1485 - in reply to #1483)

Spray some good 'ol WD-40 around the heads. Let it set for a while, then attempt again. Use a nickle and hold it with a pair of vise grips. Insure you are pushing IN while you are attempting to TURN out. A technique I have used is again... with the vice grips attached, hold the vise grips applying turning pressure and tap the back of the grips lightly with a wood or plastic mallet. It may not be "stuck" as such, but rather things expanded and contracted over the years and it's not comfortably clearing the "nub" that's holding it in place. That last bit will make sense when you get the lock out and see what it is.

As Damon eluded, they only move 1/4 turn and are not even screws at all but twist locks. It's also possible that you have a leaked battery in there that made a mess on the inside so when you do get it loose be VERY careful. Use chemical resistant gloves.

Good luck
brain21
Posted 2011-06-06 2:14 AM (#1486 - in reply to #1483)

OK, I'll try tomorrow and see if I can get them off. I had used Vise grips with a nickel, a quarter, I even tried 2 dimes but I think those might have been too thick. I tried tapping on the heads too and that didn't work. I'll spray WD-40 tomorrow...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)