The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OK, so my question is.......

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

nam-flashback
Posted 2011-05-24 3:33 AM (#1518)
Subject: OK, so my question is.......

....is there a way to replace the dual concentric (I think that's what it is called) tone/volume knob on my 1624-4? It is a 1982 model with the vol/tone on the upper bout. Basically the tone wheel/knob has been glued in a fixed position and this does cause some rattling (although it doesn't seem to be noticeable at stage volumes or at least I can't hear it - yet) The volume bit works fine. I have a master repairer who can do the work but where can I get the pot (potentiometer, not weed!)and the plastic knobs?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AussieJames
Posted 2011-05-24 4:14 AM (#1519 - in reply to #1518)
Subject: Re: OK, so my question is.......

It's called stacked!! :D

I'm pretty sure mother still has the knobs, not sure about the pot.
Is the tone control stuck because it is glued or broken?

AJ
nam-flashback
Posted 2011-05-24 6:13 AM (#1520 - in reply to #1518)

Hi James - thanks for reply - it seems that a previous owner has dropped some Araldite or something similar onto the screw holding the tone wheel/knob onto the shaft, so it can't be taken off.The tone knob does work but the whole shaft/preamp assembly wobbles and needs to be made more stable but we cannot get it off without doing damage to the knob/shaft. I would like to replace the pots if possible. So the obvious question (which I'm sure I could find out by some forum searching) is 'who is mother?' On another matter I have an album cover featuring an Ovation which I cannot see on you site (Gregori Schecter' Echoes of the Shtetl') and the guy in the middle back row looks like Borat because it is his brother!
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-05-24 6:31 AM (#1521 - in reply to #1518)

The factory might have the part for you. They updated the stacked knob electronics package and re-released them in a few historic models around the 40th anniversary thing. I've got one on the JL3 Re-issue and it sounds great.
nam-flashback
Posted 2011-05-24 6:52 AM (#1522 - in reply to #1518)

OK - I've found the UK distributors - will let you know how I get on!
nam-flashback
Posted 2011-05-24 8:23 AM (#1523 - in reply to #1518)

Part of the reply from the distributors - although I cannot find these parts on Allparts;

The stacked pot used on Ovations is listed on part number 5550029629. The tone knob is then on 5550029875 while the volume is 5550029876.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-05-24 8:33 AM (#1524 - in reply to #1518)

you're wasting your time talking to the UK distributor. They are clueless.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-05-24 9:00 AM (#1525 - in reply to #1518)

I have tone and vol knobs. The spec on the pots changed at some point and the current spares, if you can find them, are not compatible with a preamp of early 80's vintage. I know because a few years ago I sourced a double-gang pot from the previous UK distributor which was not suitable for an ealy 80's FET3 preamp. Best bet would be to replace the entire preamp. They crop up occasionaly on ebay
AussieJames
Posted 2011-05-24 7:05 PM (#1526 - in reply to #1518)

NFB sorry, Mother means the "Mothership", ie the Ovation factory in CT.
Their customer service is second to none.

Paul knows what he's about, maybe contact him directly.

AJ
nam-flashback
Posted 2011-05-25 11:44 AM (#1527 - in reply to #1518)

Thanks Paul and James -ahhhhhh....change the preamp!!Now if I rewind a little bit.....I used a Godin Multiac nylon string for many years with this band. After a neck repair due to a car crash it survived another 2 years and then...it went all funny. Nothing too definable..the intonation was not as it was and it just didn't sound great anymore. So I spent a fortune on a solidbody hand made nylon called a Fox Amazona. The band did not like the way it looked (very electric looking) and I used it for about 10 gigs - every time it had an electrics problem usually cutting in and out after an hour or so playing. In this time I replaced the pick up, the wiring, the Shadow pre amp,the jack socket, in fact everything was replaced twice or more on the Fox and it still did it!!This meant I was having to have a back up guitar handy on every gig. So I bought the 1624 as a stop gap and, well....the band love it - I love it. So there you go. I have had some rather excellent dot markers put on the fingerboard by Bill Puplett, because the 14 frets off the body confused me at first (if I was doing certain arpeggios) but I certainly would be cautious about using another preamp on it. The Ovation sounds great through my AER Compact 60 but I just would like the tone/vol shaft to be a bit less wobbly. I think I probably will leave it but if I was going to change the preamp what would you suggest?
nam-flashback
Posted 2011-05-25 11:52 AM (#1528 - in reply to #1518)

Also Bob, if I guess - would I be right about what NFB stands for? I will probably contact mother as well regarding the pot. Nice to be called a junior member - haven't been referred to as a junior for a long time!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)