The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New speaker and mixer- help!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Deblas
Posted 2011-04-30 5:30 PM (#1625)
Subject: New speaker and mixer- help!

Hey y'all,

You may recall me posting a while back and asking for suggestions for what I should play through. Well, I got a few days ago, and A&H Mixer (ZED series) and an RCF Art312a speaker.

Very exciting!

A little less exciting though when I find if I plug my guitar in, it is very, very quiet (maybe one or two lights coming up, nowhere near where it should start to clip... and that is when the gain dial and both faders are maxed out. I popped back in to the local sound store and they said the guitar should not be that quiet and most likely there is something wrong with it.

It is an Ovation custom legend, 1978... bought second hand in March, complete with a brand new battery. Suggestions? Anyone know what might be wrong? They have given me a name of someone who can look at it... and I am REALLY hoping it is not going to cost heaps to fix. It is all the original electrics on board. Are they likely to be stuffed by now? The owner said they were fine... but they would surely have a lifespan? And what would I do if they are stuffed????

Sorry, having a little bit of an offload there as it was very disappointing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
noah
Posted 2011-04-30 6:33 PM (#1626 - in reply to #1625)
Subject: Re: New speaker and mixer- help!

How are you connecting the guitar?

The 1/4 inch instrument level output on your guitar is intended for an instrument level input on an amp or preamp.

A Direct Box (DI) is needed to go from the 1/4 inch instrument level output of your guitar, into the line or mic level input on a mixer.

If your guitar has an XLR-output, you can go straight into an XLR-input on your mixer.
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-04-30 6:57 PM (#1627 - in reply to #1625)

It's possible the new battery is dead. Check that again.

Noah's also got a good point ... does your mixer have preamps built-in? There may be special high impedance inputs you need to use. Check the manual.
noah
Posted 2011-04-30 6:57 PM (#1628 - in reply to #1625)

One of my favorites is the old Boss AD-5. It serves as a DI and also provides stereo chorus, reverb, anti-feedback, etc.

Deblas
Posted 2011-05-01 12:49 AM (#1629 - in reply to #1625)

It's the A & H ZED12FX - and I am putting it into the instrument input- it has ones for instrument, line or mic- both the instrument and mic lines have preamps... also has built in effects, so wouldn't need the stereo chorus etc. I asked if it needed a DI box, and they said only to clean the signal up- should not affect volume.

I have only used it plugged in a handful of times. Could the battery be flat already? That would be very disappointing, but yes I will check that. Sigh. It means undoing all the strings. Grooooaaaaaan.
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-01 1:05 AM (#1630 - in reply to #1625)

Oh and a 1/4 inch output, no XLR. Also, the built in preamp was on the highest setting as well.
noah
Posted 2011-05-01 1:46 AM (#1631 - in reply to #1625)

I see where the ZED10FX has HiZ instrument inputs on channels 3 & 4, but A&H's literature online says that is unique to the ZED10/ZED10FX. The ZED12FX shows XLR Mic and 1/4" Line inputs on channels 1 thru 6. Did their Guitar DI subsequently get worked into the ZED12FX?
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-01 4:32 AM (#1632 - in reply to #1625)

I was meaning the built in pre-amp on my guitar was at its highest setting. But the 12FX says it has pre-amps for both of the mic and line chanels- more gain with the XLR input (mic) and then less for the line input (1/4 inch).

From the manual: "12Fx use a two stage deign, with carefully controlled amounts of gain in each stage...line level signals are simply plugged into the second stage of the preamp by using the line input jack socket. This has the great advantage of lower noise when using the line input."

Each chanel has its own dial to adjust the gain of the input amplifier to match the signal level of the input.

I don't really understand all of what this means EXACTLY- being a total newbie to electrified acoustic guitars, but the higher you turn the dial, the louder it should be... and the gain needed to be on full and the fader on maximum to get minimum sound. The sound guys said the DI box would not amplify the sound anymore. Correct or no? I have to say, I am confused now.
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-05-01 4:44 AM (#1633 - in reply to #1625)

The battery could be dead, especially if you inadvertently left a plug in it for a period of time. You should be able to get to the battery holder by just loosening the strings and not taking them all the way off. But the inside holders are a PITA.
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-01 5:27 AM (#1634 - in reply to #1625)

Mmm... okay, definitely sounds like I need to check the battery then. Thanks for the tip on loosening the strings. I am nervous about doing it as haven't done anything like it before.

I think there are instructions around here someplace, so I'll have a looksie.

Do you guys reckon I need a DI box? The Rock Shop guys recommended the LR Baggs Para DI... quite spensy... but if it will enhance the sound? Or can I get away with something cheaper, given the 12X also has good onboard EQ settings.
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-01 6:57 AM (#1635 - in reply to #1625)

Am armed with info- inc a youtube video to change the battery tomorrow. I can do it!!! :)
AussieJames
Posted 2011-05-02 12:36 AM (#1636 - in reply to #1625)

Just remember as Bobbo said earlier, don't leave the guitar plugged in when not in use. Inserting the plug switches on the preamp, and will chew the battery regardless whether the amp is on or not.

Good luck

AJ
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-02 3:11 AM (#1637 - in reply to #1625)

Hi all,

I can now confirm is it definitely NOT the battery that is the problem. I put in a brand new one and only the very bottom LED indicator light comes on- despite having tonnes of gain and faders on full (which is also putting out lots of hiss, because it should not need to go that high).

So tomorrow I will phone the local vintage guitar guy and get him to have a look. Maybe some of the wiring/ connections are getting a bit loose.
noah
Posted 2011-05-02 3:30 AM (#1638 - in reply to #1625)

Have you tried playing your guitar through an amp at your local guitar store?
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-02 4:37 AM (#1639 - in reply to #1625)

I have an acoustic amp of my Dad's that I am borrowing... it's a very basic Crate. But I don't know how loud it should get, not having played amplified anything before. So, yes I have played it through that, but not sure how it should be compared.
AussieJames
Posted 2011-05-02 5:13 AM (#1640 - in reply to #1625)

Well if you play it through the Crate can you get enough volume to make it feedback?

AJ
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-02 5:54 PM (#1641 - in reply to #1625)

I'll give that a go today.
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-09 12:57 AM (#1642 - in reply to #1625)

Sorry to take so long to get back on here. It's been a hell week, so the guitar issue has gone on hold. I took the guitar in today. He plugged it into an amp and hey voila, it worked fine. Sigh. I have another cable to try, so can cross that off my list of what ifs.

He also said though, that the signal SHOULD be coming much more strongly into the mixer, that I don't need a preamp or DI box. So, if the cable does not improve the situation, then it most likely is a problem with the guitar. I'll cart my mixer in as well next, as he doesn't think it will be the cable. He did wonder if it was my poor technological skills responsible- which it may well be... but I am pretty confident I am doing everything right with the mixer.
AussieJames
Posted 2011-05-09 4:32 AM (#1643 - in reply to #1625)

Did you try it through the Crate?

If it worked ok through the amp in the shop I doubt it is a guitar problem

AJ
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-05-10 12:44 PM (#1644 - in reply to #1625)

It could be a bad cable. There could also be a fault in the mixer. Did you try plugging into other channels? Also check the Pad switch.
Deblas
Posted 2011-05-12 1:43 AM (#1645 - in reply to #1625)

Tried the new cable, and it is HEAPS louder. The PFL indicator still does not go into the red, but almost... so I guess that is the problem fixed.

Thanks for all the replies!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)