The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas... Strings?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Posted 2010-05-05 5:02 PM (#372789)
Subject: Adamas... Strings?

I could really use a second opinion from some the of the long-time Adamas players here...

I recently changed the strings on both my Adamas' (1687 & 1688). When I received them, the strings on both were older and due for a change, but still sounded huge and felt very 'soft' (as in tension...), which I liked a lot.

I replaced the strings on the 1687 (six string) with Martin Bronze (M170) (.010-.047) and was immediately disappointed with the tone and feel. Very 'small' and 'scratchy' compared to the sound of the original strings that were on it when I got it, especially the bass response. I then changed them off for a set of Martin Phosphor Bronze (M550) (.013-.056) thinking that was probably what was on there originally. This didn't improve matters at all however, and it still sounds 'small', 'scratchy' as well as 'tight' (as in too much tension...). I spoke to the original owner and he confirmed he uses Martin's (.012-.054... which I assume is their version of a 'Lite'), but I would hate to change them a third time (to .012's) and still not fix the problem.

On the 1688 (which I play a lot more...), the problem is not as marked but still annoying. The tone on the original strings (through very badly worn...) was GIGANTIC and they felt very 'buttery', now it is fresh but 'small'.

Can the tonal response of these Adamas' tops be that narrow that they MUST have a particular type of string to get the most out of them? And if so what is the 'magic' combination? I have consulted the Ovation archives and there have been three different types of strings used on Adamas over the years, so that doesn't really help much. Apparently they are shipped with D'Addarios (which is what I have been using up till now...).

I play (both) using a modified drop-D tuning (DADGBD) exclusively, almost always with a pick in a not particularly aggressive style, so any sage knowledge about what type of strings work best with these guitars would be greatly appreciated.

This 'three bears' scenario (too light, too heavy, too stiff...) with strings is driving me nuts... HELP!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-05-05 5:22 PM (#372790 - in reply to #372789)
Subject: Re: Adamas... Strings?

Avatar, I like the Martin phosphor bronze lights (12's). But if you are looking for a lower tension string you might want to try DR Sunbeams. I haven't tried them myself, but several members here have, and they seemed to like them.
Trader Jim
Posted 2010-05-05 5:29 PM (#372791 - in reply to #372789)

Elixir Nano .012's. Sorry to offend those who don't like coated strings, but they are the best to my ear. I've tried the DR Sunbeams, and I find them in the same league as D'Addario's. For a little softer tone, I use GHS silk and steels.
bvince
Posted 2010-05-05 5:37 PM (#372792 - in reply to #372789)

When I want a nice loud and clear tone on my Adamas guitars I go to the DiAdarrio EXP Mediums. (That sounds like a commercial doesn't it?)
G8r
Posted 2010-05-05 5:37 PM (#372793 - in reply to #372789)

Cleartone EMP
stephent28
Posted 2010-05-05 5:58 PM (#372794 - in reply to #372789)

Originally posted by G8r:
Cleartone EMP
yeppers!
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-05-05 6:08 PM (#372795 - in reply to #372789)

Martin strings don't work on an Adamas, silly! Adamas strings don't work on Martins, either.

Put some Adamas 1818 and 1616 strings on those bad boys and you'll be in the zone.
Posted 2010-05-05 8:04 PM (#372796 - in reply to #372789)

OK, thanks for the advice... Have always used Martins in the past (usually Marquis...) and haven't had a problem up until now.

I went back and had another go at the 1687, and realized I had switched to a softer pick because it felt so crappy. When I used a harder pick and played it more aggressively, the sound improved drastically, but it felt really awkward.

This tells me the strings are not transferring the energy into the top very efficiently and I will have to try something with a better feel. My first try will be with a set of D'Addarios with a .012 on top, as this is what it left the Ovation factory with (you'd think they would know, wouldn't you...?).

Will see how that works out... will then move on to the others mentioned if the 'magic tone' isn't found, lol.
PEZ
Posted 2010-05-06 2:53 PM (#372797 - in reply to #372789)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
Martin strings don't work on an Adamas, silly! Adamas strings don't work on Martins, either.

Put some Adamas 1818 and 1616 strings on those bad boys and you'll be in the zone.
I used Adamas Strings on my Martin D28 and on mt Guild D25
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)