The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Breadwinner wiring help.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

PaulUK
Posted 2008-04-11 12:10 PM (#45539)
Subject: Breadwinner wiring help.

Hi
Help please.
Finally got round to putting my Breadwinner bits back together. Down to the electrics now. Ok, so the "reds" are easy - nicely labelled on the pcb but .... there are an awful lot of black/earth wires! I have the two from the pups, plus a couple to earth the pup cases and then there is the earth from the mount plates. There seem to be two areas on the pcb that these could go.
Thanks

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2008-04-11 1:38 PM (#45540 - in reply to #45539)
Subject: Re: Breadwinner wiring help.

Piece of cake man!

MWoody
Posted 2008-04-11 2:28 PM (#45541 - in reply to #45539)

Paul,
I have some pics at home I'll have to go through and send you. Jerome has a wire color chartat his site that might help as well.
PaulUK
Posted 2008-04-12 1:37 PM (#45542 - in reply to #45539)

Thanks Mike
I await, but if they are anything like the one above well..........
Perhaps not.
Tried the schematic but, well they are schematics and I don't speak that language.
Paul
cholloway
Posted 2008-04-13 11:11 AM (#45543 - in reply to #45539)

Woody,
Local Telco installation?
Definetely not WECO!!!
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-04-13 11:15 AM (#45544 - in reply to #45539)

I don't know Colin... I've seen old WECO central offices that looked pretty much exactly like that.
Captain Black
Posted 2008-04-13 4:13 PM (#45545 - in reply to #45539)

Paul, try this - I'll explain as best I can -
If you have the back of the cct board facing you, you should have the battery connection wires fixed to the bottom left hand side.
You should see a solder point almost bang in the middle, right on the bottom edge - this is where the bridge/tailpiece earth wire goes.
The last soldering point on this line is also an earth point from the pickups.
Hope this is some help, wish I take a look at it for you to see what's going on -
If you need any more help, get in touch - let us know how you progress.
Any of your earth wires you have spare (if you know they're earths) should, in theory, be able to be fixed to this solder point.
PaulUK
Posted 2008-04-13 5:27 PM (#45546 - in reply to #45539)

Thanks Clyde
Had a quick look and that seems to be what I expected. There is also what looks like another solder point just to the right of this.
Looks good. Maybe I will try and take some pictures to be on the safe side.
Post in the US, get a reply from God's county.
My regards to Yorkshire
Paul
Captain Black
Posted 2008-04-13 6:02 PM (#45547 - in reply to #45539)

Paul - Here's something a bit more exact -
(Always good to have it written down, never know when you might need it !)

Shielded/Bare Metal Wire (From Bridge p/up)
- Goes to the solder point furthest right on bottom edge of cct board.

The x2 Black Wires from the Bridge p/up go to the solder point just next to it on the left.
(They are very close together)

The Black wire from the neck p/up, again goes to the first solder point I mentioned - furthest right on bottom edge.
If you have any wires left over !?! let me know and we'll see if we can sort it.
Best of Luck !
Captain Black
Posted 2008-04-13 6:12 PM (#45548 - in reply to #45539)

Paul, just in addition, you'll have a bare metal wire running from the bridge p/up to the neck p/up. If you're ok with the reds, this should tie everything up.
numbfingers
Posted 2008-04-13 9:07 PM (#45549 - in reply to #45539)

Here's a Breadwinner pickguard assembly. This one has brown ground wires on the neck pickup and black ones on the bridge pickup. All four wires go to the ground trace on one corner of the board. There's a separate through-hole for each. The bridge grounding wire is attached a little further down the trace. The "hot" wires are green and red. I must have detached them during one of my science projects.

Your Breadwinner may vary...

MWoody
Posted 2008-04-13 11:49 PM (#45550 - in reply to #45539)

Here's Mo...

Sorry to take so long. Yesterday was the Deck extension and BBQ and this morning was the Flu and and projectile heaving. going back to bed...
AussieJames
Posted 2008-04-14 5:27 AM (#45551 - in reply to #45539)

Hey, that looks suspiciously like the pile of bits and pieces I recieved from the US this morning :D
AJ
Captain Black
Posted 2008-04-14 6:14 AM (#45552 - in reply to #45539)

Hi, Paul - I get the impression that you have the earlier type pick-ups, if you're still struggling after all of the above, if you want to send me your address, I'll draw you a (straight forward) circuit diagram.
PaulUK
Posted 2008-04-15 1:47 PM (#45553 - in reply to #45539)

Great pictures - Thanks Mike.
And yes, Clyde, I do have the early original pickups. These have three wires, one red, two black - I suspect that the second black is the earth for the casing. Also the plates that that support them have bare earth wire. I will get some pictures asap, before I "plug in". Despite all the help I am still feeling a but .. "doh".
I have a glorious refurbished white Breadwinner with a fine pair of passive Gibsons. I have all the original parts and am aiming to switch the scratchplates and give the old system a try. But who knows, I may well revert to the Gibsons in the end.
Thanks again for all the help.
Paul
Captain Black
Posted 2008-04-15 3:41 PM (#45554 - in reply to #45539)

I'm quite envyous Paul - I had a black Breadwinner that I Ebay'd for a fraction of the price I bought it for, now I'm (kind of) on the outlook for another as I miss it quite a lot. (Always hankered after a white one really!) I ummmmed and ahhhhhhed over a couple that came up on Ebay as they seemed a bit pricey (£750 & £539 + postage) but wonder if I should have gone for them. The electrics on the one I had went kaput quite soon after I got it, and I ended up putting Gibson PAF's on.
Can't begin to tell you what a fantastic guitar I think they are.
Best of luck with it anyway Paul, keep us informed !
joe b
Posted 2008-06-08 10:51 AM (#45555 - in reply to #45539)

Can someone please email me a wiring diagram for this also? I have a white 1972 Breadwinner that had a loose capacitor. When taking the pickguard off (and neck), a back wire from the board came loose. I fixed the cap problem but do not know where this black wire solders to. It on the battery terminal side of the board - there are 3 black wire, 2 go to the terminal and I have no idea where this one goes. At the moment only the neck pickup works because of this issue. My guitar has the bigger pickups and differs than the board pictures here. HELP......I need somebody!
-Joe
joe.baiardi@jacobs.com
Captain Black
Posted 2008-06-08 4:39 PM (#45556 - in reply to #45539)

Hi Joe - You'll have the single coil Torodial type p/ups - If you can say a little more exactly where it's running from, I can probably help with this. Is it one of the Black wires from the bridge p/up that you can't find a connection point for?
joe b
Posted 2008-06-08 6:31 PM (#45557 - in reply to #45539)

Clyde.....it's this exact guitar and pickups.

It's a black wire that's coming off the the circuit board on the underside next to the 2 black wires that are paired up with reds to the battery connections. I'm not sure if it's solder to the bridge or somewhere else.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-06-08 6:49 PM (#45558 - in reply to #45539)

You may have TWO issues.

If you have at least two leads coming from each pickup, to the circuit board, and probably a third ground lead also coming to the circuit board, than the "extra" you have from the circuit board probably goes to the bridge. There should be a lug washer on the bridge post. Just look in the battery compartment. If the lug washer is broken, you can replace it, or just solder the ground to a washer and use it.

However,...... This wire not being hooked up might make things noisey...and it would effect BOTH pickups as it's just a ground.

There is also a chance, and I'll assume you checked, that the stray black wire belongs to one of the 9Volt leads. Again, this would affect BOTH pickups.

If one pickup isn't working, you need to test that pickup.

Unsolder it from the circuit board and check the impedance across the red an black leads. Should be somewhere around 7.5K ohms, maybe a little higher.

If the pickup in question is good, then check the solder points of the selector switch. If the board wasn't mounted properly, slight misalignment, can pop a solder joint over time.

For anyone replacing a switch, I mount the switch to the pickguard, then set the circuit board into place, then solder. This was I know none of the tangs are being stressed.
Captain Black
Posted 2008-06-08 7:36 PM (#45559 - in reply to #45539)

Joe - do you mean this wire is connected TO the cicuit board? Also is it positioned roughly in the middle of the cct board ? If so this is the Earth wire which connects to the bridge/tailpiece.
Don't know why this would give you bridge p/up failure though ! It would/should only cause hum.
joe b
Posted 2008-06-08 7:44 PM (#45560 - in reply to #45539)

Miles:
I will check it out. This is good info. So there really is a black wire coming from the board to the bridge? I solder it to the jack ground so that may be causing all of this mess. I will solder it to the bridge ground and see what happens.
If you have a picture of that wiring diagram, can you please send it?
Cheers
Joe
AussieJames
Posted 2008-06-08 8:05 PM (#45561 - in reply to #45539)

I've just resoldered this.
About to power it up see if there's any honk
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-06-08 8:37 PM (#45562 - in reply to #45539)

In the above picture from AussieJames you can see the little lug washer. It's hanging in this photo right near the upper left of the board, over the red 9v lead. That washer goes under the nut in the battery compartment that hold the bridge in.

Again, if you went to ground on the jack instead, it still shouldn't affect only one pickup, so I still am thinking you have two issues. One being the stray wire which being that it's black is a ground, the other is one pickup doesn't work.
AussieJames
Posted 2008-06-08 9:07 PM (#45563 - in reply to #45539)

Miles, do you have one of the switches next to the blue adjuster? You can see theres no toggle in it.
BTW I'm still working on the list.
AJ
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)