The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
New to Ovation: what to buy?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-04-28 3:05 PM (#417430 - in reply to #417405)
Subject: Re: New to Ovation: what to buy?

You said you tried out some Ovations. It could be you are more of a "shallow bowl guy". Did any of the shallow bowls just feel right?

I've had two mid bowls. I now have one deep and one super shallow. Could be like me, you're not as much a deep bowl guy? But like Beal says, buy it, and if it doesn't fit you, sell it and get something else.

I love my 1868 so much, as everyone here is sick of hearing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Anton17
Posted 2009-04-28 3:41 PM (#417431 - in reply to #417405)

Originally posted by Captain_Lovehandles:
You said you tried out some Ovations. It could be you are more of a "shallow bowl guy". Did any of the shallow bowls just feel right?
Originally posted by stephent28:
My guess is that this is Anton's first major acoustic purchase and he doesn't want to screw it up.
Bingo. These are the two things in my mind, really. I played the Ovations and I know the T357 at least was shallow body, and I don't think I had a problem with the sound... especially discounting the way it played.

I will be playing mainly through a PA. I know saying that, to most of you it's a no brainer, but I want that sound to be nice when I'm just playing in my room, and not on a fully amped up stage (even though I'd be doing that 6 nights a week). I'm a typical guitarist, I apologise, I want everything.
PEZ
Posted 2009-04-28 4:04 PM (#417432 - in reply to #417405)

Play with a conture bowl sitting standing and make sure it fits your playing style. For most people like it. It did not work out for me as I weat higher on my body.
Jack FFR1846
Posted 2009-05-05 4:19 PM (#417433 - in reply to #417405)

Anton,

Decide if you really want a shallow bowl for the playing comfort standing. I'm an electric player when I'm live. I've tried playing my mid-bowl Ovation and almost immediately put it down for one of my far thinner archtop or electrics. I am only comfortable with an acoustic sitting with it. But that's me. When performing, I ALWAYS am plugged in.

jack
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-05-05 5:02 PM (#417434 - in reply to #417405)

Anton,

I agree with Jack. I have a number of guitars and play almost exclusively live, plugged in, standing up, both rhythm and leads. Because I am a long-time electric player, the SSBs serve me very well in this capacity, and there are a number of other Ovation products that might work well for you (as an electric player). However, between the two alternatives listed, IMHO, the 1868 would be a more comfortable model to hold, handle and play. That said, the electronics in the 2778 are considered an upgrade, and if volume is an issue for you while playing unplugged, particularly the bass tones, then you'd likely be more satisfied with this model.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)