The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Michael Smith

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

standing
Posted 2009-04-12 1:49 AM (#419288)
Subject: OT: Michael Smith

I had the opportunity to see Michael (Peter) Smith perform this evening. He played a Martin, so it is off-topic… (I did tell him I was an Ovation player, and he said he likes the Ovation sound but isn't comfortable with the round back "staying put"… )

Anyway, what a pleasure it was to see and hear a true craftsman perform. His lyrics are so poetic and his mastery of fingerstyle guitar (and pretty much any other style he played) was humbling, to say the least.

Composers of his talent are few and far between, IMHO.

If you don't know who he is, you may still know his music. Probably his best-known composition is "The Dutchman" which I first heard by the late, great Steve Goodman. It is a hauntingly beautiful song, and Michael's rendition tonight was superb.

If you ever get the chance to see him, don't pass it up…

Anyway, here's his web site if anyone is interested:

Mike Smith
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-04-12 11:34 AM (#419289 - in reply to #419288)
Subject: Re: OT: Michael Smith

Hes great, i love that song"I Just Keep Falling In love".
standing
Posted 2009-04-12 5:19 PM (#419290 - in reply to #419288)

Originally posted by gulfcoast:
Hes great, i love that song"I Just Keep Falling In love".
Great song, I think Steve Goodman wrote that one himself, but I could be wrong… I don't have any version of it. Mike Smith also wrote "Dead Egyptian Blues" I think I first heard that by "Trout Fishing In America" on the radio… funny song…
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-04-12 6:25 PM (#419291 - in reply to #419288)

I've heard Mike Smith do his own tune, The Dutchman. I loved Steve Goodman's version and hated Smith's (almost like a dirge).

But Smith is a talented songwriter. On one of the live albums released after Goodman dies, he does a tremendously funny Smith song called The Wonderful World of Sex. I've often wondered how the old man I've seen in video doing The Dutchman could have written The Wonderful World of Sex.

Still don't know....
standing
Posted 2009-04-12 9:17 PM (#419292 - in reply to #419288)

He did a variety of songs last night, some hilariously funny, some achingly sad, and everything in between. You're right Moody, it's hard to believe some of those songs were penned by the same person, but that's part of his appeal to me, no two songs sounded alike, or even told similar stories…

I would certainly not say that he is a powerful vocalist either, but his vocals were sometimes pretty acrobatic, and certainly daring. As the evening proceeded, his voice really grew on me, but I was really more impressed by his lyrics and guitar playing. It was not fireworks, just effortless, complex, melodic finger-picking most of the time.

I always like to hear songs by the composer, even if they may not be as strong a singer as someone else who recorded their songs. I just feel that you get the most accurate interpretation of the emotion and motivation of a song from the composer. I like to hear Bob Dylan's versions of his songs, even though almost anyone else who records them has a better voice…

Mike's version of the Dutchman was really very moving last night, maybe a slightly slower tempo than the S.G. recording, but I don't think you'd call it a dirge… I bought his "anthology" CD last night and the version on it is good, too, IMHO.

Now, Steve Goodman… What a loss to us all… he was 36 when he died. I used to live in Chicago, and his "Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" and "Lincoln Park Pirates" were practically anthems around the city in those days.

Anyway, I enjoyed the concert, and I was very impressed by his Michael Peter Smith's songwriting. (not to be confused with Michael W. Smith, who apparently has hundreds of CDs out, since that's all I found when searching for Michael P. Smith on Amazon…)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-04-12 9:59 PM (#419293 - in reply to #419288)

Standing, this is good to hear because as I said before, my entire impression of Smith is based upon seeing a video of him doing the Dutchman, and also hearing him do it on a tribute album (to Steve Goodman).

It's good to hear that he's better than I thought.

As to Steve Goodman, did you read his biography (by Clay Eals)? About 700 pages, not an easy read, and outstanding. It may be time to go back and re-read it. Hard to believe he's been gone 25 years......
standing
Posted 2009-04-13 3:31 PM (#419294 - in reply to #419288)

Moody,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Steve Goodman book. I have not read it, but I would like to, so I will look for it…
standing
Posted 2009-04-13 3:50 PM (#419295 - in reply to #419288)

… found the Goodman book online and ordered it, thanks!
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-04-13 4:04 PM (#419296 - in reply to #419288)

Goodman was known for giving cowrite credit to who ever was in the room. On a live dvd that i have he credits Smith with a cowrite on "I just keep falling". He also gives him credit for it on the LP i have.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)