The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
John Denver's Adamas for sale

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

MusicMishka
Posted 2009-05-04 3:20 PM (#417084 - in reply to #417059)
Subject: Re: John Denver's Adamas for sale

After Denver's death, at a gathering of friends, I was asked to play something of Denver's. I know it was a tacky choice, but I did Forest Lawn......
Actually Paul, I think John would have loved it...it was always one of my favorites and I used to do it on a regular basis in my sets...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-05-04 6:40 PM (#417085 - in reply to #417059)

Around the time John Denver died, Mother Theresa and Princess Di, both died shortly beforehand. My reaction to Mother Theresa was: She had a good innings, lived a good life and if anyone was going to heaven, she will. Not upset at all.

To Princess Di: Rich bitch, lived the high life and still couldn't be happy. No sympathy.

To John Denver: This was the man who wrote and sang many of the significant songs of my adolescenthood. I was cut to pieces by his death.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-05-04 7:26 PM (#417086 - in reply to #417059)

Originally posted by TAFKAR:
Around the time John Denver died, Mother Theresa and Princess Di, both died shortly beforehand. My reaction to Mother Theresa was: She had a good innings, lived a good life and if anyone was going to heaven, she will. Not upset at all.

To Princess Di: Rich bitch, lived the high life and still couldn't be happy. No sympathy.

To John Denver: This was the man who wrote and sang many of the significant songs of my adolescenthood. I was cut to pieces by his death.
Interesting observations.
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-05-04 9:35 PM (#417087 - in reply to #417059)

I'm having a great time imagining all the pranks he and George Burns are pulling off.
elginacres
Posted 2009-05-05 8:33 PM (#417088 - in reply to #417059)

MusicMiska..I agree about Chapin too...'specially the cottonpatch stuff..w/ Lauderdale, Key, Marks, Ainsley, and Corum...good stuff.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-05-05 9:21 PM (#417089 - in reply to #417059)

It's awesome...highly recomemded!
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-05-05 11:33 PM (#417090 - in reply to #417059)

I was playing a restaurant gig in Ft. Meyers Florida in 1990. Four hour cover job, dinner background music...
I did Cat's in The Cradle, moved along to something else, may be Taxi. Took a smoke break and an older gentleman in a polyester suit came up, extended his hand and said, "thanks for playing my sons music". I was lost for a minute until I caught his last name, Chapin.

A few weeks later, he came back with Harry's wife Sandy, and Big John Wallace of the original Chapin band. That lead to an invite to a concert with brother Steve doing Harry's parts with the Chapin band, and a party afterward.
I had all the more respect for Harry when I met the people that he surrounded himself with in life.

The most telling thing I ever heard about Harry came from his mega star manager, Ken Kragen. He said the worst thing he could say about Chapin was that, every time he got him a career making booking, it inevitably conflicted with some charity event Harry was committed to.
That's a pretty sweet legacy.
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-05-06 7:22 AM (#417091 - in reply to #417059)

One of the best concerts I've ever seen was John Denver. He did a tour without any band to back him up. Just him and three guitars.

It takes a lot of talent for one man with a guitar to hold an audience. He did all his hits plus some newer material. Not only did he have a great voice, he could play guitar.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-05-06 11:57 AM (#417092 - in reply to #417059)

I just got off of the phone with the owner of the Denver Adamas 12 string...He really appreciated the info I provided about the guitar and is going to make the changes on the website...I have invited him to join us here and on the ning site...I also helped him with info on the other Ovation guitars John owned...very interesting conversation...
elginacres
Posted 2009-05-06 7:41 PM (#417093 - in reply to #417059)

Thanks Mike....I asked him about JDs Mossman Golden era custom....haven't heard yet...stephen...I'd bet Baxendale would like to know too.
stephent28
Posted 2009-05-06 9:08 PM (#417094 - in reply to #417059)

I bet Scott would be interested to hear about it. I wonder if it was pre-Scott buying the company or maybe even one that Scott built.
sligoman
Posted 2009-05-07 11:16 PM (#417095 - in reply to #417059)

Saw him here in Portland on a revolving stage. Had all of his records, but I think my favorites were from his last live gig for the forests or somesuch: "For You" and Whispering Jesse". He was a great talent. Are there any recordings from the Chad Mitchell trio days?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)