The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Strings on an Adamas

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

bvince
Posted 2009-10-26 9:00 AM (#394367 - in reply to #394342)
Subject: Re: Strings on an Adamas

Just though I'd give a final review on the Alchemy strings ...

They have a very fine shell coating on them that almost feels like super-fine sandpaper. This works really nice for the right hand when playing fingerstyle, but the left hand really squeeks a bit more than normal on the strings. So I applied silicone spray on the strings over the fretboard side using a rag. It seemed to help a bit, but kinda' a pain in the rear. They have a very noticeably bright sound, more than any string I've used so far. I spoke with a friend that has used them and he said the same thing. He also claimed that they lasted longer (held their tonal qualities)than any other string he has used. When playing rhythm last weekend, there was a noticeable sound difference from the Adamas strings I used the week before. They were a bit more metallic sounding than I am used to, and to me they made the guitar sound like the other guitarist's non-Os. (which I didn't really care for) Are they worth the extra money? ... The jury is still out that one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-10-26 9:23 AM (#394368 - in reply to #394342)

I just changed the strings on the 47 RI last night: I had a set of medium Elixirs on it and they were dead sounding (and I am usually a fan of Elixirs on wood bodied guitars): the only medium sets I had were the John Pearse strings I use on the Martin D-28 and a set of D'Addario EXP17's...I went with the D'Addario's: what a difference: they sound great. I use D'Addario's on most of my O's and A's: the O's are usually Lt. gauge and Med. on A's...I am becoming a fan of the EXP's since the factory started putting them on the guitars returning from the mothership...ymmv
bvince
Posted 2009-10-26 10:51 AM (#394369 - in reply to #394342)

I had heard they were sending them out with EXPs also. I also once heard that the Adamas strings were actually made by D'Adarrio, but I haven't heard anything else to confirm or deny that.(anybody know anything about that?)
bvince
Posted 2009-10-26 10:52 AM (#394370 - in reply to #394342)

WillaMuse
Posted 2009-10-26 7:42 PM (#394371 - in reply to #394342)

Standing, I bought the guitars at the same time. Here's sneak peak. My photo programs are giving me some trouble, so excuse the crummy shot:

Aren't they lovely? They sound beautiful, but yes, different.

;)
Willa
standing
Posted 2009-10-26 9:45 PM (#394372 - in reply to #394342)

Wow Willa, those are beautiful! So, they are twins born 30 years apart? How cool is that? Congratulations!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-10-26 10:41 PM (#394373 - in reply to #394342)

The one on the left is the reissue? 2 knobber? The one on the right is older as you can tell from the yellowing snot blob (think I have one of those on my shirt)....
WillaMuse
Posted 2009-10-26 11:51 PM (#394374 - in reply to #394342)

Paul,

Yes, the one on the left is the reissue; it's the only photo my computer would let me put up, so I couldn't put a better shot up. It's is a two knobber. They both sound beautiful, but they really do sound differnt. The sustain is the same on both of them. The action is the same on both of them. The new one seems quite lighter weight-wise than the older one. The older one has a glossed neck, the new one doesn't.

;)
Willa
WillaMuse
Posted 2009-10-28 12:05 AM (#394375 - in reply to #394342)

P.S. I like the snot glob. However, I don't have one on my shirt... at least I hope I don't.

My brother, who is visiting, was playing the new one today and he stopped playing, got a really serious look on his face and said, "Can I have it?". "You're funny", I replied.

It is just an incredibly beautiful sounding guitar, period. Thanks, Lost Art Vintage!

;)
Willa
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-10-28 11:36 AM (#394376 - in reply to #394342)

Originally posted by WillaMuse:
The new one seems quite lighter weight-wise than the older one.
Interesting ... do the 30th anniversary reissues have the Lyracord GS micro-sphere bowls? If memory serves me, I think that would account for about a half a pound. And what did the originals have ... standard lyracord or hand-laid fiberglass?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)